Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CAIRO military hospitals 1917. NASRIEH School

20th Division

Can anyone help with a location of this hospital in Cairo-- or a photo  please? Is it ( or was it) anywhere near the Memorial Cemetery in Old Cairo???

Thanks to a catch-up on old posts and a reply from "clk"--- Chris, I now have the name of the hospital in Cairo where my Gt uncle died on 20/11/17   (Walter Sealey 2/23rd Londons).  Mortally wounded on 7/11/17 at Tel esh Sheria. I was privileged to visit his grave back in 1997. Thanks. Dave.

Dave,

older threads on the Forum (e.g. this one) have this as the former Egyptian Government Primary School, known as Nasrieh School, which became a British Military Hospital with 584 beds.

And the IWM has a photo of it here.  

David.

Thanks David. Very much appreciate the photo link, from the size of its entrance gates it looks a lot bigger and more substantial than I guessed.

Hoping to return to Cairo some time, so I would like to locate the building and if it still survives, pay a visit. Again, "thanks". 

No problem.  Hope you are able to locate it. 

P.s. and if you do locate it, I and others would really welcome any photos or Street address you might be able to share.

Edited by David26
Added p.s.

Hi guys

Got a 1920 map of Cairo that shows the school next to the French Instititute which is still there-looks like the school has gone though

cheers

Dom.

nasriya school1.JPG

el nasriya school google.jpg

Dom,

That's fantastic.  Thank you.  Yes, sadly it does look like the school has disappeared and been replaced by a series of low rise buildings.  

David.

Thanks a lot Dom. GREAT picture and research-- and along with Chris and David's information this completes the picture of the final days of my Gt Uncle Walter after the mortal wounds he received at  Tel esh Sheria on 7th November. It would be great if any photos of Nasrieh  hospital emerge, in addition to that of the main gate forwarded by Chris.

It must have been a painful journey for my Gt uncle back from Sheria to this hospital in Cairo via sand cart, motor ambulance and train.  Interestingly he is buried ( 20th November 1917) in the CWGC Cemetery in OLD CAIRO---which is only about 3Km south of this now- located hospital at NASRIEH. Yes---seems the original building has now long-gone. 

When I visited the grave of mt Gt Uncle  in 1997, the two gardeners demonstrated the semi-automatic water sprinkler system that enables them to keep the lawns of this immaculately-kept cemetery so green. This was an amazing sight considering  the arid conditions of the area--even though it is close to the Nile. What a commendable job The CWGC and their gardeners do. The Cemetery was beautifully kept ---as indeed they all are here and elsewhere. Even though  my visit was over 20yrs ago the memory of how wonderful it looked still remains and thank you gentlemen for this information that now completes the picture. Regards. Dave.

Hi guys

No worries a pleasure to help-I think I went to a couple of lectrures at the French Institute when I did some work in Egypt a few years ago.

All the best

Dom.

Must have been a great experience to have "dug" in Egypt.  You must be a mine of great stories!  I've had a life-long fascination with ancient history--and was lucky enough to have squeezed in 3 or 4 trips down the Nile  plus one on Lake Nasser many years ago ---mooring up for a couple of nights immediately opposite the statue of Rameses 2 and can't tell you how great it was waking up at dawn and looking across to the great man himself  hours before the "tourists" arrived! Our second night was the night before the grand opening of the son-et-lumier and we were privileged  to watch the final rehearsals free-of charge with a grandstand view! PHEW---happy memories. 

Back to WW1, I digress. The great maps you kindly sent show that the  Nasrieh hospital was not that far from the Memorial cemetery where my Gt Uncle is buried. I will check it out on the CWGC website , but my first thoughts are that the ground started out as burials from this hospital because it is so close. It is a well kept cemetery --like they all are of course but can't get over how green it was in such an arid place. It was like stepping into an English Park . Sad thing was --our visit was on remembrance Sunday 1997 and at 11 we were the only ones there, plus the 2 great gardener. 

Thanks again Dom. Regards Dave

• 2 years later...

Thank you, researching Pte 3593 Samuel Ernest Thornley, 9th Bn Royal Warwickshire Regt. who died of wounds, incurred on 9 Aug 1915 at Gallipoli, at the Nasrieh School hospital - the Register of Effects spells it as Nazrieh.

Just now, charlie962 said:

You mean Thorley?

whoops yes Thorley - my dyslexia is getting worse as I age...

16 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

You mean Thorley?

Here is his page - a bit unusual as i found a picture of his original burial cross https://www.swfhs.org.uk/index.php/war-memorial-transcriptions/war-memorial-transcritions-s-z/stoneleigh-wm/16-the-men-who-fell-in-ww1/2658-lcpl-se-thorley

He is named on the Stoneleigh War Memorial (Church Plaque) https://www.swfhs.org.uk/index.php/war-memorial-transcriptions/war-memorial-transcritions-s-z/stoneleigh-wm

12 minutes ago, ianshuter said:

Here is his page -

Thorley was beaten up aged 14. There are lengthier reports in the local papers.

The_Kenilworth_Advertiser_07_August_1909_0005_Clip.jpg.4c97f6ee70d095e576bdcd0fad940e37.jpg

I see also that he worked for Daimler and there is mention of his name in the list of recruits from Daimler in 1916 local papers.

Thank you, I was going through the papers on Find My Past, his dad was a busy boy and there were/are a lot of articles to go through - I found that he is also on the Church Lads Brigade Roll of Honour.

I found the Daimler article and added the detail as a 1914 employment.

I tend not to mention "negative aspects" of their lives, I often find reports of convictions etc which I don't include, and leave it to others to find that stuff