Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MFA and MMR - explanation please

clive_hughes

I don't have the medals yet, just the photos to see if I'm interested in them. 

1 minute ago, horatio2 said:

The Admiralty MMR Medal Roll agrees:   SPICER, Francis E.,   Ast. Std.,   666692   Star, VM and BWM claimed by and issued to Self.

Thats great, thank you.

1 hour ago, KizmeRD said:

Spicer’s trio of medals were recently sold by the Saleroom auction house in Alnwick.

and again, incorrectly, described as "Assistant Stoker".

I wonder what a 'stoker's assistant. actually did or if such a rate even existed. Perhaps he held the stoker's spare shovel and mopped his sweaty brow.....

7 hours ago, horatio2 said:

and again, incorrectly, described as "Assistant Stoker".

I wonder what a 'stoker's assistant. actually did or if such a rate even existed. Perhaps he held the stoker's spare shovel and mopped his sweaty brow.....

Put new handles on his shovel, you know, like 'Triggers broom'.

🤣😂🤣😂

8 hours ago, horatio2 said:

I wonder what a 'stoker's assistant. actually did ..

Who knows? I've always wanted to see a medal issued to a Chuckler, Venerable Archdeacon, Smoke Attendant, Follower, or Ice Mechanic and many more.....

On 30/09/2023 at 22:39, horatio2 said:

The Admiralty MMR Medal Roll agrees:   SPICER, Francis E.,   Ast. Std.,   666692   Star, VM and BWM claimed by and issued to Self.

Is this the same man, h2? https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8097695

seaJane

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/10/2023 at 09:32, horatio2 said:

Possibly, sJ, but I have no way of confirming.

No, the Spicer I have is from Liverpool, I've a bit of research, which does tie in very tightly. 

Joined Cunard as a boy, was on the RMS Carmania, one of the first (if not the first) Armed Merchant Cruisers, it's worth googling its WW1 history..

20231016_160728.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hello @Mark in Staffs

If you take the time to read through this thread, it should be helpful in getting a feel for the difference that serving under a T.124 Agreement made, from a legal aspect. This ought to have no impact upon the pay of the mariner, the only material difference, from a record-keeping angle, being that they became eligible for the Victory Medal, and in a few instances, the 1914-15 Star. (Source: Hayward; Birch; Bishop (2006). British Battles and Medals (7th ed.). London: Spink. pp. 501–503.)

If serving in the MMR, the Admiralty would issue upon request a British War Medal. If, as a seafarer of the Mercantile Marine you did not sail under a T.124 Agreement, the Board of Trade would issue upon request a British War Medal.