Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for info as to what happened to this soldier

Steviebullsatatter

got a photo of this gentleman from a good friend.

Possibly from Coatbridge in Scotland.

Would appreciate any help in finding out about this gentleman 

IMG-20200926-WA0000.jpg

Robert Lewis

I can't distinguish e.g. RSF, NF, Royal Fusiliers, etc. by that cap badge. Ancestry shows 20 or more possible candidates with that name and serving in a Fusiliers regiment. Can't make out shoulder titles, no Imperial Service Tablet, no other clues that I can see.

I'll message them to see if I can get more information 

There are several MIC's and service records for Robert Lewis in fusilier regiments. so more info needed., Aprox year of birth, where born etc

Waiting to hear back 

Will post as soon as I hear

Thanks guys 

Steve 

yes johnboy

The lady who has the photo

Is at work at 5 tomorrow  so won't  hear back until tomorrow. 

Very frustrated 

Steve 

not sure johnboy

As soon as I know anything more I will post it on here 

L

Based on the shape I’d suggest it may be one of two Irish Fusilier Regiments, either the Munsters or Inniskillings, with maybe the Northumberland Fusiliers as an (unlikely?) outside chance.

Steve

Forum Pal irnbru1970 is the go-to man for Coatbridge soldiers, see his thread here

PS I've PMed him, just in case

Edited by Pat Atkins

12 hours ago, johnboy said:

Could Coatbridge  come under Strathclyde?

It did at one point. Back then it was part of Lanark (County) and nowadays it's returned to be part of North Lanarkshire. From the 1911 Census it was Lanark County. Seeing two Robert Lewis on the census - one aged 39 who could be discounted, the other was 24 in 1911 so a possible.

There are three Robert Lewis casualties on SNWM.  Two were A&SH and one was 23712 1st Royal Irish Fusiliers - however he was born and from from Bridgetown (and pension card shows his mother in Bridgetown).

You fellas are amazing....a wealth of information. 

I've spoken to my friend this morning and he's messaged the family member for more info but she works nights so it'll probably be later on.

Thanks 

Steve 

⁹Hi Holytown is now part of Motherwell but is indeed very close to Coatbridge. Lots of Irish (my own great grandparents too), worked in the mines in the area and settled in the area. They moved around a lot including Coatbridge, etc. 

I have searched through the Coatbridge Roll of Honour book and the only the man with the surname 'Lewis' that I can see that was part of a Fusiliers Regiment was a John Lewis who was from Coatbridge but served in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers - Private John Lewis, 45 Church St, Coatbridge, 38736, 16th Battalion.

For comparison. Configuration of the flames above the grenade don't seem to fit the badge in the photo particularly well? Forum Pals Frogsmile and Meurrisch are both RWF folk, and could probably pronounce one way or the other.

image.png.0636015d4f6d1afef6725763010e90d5.png

Edited by Pat Atkins