Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New kid on the block - 'The Great War Group'

NigelS

Chanced on this earlier. Unless I've missed it, I don't think it's been mentioned on  here previously: The crowd funded 'The Great War Group'  Some familiar names involved; If nothing else, some interesting images on the Twitter feed.

NigelS

I've been following on FB. I'm slightly dubious: there's a £40 subscription, with a magazine (sorry, 'Journal'), etc, but no idea what the Journal will include. I already subscribe/belong to several other organisations (and am, in fact, cancelling some), so I'm reluctant toy pay up without having some idea of what, exactly, the Journal will look like.

I've let my WFA membership lapse as I was only really skimming the magazine of late. I also scrubbed a couple of others that I'd more or less stopped reading.

I follow the "new kids" on Twitter but that will be the extent of my involvement.

Bernard

• 4 weeks later...

I wish them all the best but it is not for me.  Despite the catch all title, there is nothing there for a maritime historian

Edited by Hyacinth1326

There are some friends involved, and I appreciate the frustrations that some felt/feel with the WFA, but I remain unconvinced about the need for another organisation seeking to be a newer/better alternative WFA. I too am  unlikely to subscribe. I have more material to read than I will complete in my lifetime, and like Bernard, I generally skim the WFA magazines, and read properly maybe a couple of articles a year.

I wish them well, but withe centenary bwhind us, I am not sure that another great war organisation really has a future.

The GWG isn't trying to compete with the WFA. The timing of its arrival, coming after the WFA's BdW fiasco (the exact words used by the new WFA Chair) and the resignations of three trustees (including one who had only been on board since last year), is purely coincidental. The GWG's aims are not dissimilar to the WFA's but it is going to try and achieve them in a more active way and in doing so it may well end up appealing to a different section of society. Alex and Beth are absolutely passionate about the Great War as are the trustees. The only weak link I can see is their education officer.

I know who Alex is, but who is Beth, please?

Beth is the other half of the Alex/Beth duo  ;)

Her bio should be on their website but in outline she studied the Great War as an undergraduate (Birmingham) and as a post-graduate (Wolves). She has recently started a blog but she is not yet a published author. She is an active battlefield guide.

Looks like some familiar faces.  Great to see some of them look 1/3 my age!  So an interesting future if it all takes off.  I wish them well.

Well, at least they intend to include all nations, I read... I am sceptical.

For the rest, I remain unconvinced. I was surprised to see Chris Baker there though. He's probably the only person I know, apart from Alexandra Churchill (only from TV) and Gareth (from the forum).

And why do you need crowdfunding to start an organisation?

I looked at the group with a view to joining, however, as soon as I saw the name of a certain author who (unlike many on here) I really do not rate, listed as a partner, my interest wained.

1 hour ago, AOK4 said:

Well, at least they intend to include all nations, I read... I am sceptical.

For the rest, I remain unconvinced. I was surprised to see Chris Baker there though. He's probably the only person I know, apart from Alexandra Churchill (only from TV) and Gareth (from the forum).

And why do you need crowdfunding to start an organisation?

I am guessing it was needed to pay for the website and the first journal. Every organisation needs to start somewhere and to do that it needs money. I think they wanted to have the think up and running before they asked people to join as members.

47 minutes ago, caulkheader said:

I looked at the group with a view to joining, however, as soon as I saw the name of a certain author who (unlike many on here) I really do not rate, listed as a partner, my interest wained.

I know that Peter isn't to everyone's liking but to be put off by one of the partners seems a little over sensitive. But each to their own.

“diversity” - why the quotations? 

Likewise “journal” 

And you don’t know that there is nothing for a maritime historian as there hasn’t been any content published yet. 

And why would you be “surprised” to see Chris involved? For he at least is the very opposite of a war snob who thinks he’s better than others with an interest. We’re thrilled to have him. 

Really gentleman, you are of course free to invest in whatever you do, or do not wish to; but crapping on something that is eight weeks old and endeavouring to do something positive is in churlish, poor taste, I think. And completely indicative of why so many people who have immediately joined did not feel that there was anywhere for them to go to share their enthusiasm 

Each to their own, I can see I haven’t been missing much in my absence from the forum. 

Wishing you all well in these turgid times, 

Alex - whose only credit worthy of mention appears to be “off the TV”. 

I hope I'm not crapping on anything: as I said earlier in the discussion (and posted on the FB site), I would like to know more before I invest. Like others here, I already seem to have more subscriptions to journals than I can properly manage, so before I fork out forty notes, I'd like to see what I'm getting. 

It might not be feasible, but could, as a one-off introduction to the new venture (which I wish well - honestly) it not be possible to sell a copy of the first edition as a one-off taster, so that we can see the quality/value of the end product?

4 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

Beth is the other half of the Alex/Beth duo  ;)

Her bio should be on their website but in outline she studied the Great War as an undergraduate (Birmingham) and as a post-graduate (Wolves). She has recently started a blog but she is not yet a published author. She is an active battlefield guide.

I looked at the website but missed the biography section. I'll try again.

Yes we have done an extended print run of the first issue, and we will sell them individually through the website so that people can get a taste. You might perhaps want to do this for the first two. The theme of a Remembrance (the theme each time

accounts for some 30-35%) means it’s less combat led. The second; in February will be on the Spring Offensives and will be a better indication of what you can expect on a regular basis. 

11 minutes ago, freddy1918 said:

Yes we have done an extended print run of the first issue, and we will sell them individually through the website so that people can get a taste. You might perhaps want to do this for the first two. The theme of a Remembrance (the theme each time

accounts for some 30-35%) means it’s less combat led. The second; in February will be on the Spring Offensives and will be a better indication of what you can expect on a regular basis. 

Thanks. I'll give that a spin.

1 hour ago, freddy1918 said:

“diversity” - why the quotations? 

Likewise “journal” 

And you don’t know that there is nothing for a maritime historian as there hasn’t been any content published yet. 

And why would you be “surprised” to see Chris involved? For he at least is the very opposite of a war snob who thinks he’s better than others with an interest. We’re thrilled to have him. 

Really gentleman, you are of course free to invest in whatever you do, or do not wish to; but crapping on something that is eight weeks old and endeavouring to do something positive is in churlish, poor taste, I think. And completely indicative of why so many people who have immediately joined did not feel that there was anywhere for them to go to share their enthusiasm 

Each to their own, I can see I haven’t been missing much in my absence from the forum. 

Wishing you all well in these turgid times, 

Alex - whose only credit worthy of mention appears to be “off the TV”. 

I see you react to some of my remarks and you are obviously somehow involved.

I didn't mean anything negative nor positive by saying I was surprised to see Chris Baker. And to be honest, yes, I only know Alexandra Churchil (which is you, I assume) only from TV. You may be surprised that there are people who are busy researching the First World War for over twenty years mainly from the German side and thus do not know all British researchers (especially as very few include the German side in their research). I am an independent historian and do take the trouble of funding my archive trips (Belgium, Germany and UK) on my own, hence my comment on the crowdfunding.

I have seen several projects and associations started in those years, so, yes, am I allowed not to be immediately overexcited over another new project. I hope it works out fine and it adds something to the First World War studies. Who knows, I may be interested to become a member if it would really be interesting (from my perspective). I just remain at the side for the moment and see what happens, 60 £ is a lot of money.

Jan

PS: instead of reacting like you did, you could have explained a bit more about your organisation in a more positive way. I was not "crapping" on this, but I was just saying I was skeptical because of past experiences. Convince me that I should become more enthousiastic.

7 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

The only weak link I can see is their education officer.

Who could possibly disagree 😂

18 hours ago, freddy1918 said:

'And you don’t know that there is nothing for a maritime historian as there hasn’t been any content published yet'. 

Issue 1

Features:

The Evacuation of Cape Helles – Peter Hart
The Story of the Menin Gate – Alexandra Churchill
On the “Grave Di Papadopoli,” October 1918 – Andrea Bianchi

Articles also included: The development of the light machine-gun, Givenchy 1914, WW1 and Living Memory, Local Remembrance, The Ancient Echoes of Modern Commemoration, the early work of the Australian National War Memorial, the Power of Words; WW1 Epitaphs and Remembrance in France, Australia, Denmark and the United States.

Regular content includes: Myths and Mysteries of the Great War, content from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, Home Fronts, Book Reviews, Research Tips, Mapping the Great War and much more.

So instead of ranting against (mild) scepticism, try a little persuasion.   The onus is upon you to sell the thing, after all.

Judging from the features of Issue 1 (as evidenced by web site content) I was quite correct, there does not appear to be anything for the maritime historian.  

If there was evidence of a reasonable level of primary research from British and German maritime sources, rather than the usual hackneyed retreads, I would give it a go.  Until then I will stick with dry academic journals, thanks.  I must be one of those 'war snobs' you speak of - nevertheless I wish your venture well.

Edited by Hyacinth1326

I am surprised to find myself on the GWG website, really. I have only written a short article for the first journal and am preparing one for a later edition. 

The way it is being set up and the strong initial reliance on social media will surely mean that it attracts a different audience to WFA and GWF. That's good. I wish it well. A younger, more diverse membership with a broad range of interests around the subject is long overdue.

Added:

For Jan (AOK4) and indeed anyone else concerned that there may not be a good high quality representation from the German/any other side of things, be assured that the GWG organisers are actively seeking to bring it in. There is already great representation from historians working on the Austro-Hungarian and Italian aspects and I am sure you would be welcomed if you'd like to help. Same is true of maritime and air history and anything else you'd like to see.

Edited by Chris_Baker

I think Chris makes a very important point that applies to the GWG and all other membership organisations. If you think that they aren't covering your pet subject, offer to get involved by writing something for them. Engage. Get involved. 

I have read these comments with interest and I can understand some of the skepticism articulated in the comments. 

I for one am an enthusiastic supporter of the group and have watched with interest its development. 

Full marks to Alex and Beth in getting this off the ground and I applaud their attempt to broaden the audience through social media and their attempt to be more inclusive. 

I think it is an interesting concept but I'm not big on "the socials" so I'm not sure how involved I could be.  I'm not trying to score points here but I couldn't see anything on the website about potential contributors.  No guide or point of contact.

I'm excited to see what evolves with the Great War Group.  It's great that something has been set up & hoping to see a diverse range of topics covered, not just the WF from a British perspective.  Hopefully it augments (rather than detracts from) the WFA and the GWF.

I can understand some of the reluntance expressed here, but i am with Chris, I'd like to see the outputs before making any comments.

I wish it well.