Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New kid on the block - 'The Great War Group'

NigelS

1 hour ago, Heid the Ba said:

I think it is an interesting concept but I'm not big on "the socials" so I'm not sure how involved I could be.  I'm not trying to score points here but I couldn't see anything on the website about potential contributors.  No guide or point of contact.

Contact them. Make an offer.

They want a range of stuff. Ask them.

5 hours ago, Heid the Ba said:

I think it is an interesting concept but I'm not big on "the socials" so I'm not sure how involved I could be.  I'm not trying to score points here but I couldn't see anything on the website about potential contributors.  No guide or point of contact.

Hopefully this helps: 

More details about what we might be looking for below:

https://greatwargroup.com/news/salient-points-have-your-say/

I wish GWG well, howewer crowded the marketplace is.   I note that it says it is a charity but appears not to be listed with the Charity Commission. I hope this is just an oversight.

I am sure that the Education Officer will make provision for the odd article about tanks.......

17 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

I wish GWG well, howewer crowded the marketplace is.   I note that it says it is a charity but appears not to be listed with the Charity Commission. I hope this is just an oversight.

I am sure that the Education Officer will make provision for the odd article about tanks.......

Please do not cast aspersions on our charitable objectives. We were formed in June as a foundation CIO. In that time we have had to recruit appropriate trustees, and raise the funds to engage a solicitor to ratify and amend our constitution. If you can get the authorities to work any faster in a global pandemic so far as issuing us with a registered number etc. I’d be staggered. 

39 minutes ago, freddy1918 said:

Please do not cast aspersions on our charitable objectives. We were formed in June as a foundation CIO. In that time we have had to recruit appropriate trustees, and raise the funds to engage a solicitor to ratify and amend our constitution. If you can get the authorities to work any faster in a global pandemic so far as issuing us with a registered number etc. I’d be staggered. 

There is no intent to cast aspersions at all- Merely that I zapped CC to see what "Aims and Objectives" are listed with them.  I have no doubt at all that matters are all in hand with CC. BUT you should not claim to be what you are not-even with-obviously- the greatest possible probity in the face of British administration. Perhaps re-write that line on the website until the situation is formalised-and the CC Reg. details tucked down the bottom somewhere.?

Well as people on here have intimated “don’t knock it until you try it”.

Having navigated to their Facebook page and had a look at the set up, I made my way to the website and read the proposed content for the publications due out next year, I have made the decision and taken out a subscription.
Like the WFA and GWF if it is not to your taste you can cancel your membership.

I‘m now looking forward to receiving my welcome pack and “Salient Points” publication No.1😁

I shall probably be ejected or suspended for this. 

Good luck to the GWG, because in my opinion both the WFA and the GWF [yes, this GWF] are showing their age, and some sections of this forum are in my opinion moribund, with many knowledgeable members rarely posting, even in areas of their expertise. Worse still, other valuable members have voted with their fingers and ceased to even lurk.

Unless organisations "reinvent" or "refresh", they are overtaken. This will become increasing obvious here when the last ripples of Centenaries and the Unknown Warrior dampen down.

I shall not join the GWG, but will continue to lurk here, more out of habit than enthusiasm.

26 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

Unless organisations "reinvent" or "refresh", they are overtaken

A good point but it begs the question as to whether GWG wish to supplant or to complement. To me,it looks like a bit of both.  What I hope will not happen is destructive competition for the same customer base. GWG looks to be pitched at a somewhat younger audience and looks similar in outlook to the BBC History Magazine when it started. The trick is whether it pulls in a new cohort of enthusiasts.  To use the old Soviet phrase, perhaps "peaceful co-existence" is the order of the day.

One of my local primary schools had a project to commemorate the Great War which meant building a desk-top size replica of a trench system (allbeit the trenches were about 2" deep) out of plasticine. That is as much "interest" or "enthusiasm" or "involvement" as anything GWG, WFA or GWF do. That is,,there is no single path to virtue. 

(As GWG look set to transmit "offers" to its members, I wonder if it will go the same way as "Who Do You Think You Are"- The Society of Genealogists used to run their fair-slightly stuffy and full of local family history groups-Then "Who Do You Think" effectively hijacked the thing and the stalls became  reclining chairs and Stena stairlifts,etc. Oh what treats await!!)

1 hour ago, Muerrisch said:

I shall probably be ejected or suspended for this. 

Good luck to the GWG, because in my opinion both the WFA and the GWF [yes, this GWF] are showing their age, and some sections of this forum are in my opinion moribund, with many knowledgeable members rarely posting, even in areas of their expertise. Worse still, other valuable members have voted with their fingers and ceased to even lurk.

Unless organisations "reinvent" or "refresh", they are overtaken. This will become increasing obvious here when the last ripples of Centenaries and the Unknown Warrior dampen down.

I shall not join the GWG, but will continue to lurk here, more out of habit than enthusiasm.

I think you are right, noting that the GWG wasn't set up to compete with the WFA and in theory there is room for both. 

Have to say I do not believe that this is a question of competing for the same customer base at all. Look at the people who have founded this, those who have stepped up as trustees, and those who are contributing to the journal so far. Apart from me and one or two others, do they look like typical WFA members to you?

After taking a look at the website, twitter & Facebook pages I have decided to sign up & have just done so. A lot of work seems to have gone into setting up the group and I think it worth a punt. A bit of support early on could make a big difference to what is a "fledgling" project. Looking forward to the welcome pack & 1st edition of "Salient Points."

I seem to remember there was another publication called "Salient Points", indeed several of them, authored by Tony Spagnoly and Ted Smith, published by Pen and Sword.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Yes; Salient Points One, Two, Three, Four, and Five.

• Admin

I hope that the magazine is proof read better than a publication by one of the GWG committee which is sadly riddled with errors. I wish you well, I won't subscribe as it will end up like most other journals I've subscribed to over the years, taking up space and unread. 

Michelle 

On 14/09/2020 at 11:04, Gareth Davies said:

Beth is the other half of the Alex/Beth duo  ;)

Her bio should be on their website but in outline she studied the Great War as an undergraduate (Birmingham) and as a post-graduate (Wolves). She has recently started a blog but she is not yet a published author. She is an active battlefield guide.

Am I wide of the mark, or are these two ladies the same ones that were trying to set up a museum in Courcelette a couple of years ago?

Quite some miles wide of the mark.

1 minute ago, Gareth Davies said:

Quite some miles wide of the mark.

That was quick Gareth!

Was only wondering, like. 😐

3 hours ago, caulkheader said:

Am I wide of the mark, or are these two ladies the same ones that were trying to set up a museum in Courcelette a couple of years ago?

I may be wrong with this as I can only vaguely recall it, but I think that it may have been the initiative of Paul Reed's daughter, Poppy. So no connection with this group.

Yes, it was Poppy.

On 15/09/2020 at 12:37, Heid the Ba said:

Hi. If you follow the link to Latest News-Salient Points you will see an entry on how much we would like contributors from all over the world on any Great War topic and an email address to contact. It's maybe a bit too hidden but the website is a work in progress (web designers not being the easiest of people at times so bear with us.

Jim (Trustee)