Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boer war and Great war trio

jwp2007

25 minutes ago, HarryBettsMCDCM said:

s-l400.jpg

Just seen your AEU post....! Extremely plausible. Any ideas about the dominant engineering industries in Lancaster at that time?

EDIT: if you look at the image in the OP I reckon you can see something along the edges of the triangle which could match the words on the badge you posted (‘EDUCATE / ORGANISE / CONTROL’)

Edited by headgardener

many thanks all, good call on the engineering union badge !. just out of interest there is a war memorial village opened after the great war located in Lancaster,

https://westfieldmemorialvillage.co.uk/

003.JPG

Edited by jwp2007
link added

10 hours ago, HarryBettsMCDCM said:

The lapel badge looks more like a Union badge....Amalgamated Engineering Union

s-l400.jpgHi All, I agree. VINTAGE ENAMEL BADGE - AEU - Amalgamated Engineering Union - £5.99 ...

The badge in the photo doesn't have the 3 points of the triangle meeting the outer circle but this one does. However ....this is a vintage example which is more of a match. The AEU was formed in 1920.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

24 minutes ago, The Inspector said:

Hi John,

Can you enlarge the image of the left hand? It looks as though it may be deformed.

Regards Barry

Capturetr2.JPG

Hi John and all,

Thanks for the above image. Have you tried putting your fingers in the same position? It's not easy. I have to force my ring finger down to achieve the same image. Perhaps that has something to do with the unusual pose.

Regards Barry

Easy to get your fingers in that position, even I can do it and have arthritis in my hands. Depends on how you use your hands and fingers as well. If you have nimble fingers due to your trade or job, or play the piano or even guitar, the pose is not at all difficult.

12 hours ago, headgardener said:

Just seen your AEU post....! Extremely plausible. Any ideas about the dominant engineering industries in Lancaster at that time?

EDIT: if you look at the image in the OP I reckon you can see something along the edges of the triangle which could match the words on the badge you posted (‘EDUCATE / ORGANISE / CONTROL’)

The main industry in Lancashire was Cotton ,with its attendant engineering

9 minutes ago, HarryBettsMCDCM said:

The main industry in Lancashire was Cotton ,with its attendant engineering

So, a plausible line of enquiry:

We may be looking at a photo of an AEU member - possibly a Union official - who would have been about 50 years old in about 1930, who was an old soldier with service in the Boer War (QSA & KSA) plus the BEF in 1914. He is probably from Lancaster or thereabouts, and appears to have been married. 

2 hours ago, headgardener said:

So, a plausible line of enquiry:

We may be looking at a photo of an AEU member - possibly a Union official - who would have been about 50 years old in about 1930, who was an old soldier with service in the Boer War (QSA & KSA) plus the BEF in 1914. He is probably from Lancaster or thereabouts, and appears to have been married. 

I suppose its possible he served with a battalion of the Kings own (Lancaster) regiment which were active in the Boer war as well as the great war, but with the engineering connection could have been RE ?

Imho, I'd say that 2 clasps each on the QSA / KSA is suggestive of service at base or on lines of communication, so RE or ASC must be strong candidates and would fit with this man's apparent background in engineering. 

Edited by headgardener

The most commonly seen clasps on the QSA are - Cape Colony, Orange Free State & Transvaal, so it might be two of these.

They are also commonly seen on Infantry Regiments & RA as well. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi there, would it be possible to use this photo in a book I'm writing on Boer War veterans? It is a great photo which I would love to use to illustrate my book. Kind regards, George Tanton

You are welcome, regards Roger

On 15/11/2020 at 17:57, George Tanton said:

Hi there, would it be possible to use this photo in a book I'm writing on Boer War veterans? It is a great photo which I would love to use to illustrate my book. Kind regards, George Tanton

I have no problem with that,

regards, John.