Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boer war and Great war trio

jwp2007

Another of todays postcard pick ups, looks to be wearing a Queens and Kings South Africa medal and WW1 trio, not sure if the lapel badge has any great war connection, Lancaster Photographers mark.

John.

settle0003b.jpg

I like images like this - very informal stance, medals in the wrong order, worn on individual pins rather than a bar. Looks like a 14 star trio, btw.

14 minutes ago, headgardener said:

I like images like this - very informal stance, medals in the wrong order, worn on individual pins rather than a bar. Looks like a 14 star trio, btw.

Thanks, me too ! its a great image.

John.

You might think the veteran would know since Victoria preceded her son Edward she would come first in the medallic wearing order!

Judging by the wearing pin & poor mounting job, I kind of wonder if he has lost his clasp to the 1914 star as well. 

Interesting image, Thanks for posting.

Best...Bryan

Edited by RNCVR

23 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

You might think the veteran would know since Victoria preceded her son Edward she would come first in the medallic wearing order!

Judging by the wearing pin & poor mounting job, I kind of wonder if he has lost his clasp to the 1914 star as well. 

Interesting image, Thanks for posting.

Best...Bryan

Thanks Bryan.

7 hours ago, headgardener said:

Clearly an old regular - QSA / KSA plus a 14 star. Do you have a name for him?

sadly no, nothing written on card but has an impressed photographers name of P.Turner, Lancaster.

The lapel badge - could it be from the Institute of Advanced Motoring (I think that was it's name but I could easily be wrong!)?

aim.

The Institute of Advanced Motorists was founded in 1956. Does he look old enough to have the QSA and the lapel badge?

Edited by aim
Getting name and date right (according to Wikipedia).

14 minutes ago, aim said:

The lapel badge - could it be from the Institute of Advanced Motoring (I think that was it's name but I could easily be wrong!)?

Yes, that's what it's called, and Yes I think you could well be right! Wise to get more opinions on this, but that's a very good spot! 

If it is the IAM, then that could suggest that he was an ASC MT driver. 

Could be a ROSPA, founded in 1916, badge.

On 14/08/2020 at 21:48, headgardener said:

And Bwm wrong way round. 

25 minutes ago, Coldstreamer said:

And Bwm wrong way round. 

Indeed, although I've seen it worn that way round so often that I've almost come to regard it as a normal variant. I guess some people preferred the drama of the reverse side of the medal to the regal obverse. 

Edited by headgardener

1 hour ago, jwp2007 said:

thanks all, maybe a badge like this ROSPA one.

Yes, or a lapel version of the IAM crest as suggested by forum member 'aim'. I could only find the car-mounted version.... 

image.png.6339e2d08a934a752cab291d69e1c243.png

Hi All,

jwp2007 can you blow up the lapel badge?  Any more info. on the photographer's address, dates of occupation etc. 

I'm up for the challenge to identify this man. IAM lapel badges did exist photo below is an Examiner's badge

RARE-Vintage-Institute-Of-Advanced-Motorist-EXAMINER-Enamel-Badge-Pin

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Hi All

If the badge is an IAM badge then clearly this man is going to be 70+ years of age at the time the photo. was taken.  As he has the KSA then he would have completed 18 months service prior to 1.6.1902. which means he was involved in the conflict prior to 1st Dec. 1900. Date of birth probably 1881/2? Anyone any thoughts?

Regards Barry

Actually, I didn't notice that the IAM only came into existence in the 50's and my best guess about the age of the photo (based on its general 'look', style of clothing, background) would be early 1930s give our take a few years, so he'd be 50+ I reckon. A shot of the reverse of the card might help us date it - simple things like the font or the layout can provide clues. 

Hi All

He was obviously proud of his entitlement to wear his medals and in particular his lapel badge, hoping for a bigger image soon. Photo  after 1920/21?

This is a vintage IAM badge, so doubt it is this in the photo, wrong background. The white background is from 1970s

s-l1600.jpg

Regards Barry 

Edited by The Inspector

scan of back of card, impressed mark P.Turner, Lancaster, cant get much of an enlargement of badge. John.

settle0006.JPG

Capture.JPG

7 hours ago, headgardener said:

Yes, or a lapel version of the IAM crest as suggested by forum member 'aim'. I could only find the car-mounted version.... 

image.png.6339e2d08a934a752cab291d69e1c243.png

I have googled "image rospa badge" and "image iam badge". Got lots of illustrations, still favour Institute of Advanced Motorists but worried about the age of the wearer.

aim.

The lapel badge looks more like a Union badge....Amalgamated Engineering Union

s-l400.jpg

Edited by HarryBettsMCDCM

3 minutes ago, HarryBettsMCDCM said:

The lapel badge looks more like a Union badge....

Funny, I was also wondering whether that might be the case. His clothing and demeanour are very much that of a working class man with some degree of authority.

Yes IAM was a tad optimistic for a Boer War Veteran more of a WW2 veteran thing, much more a working class hero!

Any idea of the dominant industries in Lancaster? 

I reckon the ‘look’ of the photo plus the backing of the card point to the 1930s (and probably closer to the early part of that decade).