Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry - Feb 1916 - two men

Aurel Sercu

Aurel

Read the article last night. It reads very well and your logic in terms of identifying who it might be is very strong and persuasive.

John

• 1 year later...

Hello, Harold Curtis was my Great Grandmothers younger brother. I was doing some research yesterday when I came across this forum. I was very interested to read the information posted.

Hello Louise,

Yes, in the summer of 2020 I did some research on that specific row in Talana Farm Cemetery, because it's the only 1916 row, and I was particularly interested in the Unknown grave. And tried a possible ID. Though I knew from the start I would never find a definitive result.

Anyway, I concluded my research end of August / beginning, and wrote an article (for myself in the first place) beginning of September 2020.

If you want me send it to you, you can contact me, in a PM or an e-mail (when clicking on me).

Should that do not work, maybe because you are a new member, you can contact me directly by e-mail (so that I know your e-mailaddress, if you have no objection). Then I will send the article (PDF 22 pages, 5 or 6 MB, but with many illustrations).

aurel.sercu[@]telenet.be

Drop the square brackets [  ]. I used them here to camouflage my e-mail address in public.

Best wishes from grey and wet Flanders,

Aurel

4 hours ago, Louise Jeynes said:

Hello, Harold Curtis was my Great Grandmothers younger brother. I was doing some research yesterday when I came across this forum. I was very interested to read the information posted.

From The Reading Observer, 4th March, 1916.

Courtesy of the British Newspaper Archive 

Screenshot_20211116-141057.jpg

Thanks, Sadbrewer, for this additional information.

These names were brought back to life again. Yes, 'again'. For last Thirsday (Armistice Day) I popped in in Talana Farm Cemetery, and reading each of the over 500 names on the headstones, aloud, spared a few extra seconds at the headstone of the Unknown Soldier in that row, wondering : Will I ever know who you are ? Curtis or Norcott ?

Aurel