Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dardanelles Campaign

domsim

All

I have confirmed that the book is available and have some initial contact information. I just sent an e-mail to get a method of ordering and price. I am working this informally, so I don't know whether I can get results. If nothing else, I have asked whether a local bookdealer in Ankara can handle the purchase for us.

More to follow (I hope)!

Jeff

Various enquiries made by myself and others of many book outlets in Istanbul seemed to confirm that the Turkish General Staff publications were typically not availabe through the book trade in general, though there may be the odd exception. I believe "Eceabat"'s wife Serpil drew much the same result when she trawled Istanbul on our behalf.

Martin

It has been my experience that one must travel to Ankara to purchase copies of the official histories. There is a bookstore in Istanbul and another in Ankara with which I have done business. Both have on occasion 'gone shopping' in Ankara for titles in the WWI and Turkish War of Independence series for my library.

I am fairly sure the book in question is a translation of the book below. It is a good overview of the campaign and adds much to the Turkish side of the fight. However, it is not as detailed as the Turkish three volume set, or the UK and Commonwealth histories. It does provide excellent OB data, and some insight in the battles themselves.

Jeff

post-4942-1118791702.jpg

I would also like to register my interest please, would love to get hold of a copy. I was also scouring the bookshops of Istanbul a couple of weeks ago with no luck. The Military Museum weren't very helpful, the staff at the front desk having no knowledge.

Charles

Update

I have not received any response to my query through military channels. I will send another e-mail, but I am not sure it will get results.

I contacted a bookstore in Ankara with whom I do business. The proprietor will go to the historical office today and see if he can buy the books. I have asked for 11 copies. If he can purchase the copies, you can either deal directly with him (he is on the internet and takes credit cards), or I can buy them all and we can work payment out. He has been able to get books for me from this office before, so there is hope.

More once I know the result.

Jeff

The news

The bookstore in Ankara was able to get the books. I will have 11 copies of the book coming to me. The book will cost $30 plus postage to your address. With the number of books involved, the proprietor didn't wish to wait for indivdual orders. I should have the books in about two weeks time.

If you wish a copy, please PM me. I will give you my regular e-mail address so we can communicate. I need to put together a list. I don't wish any payment until I have the books. We can discuss payment once you have reseerved a book. I will post a scan once I have the book.

Thanks!

Jeff

Geoff

Yes, I received it!

All

Please include your mailing address (and e-mail if you wish to communicate direct) when you PM me. This way I can get the mailing labels prepared. I will get a postage cost to the UK (where I assume most of the individuals responding reside) both air and sea.

Jeff

Okay, the bad news.

The proprietor had purchased two copies yesterday (not knowing how many I would ask for). He returned today and discovered they only had one more copy. The book is basically out of print. I have paid for the three books and asked them to be shipped.

My military contact in Ankara answered yesterday. I will have him ask whether the book will be reprinted. I had been promised a copy or two through other channels, but I won't know whether I will get them until July (I am worried that these copies had not been set aside and no books are left).

Not much else I can do. The store owner was apologetic as the officer at ATASE never mentioned that the supply of the books was almost gone. I am trying to figure out a fair way of deciding who should get a copy.

Sorry :(

Jeff

Jeff,

Do you have any idea of the number of pages involved? I was wondering about the feasiblity of scanning / photocopying / OCR.

Kate

I am assuming that the book is a translation of the summary volume. That book is 380 pages. I have found that Turkish tends to translate at the same length as English. There are six pages of photos which will not copy well (the photos found in the Turkish officials tend to be poor photocopies). Five of the OB charts and one data chart are multi-fold pages.

The books are paperbacks with glue binding. They don't take hard handling well. Several of my older volumes (70-80s) have loose pages. Decent photocopying (pages flat) will be hard without damaging the book. When I work with them, I never open the book flat.

If making copies is an option, I would recommend disassemblying a book for the best results (especially for OCR). The large fold-outs are 35cm x 24cm. The pages themselves are 24cm x 16.5cm (this latter is the standard size of the Turkish officials. Even my volumes from the 60s are this size). As I am not familar with standard European paper sizes (I do know they are different from US), I don't know how these sizes match.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Jeff,

I've just PM'd you, but hadn't at that time read the bit about there being no more copies.

I only got to the bit about there being 11 copies, and fired off the message immediately.

Oh well. If any more are printed, and you hear about it, I'll still be interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys;

I was just steered here by a friend. I had posted a question about the three-volume set on a WW I sub-forum of the Axis History Forum.

I had heard about the three volume set, but without details. Can I pose a few questions on this topic?

The three volume set is an English language history of the Dardanelles campaign? Or of the entire war?

The one volume book is a condensation of the three volume set?

I can certainly agree that the book is likely to self-destruct. I borrowed a new copy of the Lone Pine Diary in English that came out recently, in paper covers (Turkish manufacture) and the glued binding quickly self-destructed, despite careful handling.

I will ask my wife, an international book purchasing librarian for a major research library, to look into this, and 1) see where this book can be found in the US (I don't know if she can do this for abroad, and she just did lose this ability for German language books), and 2) what she can shake out of the tree re: purchasing, although it sounds like you guys have this well covered.

Got to run, but I was in the Military Library at the Askeri Muze in Istanbul recently, and caged an interview with the Turkish colonel CO of the library.

Bob Lembke

Guys;

The last was my first post, so I didn't want to go on at length and have the damn thing vanish into the Black Hole.

I got to see the colonel by mentioning to the guides (army EM, although they are in blazers, not uniforms) that my father fought with the Turks at Gallipoli. He was a volunteer Pionier serving in the German volunteer Pionier=Kompagnie that served there. He seems to have served at the ANZAC bridgehead. Unfortunately I only have a bit of his oral history about it, but a letter of his father's proves to me that he was there.

I have read what I could find in English, German, and French. Rather thin. Turkish is murder; my super-wife, who reads 11 languages well, recently started in on Turkish, but veered off to Arabic.

By the "German official history" I assume that you mean volume 16 (both editions) of the Schlachten des Weltkrieges series. Read it several years ago, I have it in both editions. Don't remember it too well, have notes, or could peek in it again. That series of books is rather variable in quality.

A lot of you guys seem to really be up to speed in this difficult area. I might suggest a bit of a swap, if one of you are up to speed here (in most English-language books on the Dardenelles the defenders could have been Martians) but don't read German; I could ask a few questions and be willing to poke thru the German to look for particular points in trade.

Does anyone offhand know which volume of the other principal "official history" series, Weltkrieg 1914-1918?

Bob Lembke

Guys;

Turned the ISBN # over to my wife, the self-described "librarian-of-fortune", who ran a search across the US, and did not get a hit. She said if I can get the title and/or the author's name (probably none) she could try again. She said that it does not necessarily mean anything, but to me it suggests that there probably are not many copies lying about in US libraries.

Bob Lembke

Bob

I hope I understood your questions, so here goes:

The three-volume history we are discussing are the ones published by the Genelkurmay in Ankara. The volumes are:

Birinci Dünya Harbinde Türk Harbi Çanakkale Cephesi (Haziran 1914-25 Nisan 1915) Vncu Cilt 1nci Kitap. Ankara: Genelkurmay Basimevi 1993 (The Dardanelle Front June 1914 to April 1915 Volume 5, 1st Book)

Birinci Dünya Harbi'nde Turk harbi Çanakkale Cephesi, Amfibi Harekât Vncu Cilt 2nci Kitap. Ankara 1978 (The Dardanelle Front the amphibious operations Volume 5, 2nd Book)

Birinci Dünya Harbi'nde Turk harbi Çanakkale Cephesi Harekâti (Harziran 1915 – Ocak 1916) Vncu Cilt 3ncü Kitap. Ankara 1980 (The Dardanelle Front Operations June 1915-January 1916 Volume 5, 3rd Book)

A bit later, the Genelkurmay issue a summary volume of the campaign. Most of the material was taken from the three-volume set.

Birinci Dünya Harbinde Türk Harbi Vncu Cilt Çanakkale Cephesi Harekati 1nci, 2nci, ve 2ncu Kitaplarin Ozetlenmis Tarihi (Haziran 1914-9 Ocak 1916) Ankara: 1996 (The Dardanelle Front Operations a historical summary of all three books June 1914 to January 1916).

Recently a forum member discovered that the Genelkurmay had published a one-volume history of the campaign in English. We currently believe it is a translation of the summary volume above with some additional material.

A Brief History of the Canakkale-Campaign in The First World War (June 1914 - January 1916) Ankara 2004.

Like all Genelkurmnay publications, this volume is difficult to obtain. Newly published, it hasn’t (IMO) hit the used books stores. Print runs are usually small, and the books aren’t well made. My copy of Lone Pine is much better than the ATASE books, but I think I have a copy from the first print run. If your wife can find copies of this volume, many here will love her (symbolically of course).

The Schlachten des Weltkrieges series really isn’t considered the official history (I believe it was privately published, but will check my copies at home). The Dardanelles volume is rather slim (as all of that series) and provides a marginally useful summary of the campaign. There are (IIRC) 36 titles, of which four have two books each (making a total of 40 books).

Der Weltkrieg 1914-1918 is also marginal in its coverage of this campaign. German participation was very limited, only a few artillery units and the members of the German Military Mission. Since it wasn’t a ‘German Campaign’ (Sanders was the Ottoman 5th Army Commander), it is addressed only in passing. I will check my set tonight as well, but it should be somewhere in volumes 7-10. While I haven’t heard of a volunteer German unit at Canakkale, I will check the Turkish official to see if they make mention of it (you have peaked my curiosity).

I will certainly avail myself of your services. My German is rough, and the script adds another layer of difficulty. Letzter Kreig (the A-H history) is much easier on my brain.

I hope these answers help.

Jeff

Bob

I missed one of your questions. The three volumes only cover the Canakkale Campaign. The complete Turkish official WWI history is 20 volumes, of which two are summary volumes. I posted a complete list in the 'Other' forum in the topic folder 'Official Histories'.

Jeff

Jeff;

Many thanks for your well-organized and comprehensive layout of the series. I will print it off and ask my wife to run these thru her data systems, which generally are not available to ordinary mortals (like us). Then we will have an idea as to where these can be found in the US. I don't know if she has a system that covers the UK. A recent up-grade of her master computer system has cut her off from her German database, which in one "file" covers Germany, Switzerland, and half of Austria.

The "Schlachten" series was produced by the Reichsarchiv, but were generally produced by individual authors, with a resultant wide range of style and perhaps quality. For example, the Antwerpen volume is, in my opinion, really excellent, writen by the Chief of Staff (or "Ia") of the besieging III. Reserve Armeekorps, absolutely the best person on earth to write it (also was the guy on the Generalkommando that my grand-father, the "Id", reported to.), while, for example, some of the Verdun volumes are more poetic than a work of history. I have, with duplicates, about 60 of them; I still lack an example of one volume.

The "Weltkrieg" series is at a different scale of detail, sort of like history written by a committee, which probably is what it is. I only have a few, will buy a few more, and can keep those that my wife's library has at home at some length (The lovely 13 month "faculty" loan period.)

For most of my purposes, the "Schlachten" series often has the detailed tactical descriptions that are useful for my writing, the "old shoot-em-up".

Turkish is really something, isn't it? I have four languages down usefully, and useful bits and pieces of about half a dozen more, and I have not seen anything like it. My wife, with the ability to read 11 languages well, and some dozens badly (but she does it all day long, for 20 years) tried to start it, and peeled off to Arabic in disgust. Probably the most difficult major language in the world, certainly as a spoken language.

I should have some info on these books by tomorrow evening.

Bob Lembke

PS: If I am too chatty give me a hint.

Bob

Don't worry, chatty is good.

Yes, Turkish is a challenge. I don't try to speak or write; I only try to read. Simplier that way. :) Even so, I am not very good at it. Don't use it enough to retain what I have learned. Always go through the same learning curve when there is a need to find something in the books.

RE Der W. The Dardanelles Campaign is discussed in Volume 9 (173-193).

RE: German engineers. Interesting enough, a German engineer company is shown on the 5th Army OB in August 1915. It was assigned to the Güney Grubu (Southern Group) at group level. No other designation or information is provided. I did a quick scan of the text to see if it is mentioned, but no luck. It appears that it might not have arrived until after the battles in early August.

Have a great evening!

Jeff