Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dardanelles Campaign

domsim

I was up at the National Archives this weekend and had a look at document

AIR 1/2317/223/21/108 (A Short history of Turkish Operations in the Great War, including the Dardanelles Campaign. 1914-1918).

My main reason for looking was the hope that being an AIR file it might contain a summary of Ottoman Air Operations in WW1. Needless to say it didn't!

It does however contain 2 files of a translation of the Turkish Official History of the Dardanelles campaign (ground war) done by a Lt. Col. H.M. Cornwall. No maps that I could see but I thought Pals who study the campaign might be interested to know that such a translation exists in this country.

Cheers

Dominic.

Many thanks for this. I'm off to the NA in a couple of weeks time so I'll dig into this in preparation for recce and later tour to Gallipoloi later this autumn.

Does anybody know of any translations of German or Turkish Official Histories?

Chris

• 2 months later...

Chris,

regarding your query on any translations of the German or Turkish official histories for the Gallipoli Campaign. I have never seen a translation of the German history and I know that a traslation of the Turkish has never been done (worst luck). I do know that the Australian War Memorial approached the Turkish General Staff proposing to have a translation done by noted Turkish historian Kenan Celik but after rather a lot of going backwards and forwards, the General Staff said no, adding that they might produce a translation of their own one day (no date set naturally). Having seen some English language material produced by the Armed Forces, they might do better to let Kenan do it, or else enlist the help of a proof reader.

I understand the AWM still has an interest but that is as far as it goes. Bad luck.

Cheers

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Bill. Kenan accompanied a tour led by Chris Pugsley 20 months ago. I'm hoping he'll accompany us again on our next proposed visit late Oct 05. Kenan's a terrific fellow with huge knowledge. He and Chris Pugsley, together - awesome!

Chris

:D

Many thanks for this.  I'm off to the NA in a couple of weeks time so I'll dig into this in preparation for recce and later tour to Gallipoloi later this autumn.

Does anybody know of any translations of German or Turkish Official Histories?

Chris

Dear Chris,

As far as I know the Turkish General Staff has JUST published the official history of the Gallipoli Campaign.

A friend of mine has a copy. I will get all details this afternoon and let you know.

Eric

Eric

I keep my fingers crossed (as, doubtless, will many others on this Forum) that there is a translation available. Very grateful, therefore, if you keep me/us posted on this.

Chris

Dear All,

There is indeed an English version of the official history.

To lay hands on a copy is another story.

My friend is a tourguide here in Eceabat and got a copy (FOC !!) via an official channel.

We have now send a "request" asking where we (and you for that matter) can buy a copy ... don't expect an answer yesterday but I sure will keep you posted ...

Maybe Bill (Hello Bill) will find out through other channels in the meantime.

eric

Eric

I hope to be at TJ's later this year. It would be great to get hold of a copy before then. We'll see.

I note your web site is under construction. Please PM me when it is up and running.

Cheers

Chris

I'm sure there will be a queue of potential buyers - how aboput a bulk purchase Chris!

Thanks to all for alerting us to this.

Martin

I'm sure there will be a queue of potential buyers - how about a bulk purchase, Chris?

Ich dien

Chris

Hi all,

my wife is up in Istanbul at the moment and will be going to the military musuem Wednesday (the museum is closed Tuesdays) to try and get her hands on copies of the new history.

I will let everyone know the price of the tome when I find out. Usually, General Staff publications are not too expensive. Serpil (my wife) is also going to ask about whether the book can be ordered and what has to be done so everyone can get their hands on a copy.

Cheers

Bill

Bill and Serpil

Serpil (my wife) is also going to ask about whether the book can be ordered and what has to be done so everyone can get their hands on a copy.

Cheers for this. Here's hoping for a positive outcome.

Chris

:D

Hi all,

right, here is the story so far with the English language version of the Turkish history of the campaign. My wife contacted both the General Staff's publication office and the Army Museum in Istanbul. Both said they had never heard of the book.

I then checked with the guide that Eric mentioned who said that such a book exists. Being a truthful soul and a gentleman, he was naturally correct. The book is an abridged version of the three volume Turkish history, brough out recently.

Guven the guide obtained his by writing direct to the General Staff. He is now trying (as is Serpil) to find out how we can get multiple copies of the book (a touch difficult if the publishers deny it exists).

The quality of the English isn't too bad, though it could do with some proof reading from what I saw.

I'll update when I have more news.

Cheers

Bill

Bill

Guven the guide obtained his by writing direct to the General Staff. He is now trying (as is Serpil) to find out how we can get multiple copies of the book (a touch difficult if the publishers deny it exists).

The quality of the English isn't too bad, though it could do with some proof reading from what I saw.

More and more intriguing. Does any Pal know (or has a mate who knows) a member of the UK Defence Attache's staff in Ankara - they might be able to access such a book through their Defence Ministries contacts.

As to proof reading, any quality will do as long as something becomes available.

It's getting exciting. I wonder whether I might have a copy in time for my autumn trip? here's hoping!

Chris

Bill,

I'd of course be interested in a copy as well, if it ever makes it off the 'phantom' list. Say hi to Serpil for me!

Possessing an incomplete set of the Birinci Dünya Harbi’inde Türk Harbi series, I have followed this discussion with interest. I was able to speak with the Turkish liaison officer here at Fort Leavenworth on this translation. He is fairly certain that no English translation has been issued by the Genelkurmay.

In discussion with him, he feels it is possible that an outside organization (possibly a university) might be offering such a translation. However, they would need permission from the Genelkurmay. Again, he has not heard of any such request. He feels it is more likely that this is a separate history of the campaign done by a private source.

If such a translation exists, my guess it is of Birinci Dünya Harbi’inde Türk Harbi V. Cilt Cannakkale Cephesi Harekâti Özetlenmis Tarhi. This is the condensed, one volume treatment of the three part series from the official history.

If possible, can Bill (aka Eceabat) supply any details on title, publisher, date, or anything else that might help identify this book. I am certainly interested in a copy if available (my Turkish isn’t great). There was a translation done by Cmdt Larcher of the French Army of some Turkish General Staff histories written in the 1920s. One on the Cannakkale Campaign was translated into English by a General Staff student here at Leavenworth in the 30s.

Please include me in any findings!

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

As Bill & Serpil found it is extremely difficult to try and find a copy - places such as the army museum in Istanbul deny all knowledge and a round of numerous booksellers (new and 2nd hand) in Istanbul met with the honest admission that it is generally very difficult to obtain Turkish General Staff publications.

I have, however, seen a copy of the volume in question so can confirm that it does exist and is dated 2004 and is published by the Turkish General Staff. I believe there is a photocopy of parts of it in the UK as I write. Shame it's not available on CD at present!

Martin

Martin,

Would it be usefull if I scan it ...

eric

PS : You're right it has been publised officially as there is even an official number : YAYIN NUMERASI 2004/125

Martin, Eric, Thanks for the information. I will ask about this book through official channels. I will also discuss this book with the CARL staff here at the college. I hope to have some answers by the end of the week.

Jeff