Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Westhoek trip Pops & Wipers

Marilyne

Good afternoon all,

The Yzer march is cancelled… does not mean I'm not draggin my *** over there for some freelance Walking.

I've been perusing some places to visit and some nice outdoursy stuff (without mask) to do and can already give you the names of some cemeteries around the South of Poperinge that we'll visit. so if you have any special picture requests, feel free to ssend me whatever you need.

• Poperinge Communal, Old and New
  • Westouter British Cemetery
  • Grotebeek Military Cemetery
  • Reningelst New Cemetery.

proposals for around Ypres : later!!!

Marilyne

Ypres will probably be around the old haunts… educating Boyfriend on the essentials:

• White House Cemetery
  • Potijze Chateau Burial grounds/wood/grounds
  • Buttes cemetery (polygon wood)
  • Sanctuary wood
  • Zillebeke Churchyard

M.

Maureen,

I wonder if you could possibly take a slight deviation from Reninghelst Cemetery to Reninghelst Churchyard Extension for a picture of the headstone of the Reverend Michael Bergin, M.C. grave No.1.

Martin

19 hours ago, tootrock said:

Maureen,

I wonder if you could possibly take a slight deviation from Reninghelst Cemetery to Reninghelst Churchyard Extension for a picture of the headstone of the Reverend Michael Bergin, M.C. grave No.1.

Martin

I don't know who Maureen is, but I certainly can !!

Marilyne

no worries!!!  ;)

Hello again Marilyne!

If you have the time, I wonder if you could nip across the road from Buttes Cemetery and say hello to one of our Flowers of the Forest John Jackson Low in Polygon Wood Cemetery.

Here are some photos from our visit in 2015. The cemetery is quite small and pretty unique, with the graves left as they were when the lads were buried by their chums, not in neat rows. British, many Kiwi's, one German and an alias.

i also remember a donkey looking over the hedge from the adjoining farm. Maybe bear could say hello if he/she is still there!

Enjoy your trip.

Dave

Picture1.jpg

CGkoGtxXEAAtdi5[1].jpg

P1010652.JPG

On 31/07/2020 at 07:31, DoubleD said:

also remember a donkey looking over the hedge from the adjoining farm. Maybe bear could say hello if he/she is still there!

Don't know about donkeys, but I remember the last time I was there the cemetery being scrutinized by a cat, perched on the wall. I must look if I have a picture.. 

Name noted, no prob! 

M.

Edited by Marilyne

the cat ... was there in 2014 on the 100km of Ypres march and was not at all impressed by our visit, and even less by the attempts of contact by my French colleague! 

437680825_100kmYpres14399.JPG.ba71b41cacb416d356f085ad6ffbd25a.JPG

811135739_100kmYpres14397.JPG.7dfa430d1253fa8ea09a05414561e98c.JPG

The Belgian had more success...

715489406_100kmYpres14387.JPG.aae2331dc6444d00782609c62be6a742.JPG

M.

MM

If you are in White House can you transport the rocket launcher to I.D.28 and photograph the grave of Sir Richard Levinge? He was killed in the defence of Zandvoorde on 24th October 1914. He was originally buried behind a farm which was in one of the photographs I took when we were last there and I'd quite like to see his last resting place. His original grave would have been behind German lines for almost the whole of the war. No worries if you can't make it.

Pete.

P.S. Top cat pictures by the way.

Great photos and yes, the cat is definitely not impressed! Not just bears who accompany you either. Not sure what the mascots on their backpacks are? One has a tail and the other has very bright colouring. 

we all have our Marching Animals on the backpack on the walks.

Part of the team spirit.

Daniel's is a marmot. Thierry has a MARSUPILAMI, a legend, an icon of Belgian Bande dessinée, (graphic novels). He lives in the jungle of Palombia, is very playful, can swim and run for hours, and his tail is very useful…

marsu.png.0108a416028abad842640227fda24b09.png

On 31/07/2020 at 06:31, DoubleD said:

i also remember a donkey looking over the hedge from the adjoining farm. Maybe bear could say hello if he/she is still there!

He/she or another was there in August 2017, and liking the attention!

Donkey.jpg.b9860a91b1d6445aa4abf2aab669d2a3.jpg

NigelS

The Donkey was still there in 2019 March time. Came up for a nose rub!!

Sharon :wub:

No worries, we will look for and cuddle Donkey if we see him/her…

M.

• 3 weeks later...

The mystery of the Donkey has been solved: HIS name is Tommeke.... so trust me: it's a boy!!!!

On 05/08/2020 at 08:52, Marilyne said:

we all have our Marching Animals on the backpack on the walks.

Part of the team spirit.

Daniel's is a marmot. Thierry has a MARSUPILAMI, a legend, an icon of Belgian Bande dessinée, (graphic novels). He lives in the jungle of Palombia, is very playful, can swim and run for hours, and his tail is very useful…

marsu.png.0108a416028abad842640227fda24b09.png

Hey! A Marsupilami!!!!

Ah màn, that picture took me right back to when I was a young JWK.

I devoured those "Robbedoes en Kwabbernoot" comics!

The things Marsupilami could do with his tail: wow!

Next goal in life: get a Marsupilami mascot! :D

15 hours ago, Marilyne said:

The mystery of the Donkey has been solved: HIS name is Tommeke.... so trust me: it's a boy!!!!

Interesting, did not know forgotten British generals bear such a forename

15 hours ago, JWK said:

Next goal in life: get a Marsupilami mascot! :D

Just get on the next train to Brussels, I can show you a shop or two where they have them !! 

In all sizes!!! 

M.

On 29/07/2020 at 18:01, tootrock said:

Reninghelst Churchyard Extension for a picture of the headstone of the Reverend Michael Bergin, M.C. grave No.1.

Good evening, 

Here is the picture you asked for... 

D94A0141.JPG.4034edfaaba80171554f9a2ac9960b97.JPG

D94A0144.JPG.fb07ce8deeecd8187ac26db0d5c09848.JPG

I do have one question... Reninghelst was perfectly situated for a break, and as luck would have it, there was a bar just opposite the cemetery. there I googled the good reverend and found out he was KIA in Zonnebeke... that's not very close to Reninghelst. If he fell in Zonnebeke, why was he not buried with the guys he ministered and cared for during Third Ypres ??? 

If you want the pics in original format, just PM me an email address and I'll wetransfer them to you! 

M. 

On 31/07/2020 at 07:31, DoubleD said:

John Jackson Low in Polygon Wood Cemetery.

On 04/08/2020 at 22:33, Fattyowls said:

Sir Richard Levinge?

and here's the others... guest of honour included... 

D94A0184.JPG.f4eeaa440822f9612d9dc3a78dbfb40d.JPG

D94A0240.JPG.a8079a7a2b10bb46c8f7d62d54cbf836.JPG

D94A0253.JPG.1d09f450b67d88b599f6e58470cb577d.JPG

wetransfer incoming for the whole respective sets. 

M.

Marilyne,

Many thanks for the photos - that format will be fine.

According to information that I have, Michael Bergin was wounded in action and admitted to 3rd Australian Field Ambulance, 12 October 1917 (shrapnel wound to shoulder). He died the same day. According to their War Diary, 3rd Australian Field Ambulance was based in Wippenhoek in October 1917, not so far from Reninghelst, so maybe the nearest cemetery.

Martin

Hi Marilyne & Good evening from the Kingdom of Fife, in a pretty dreary Scotland.

Thank you so much, the photo is wonderful! You certainly have an eye for perspective; love the cross of sacrifice in the background. Glad the donkey came to say hello as well!

Although I'm very jealous I do hope you're enjoying your trip.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Marilyne, that's excellent. Sir Richard's original burial place was behind a farm in Zandvoorde, thanks to @helpjpl's vivid descriptions I know a bit about him about him, he was a real character. His original burial place was here - you may recognise the view from when we were last on the road down from Gheluvelt. White House cemetery seems a long way away to take him for reburial; I've often wondered about the story. Considering how early in the war he was killed and how heavily fought over the area was subsequently it was fortunate that they found him.

Pete.

1237826043_ZandvoordeCloseupforJP.JPG.a1214b336e9188e66fe931973295729f.JPG