Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Craiglockhart War Hospital medical staff

RogerWill

That's in interesting source Alf McM, not one I've seen before. And yes the first hit might be the man, though I see several others there too. They mention having some more information on some men so I shall drop them a line. Looking in the Medical Directory, there is a John MacIntyre, MB Glasgow 1905 who was a Captain RAMC (Lt on 10.2.1915 and Capt 10.2.1916). Possibly the same man won an MC (Supp  LG, 14.11.1916, p. 11059), but a subsequent gazette corrects his name and rank to 'Temp Lt John McIntyre'. This man is listed at Glasgow University here: https://universitystory.gla.ac.uk/ww1-biography/?id=430 and the gazette (Supp LG, 3.11.1919, p. 13411) notes him relinquishing his commission 26.3.1919 using the original spelling.

There is also a Temp Capt Alexander Macintyre, MB, RAMC (promoted Capt 24.9.1916) and a Temp Capt Donald McIntyre, MBE, MB Glasgow 1914 (RAMC SR). He served in the Dardanelles and East Africa, so perhaps not the Craiglockhart man. I have discounted Hugh Ross MacIntyre, MD Edinburgh 1908 as he was a Major. The one Lieutenant I can find is Alastair MacIntyre, MB Glasgow, and he might well be the chap.

Charlie962, I think the report you are referring to is that by Thomas W Salmon The Care and Treatment of Mental Diseases and War Neuroses (Shell Shock) in the British Army (1917). I have a copy and there is a brief mention of Craiglockhart. Nothing on the staff however. Are there any US Army Lists that would identify our Captain Hall or are US WWI service papers available?

Cheers

Roger

Edited by RogerWill

2 minutes ago, RogerWill said:

are US WWI service papers available?

Probably lurking in Fold3 to which I don't have a sub.

Ruggles was a Major, MORC when he left US for Liverpool Augut 1917.

4 minutes ago, RogerWill said:

I think the report you are referring to is that by Thomas W Salmon

Yes, looks like it. Available on archive.org

Charlie

Roger,

I have a record of an American doctor serving at Bangour War Hospital. He was Custis Lee HALL. Unfortunately, for you, he was an orthopaedic surgeon and never worked at Craiglockhart. I mention only so you can eliminate him from your search.

Regards,

Alf McM

On the same boat from USA (the Lapland) as Major Ruggles MORC ( Medical Officers Reserve Corps) in Aug 1917 was a Lieutenant Millard W Hall MORC. By the time Hall returned to US in early 1919 he was a Captain in the Medical Corps.

b 1890 Iowa  in 1925 he was an obstretician ??

His Draft Registration Courtesy Ancestry

1903454833_CraiglockhartHallMWUSDraftRegistration.JPG.0570ba565cf15f7e23e991fc090cb963.JPG

Thanks guys for highlighting these sources. I had coincidently found the McInnes file myself earlier and its really excellent stuff. Some other names are slowly creeping out of the woodwork: I now also have a Miss Mellor, a VAD who was working there in May 1918; a Nurse Riddell and a Sister Woolgar, this trio emerging from a British Newspaper Archive search.

Charlie, your Dr Millard W Hall coming over on the same boat as Ruggles sounds very promising. I see there are some photos and other references on Ancestry too. A bit more digging here for me.   

Roger,

Have you looked at the Glasgow and Edinburgh University Rolls of Honour? They might mention Craiglockhart service if you are trying to distinguish one name from another. I think both are online, possibly on archive.org.

sJ

The University of Edinburgh roll is on the NLS site (see here: https://digital.nls.uk/rolls-of-honour/archive/100847907 ), while Glasgow has an online roll (see here: https://universitystory.gla.ac.uk/ww1-search/ ). I cannot find a pdf etc of a Glasgow University roll of honour for WWI on archive.org or elsewhere using google anyway. Anyone got one sitting on their bookshelves?

There were a couple of well known inspections of Craiglockhart by unnamed senior staff from Scottish Command, one in late 1917 and another in the first half of 1918 that produced managerial / staff changes (Bryce being replaced by Robert Balfour Graham and the latter then being replaced by William Brown). I can't see mention of them in the TNA online catalogue - has anyone any knowledge of these?

Thanks

Roger

Roger, the RedCross VAD site brings up 4 names for location Craiglockhart, incl Nurse Riddell. But one seems to be an address in the town.

Edited by charlie962

Hi Charlie962. Yes, I picked up these names. Its interesting that database is not throwing up more names as most of the nurses were VADs.

The British Red Cross record cards were instigated after the war, to ask members to record what they had done. T he B.R.C. simply didn’t have records of what their members did. The cards appear to have been issued to all members in England, Wales and Ireland. They also appear to have been sent to many, or perhaps most, members who had served abroad. The Scottish Branch of the B.R.C. either didn’t send out record cards, or the cards haven’t survived. Most cards referring to Scottish members appear to be for those who had served in England, Wales, Ireland or abroad, or who had addresses abroad when the cards were issued. I think, from memory, that this was about April 1919, but am prepared to be corrected on this. From this it would appear, as expected, that most VAD’s at Craiglockhart were Scottish.

Regards,

Alf McM

Interesting Alf. The added conclusion would be that few went overseas or elsewhere in the UK. Is it known what percentage of VAD's have a card and how many thus done?

Roger,

Many Scottish women served overseas and in England, and many of these have B.R.C. record cards. The British Red Cross had about 90,000 volunteers {male and female} during the war. Some of them have more than one record card, but I'm not certain about the total number of record cards.

The 3 women mentioned in the link in#35 all served abroad or in England, and this is why they have cards.

A couple of examples from Bangour War Hospital may be of interest.

Annie Nelson Drummond was a member of Linlithgowshire V.A.D. No. 2 {Armadale}.  She served at Edinburgh War Hospital, Bangour for more than 3 years, until at least April 1919. She is well known for her relationship with the poet, Ivor Gurney, who was a patient at Bangour. She apparently once met Siegfried Sassoon when he visited Gurney at Bangour. Annie never served outside Scotland, or even away from Bangour, and does not have a British Red Cross record card.

Mary Freer Keay was the wife of John Keay, Medical Superintendent of Bangour Asylum, and Lieutenant Colonel in charge of Bangour War Hospital. She worked as a ‘Searcher’, which involved questioning patients to find out who their next of kin were, and then writing to them. Many of the patients were English, Irish, Welsh and Manxmen, along with men from the Colonies and Dominions. Because of this she was in contact with the B.R.C. headquarters in London. Mary does have a B.R.C. record card {as ‘Mrs. Keay’}, but it is very basic.

Regards,

Alf McM

I earlier mistakenly referred to MacIntyre  as a 'Captain'. In fact, both records of him, from 1917, described him as a 'Lieutenant'. He is thus noted as ‘Lieut Macintyre’ in The Hydra (21 July 1917, p. 9) and as a Glaswegian ‘Lieut MacIntyre’ in the IWM notes on Craiglockhart staff, without either source citing his first name. I have now found an obituary (BMJ, 25.2.1939) which  confirms the Craiglockhart man was Dr Alex Gray McIntyre, MD (Ed, 1898), Captain 25.5.1918. I cannot however see him in the LG to see when he  was first commissioned, the gazette for his promotion to  Captain and when he relinquished his commission. Can anybody confirm his commission dates please and anything else on his war service?

Edited by RogerWill

Thanks seaJane, its adds to the bios. I've also now found McIntyre's LG entries, with a lot of playing around with syntax on the LG site.

I see the November 1918 Army List (which I have in hardback) notes some medical staff at various War Hospitals (but not Craiglockhart for some reason). Are there earlier listings for CWH in the Army Lists? The final thing I'm still looking for is when Brock arrived and left CWH if anybody has any leads...

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Roger

Thanks for the link Charlie. Brock also appears in the photo I  posted earlier in this thread, the second man from the right, wearing a  Captain's rank badges.

In December 1916 the Matron of Craiglockhart, Margaret MacBean, was initially declined membership of the QAIMNSR, the Matron-in-Chief telling her that this was because "the staff in your hospital is not appointed by the War Office". Given the doctors held temporary commissions in the RAMC, I assume this relates to the nursing and other ancillary staff. The obvious question is who did employ the staff there? Where did the funding come from? Can anybody help?

Thanks

Roger

• 4 months later...
On 27/07/2020 at 02:14, RogerWill said:

Looking at the attached photo of Craiglockhart staff from late in 1917 (I think), the two central officers appear to be Bryce and Brock, though who the outer two are I don't know. They look like normal lieutenant's uniforms to my eye, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has a different view.

I think the nurse with the QAIMNSR badge on is the Matron, Miss M MacBean, and the other nurse in the cape with the medal ribbon (any ideas?) may be Sister Katharine Grant, the Assistant Matron. I notice she has white cuffs and an apron by contrast with the Matron. Can anybody comment on these two women and also clarify the uniforms of the other nurses?  

Thanks.

Roger

Craiglockhart staff.jpg

Again with regard to this photograph, the officer seated on the right in what seems to be RAMC Lieutenant's uniform, is there any relevance to his shirt, collar and tie being different from the other three RAMC officers? I am wondering whether he might be one of the USA officers who were briefly attached to Craiglockhart in late 1917...