Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Craiglockhart War Hospital medical staff

RogerWill

I am trying to establish which medical doctors were on the staff at Craiglockhart War Hospital from its opening in 1916 through to 1919. I have the names of the three well-known doctors there:

1. William H R Rivers was appointed a Temporary Captain while employed there with effect from 26 October 1916 (Suppl to the London Gazette, 26 September 1917, p. 1999); Rivers ceased at Craiglockhart with effect from 8 December 1917 (Suppl to the London Gazette, 1 January 1918, p. 98)
  2. Arthur John Brock; commissioned as a Temporary Lieutenant 9 October 1915 (LG, 5 November 1915, p. 10916), promoted Temp Captain 9 October 1916 (Supplement to the LG, 20 November 1916, p. 11237), and relinquished his commission on 13 September 1919 (Supplement to the LG, 15 October 1919, p. 12738). I am not sure when he was posted to Craiglockhart and when he left at the moment. He was there during Rivers time.
  3. William Henderson Bryce, was MO in Charge with the rank of Temporary Major with effect from 2 October 1916 while employed at Craiglockhart (Suppl to the London Gazette, 26 September 1917, p. 1999) and then reverted to Temporary Captain with effect from 20 January 1918 on leaving the hospital (Suppl to the London Gazette, 29 January 1918, p. 1413)

If anyone can help identify any of the other medical staff there that would be very helpful. Thanks.

Roger

Might be worth contacting the holders of this to see if they have details:

http://ww1lit.nsms.ox.ac.uk/ww1lit/db/object/ww1/4237

Probably also worth contacting the Edinburgh Napier University which is on Craiglockhart's site and holds at least some archives:   https://blogs.napier.ac.uk/world-war-one/category/craiglockhart/. I'd be very surprised if they don't know where staffing records are, even if they're not there.

Thanks SeaJane and Alf for both these leads. I will follow up with Oxford and Napier as suggested. If anybody has anything else, especially on the more junior medical officers there I would love to hear. Or other patient accounts...

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

This recent thesis at Edinburgh mentions several names. Wasn't it you, sJ, who first linked this ?

charlie

It looks very much the sort of thing that I would link, but I can't recall doing so!

Thanks for the PhD link. I'M going through this at the moment.

With regard to Arthur John Brock noted in my first post, has anyone info on how to establish his postings? Specifically when he joined the Craiglockhart staff and left there? The service records of Temporary commissioned officers in the RAMC have not generally survived, which does not help.

Edited by RogerWill

Roger,

The scanned copy of the 'Hydra' from December 1917 has a photograph on page 27 showing, amongst others, Rev. C. RICHARDSON, Captain McKENZIE, Captain EVANS, and Captain GRIFFITHS. All others in the group are titled 'Mr'. I would assume that all those with rank are members of the medical staff, and the Mr's are patients.  http://ww1lit.nsms.ox.ac.uk/ww1lit/collections/document/5627/5334

Regards,

Alf McM

22 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

I would assume that all those with rank are members of the medical staff, and the Mr's are patients.  

I think its more likely that the 'Mr's are surgeons with temporary commissions in the RAMC. 

Headgardener,

I have to disagree with you.

I can find only one reference to a Doctor with the surname Toovey. Thomas Edward Frazer Toovey was a gynaecologist, and I can see no military reference for him. The Mr Toovey in the photograph is not wearing R.A.M.C. collar badges. A comment on the page previous to that with the photograph confirms Mr Toovey is Lieutenant C.E. Toovey, Royal Engineers, who had been elected Secretary of the Camera Club.

Mr Angel could be Captain Harry Angel, R.A.M.C., but he was a physician, and was not referred to by his military rank.

Regards,

Alf McM

5 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

Headgardener,

I have to disagree with you.

I can find only one reference to a Doctor with the surname Toovey. Thomas Edward Frazer Toovey was a gynaecologist, and I can see no military reference for him. The Mr Toovey in the photograph is not wearing R.A.M.C. collar badges. A comment on the page previous to that with the photograph confirms Mr Toovey is Lieutenant C.E. Toovey, Royal Engineers, who had been elected Secretary of the Camera Club.

Mr Angel could be Captain Harry Angel, R.A.M.C., but he was a physician, and was not referred to by his military rank.

Yes, looking more closely I see that Lee and Angel are both referred to as Mr and are both wearing armbands which would suggest that they are convalescent, so you are probably right. I've never heard of a serving officer other than a 2/Lt being referred to as Mr before. 

Headgardener,

Your comment about serving 2nd Lieutenants being referred as Mr had me wondering if all those in the photo were patients, with rank only being mentioned for those who were Captains. However, on page 19 under the heading of Craiglockhart War Hospital Officer's Club is the following;-

Chairman - Capt. EVANS

Hon. Treasurer - Mr F. GLYNN GILLING

Hon. Secretary - Mr A.H. ANGEL

Mr F. GLYNN GILLING is Captain Frederick GLYNN GILLING, Liverpool Regiment.

Mr A.H. ANGEL is Lieutenant Albert Heale ANGEL, Royal Field Artillery.

I am now certain that, in a hospital for officers, only the staff are identified by their army ranks, and patients as Mr.

I am not sure, though, if Reverend C. RICHARDSON, C.F. is staff or a patient.

Regards,

Alf McM

3 hours ago, alf mcm said:

I am now certain that, in a hospital for officers, only the staff are identified by their army ranks, and patients as Mr.

Yes, I'm sure you're right. It would make sense to negate the rank structure with regards to the patients so they were all more-or-less equal, especially when they were being treated by Dr's and auxiliary staff who also held rank in the army. The armbands on some of the men in the photo definitely suggest that they were convalescent.

The admission and discharge registers for Craiglockhart WH are online on FindMyPast. If you've a subscription, see here: https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/results?datasetname=british armed forces%2c first world war soldiers' medical records&sid=999

Looking at the various names, all of these appear to be patients on the books, thus:

Capt FG Gilling, Kings Liverpools, admitted 20.6.17 discharged 6.12.17

Lieut AH Angel, RFA, admitted 12.9.17 discharged 4.12.17

Lieut CE Toovey, RE, admitted 20.6.17 discharged 6.12.17

Capt Jas McKenzie, RDC, admitted 13.6.17 discharged 26.11.17

Capt C Evans, Leicesters, admitted 30.4.17 discharged 1.1.18

Capt EC Griffiths, 16 Queens lancers, admitted 13.6.17 discharged 30.11.17

Rev C Richardson, CF, admitted 30.8.17 discharged 22.1.18

It thus looks like most of the Lieutenants are being referred to as 'Mr' and those senior by their ranks, with some slips here and there.

Looking at the attached photo of Craiglockhart staff from late in 1917 (I think), the two central officers appear to be Bryce and Brock, though who the outer two are I don't know. They look like normal lieutenant's uniforms to my eye, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has a different view.

I think the nurse with the QAIMNSR badge on is the Matron, Miss M MacBean, and the other nurse in the cape with the medal ribbon (any ideas?) may be Sister Katharine Grant, the Assistant Matron. I notice she has white cuffs and an apron by contrast with the Matron. Can anybody comment on these two women and also clarify the uniforms of the other nurses?  

Thanks.

Roger

Craiglockhart staff.jpg

Roger,

With regards to the photograph -

The Matron is Margaret MacBean, Q.A.I.M.N.S.R. Her service record can be downloaded for free at T.N.A., as Margaret McBean  {at present}  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10797883  Many of this record’s 94 pages are taken up with her demands for a court of enquiry into her dismissal in 1918, but they make interesting reading.  The Sister to the left of the photograph is wearing civilian uniform with a Q.A.I.M.N.S.R. cape without badge, signifying previous service in the Q.A.I.M.N.S.R. The medal ribbon on her cape is probably for service in South Africa. I can’t find any Q.A.I.M.N.S.R. records for Katharine Grant, so she is probably the Sister on the right of the picture. The women with red crosses on their aprons are Nursing VAD’s, and there are 3 Trained Nurses in the middle row. The woman behind the Matron is a Masseuse from the Almeric Paget Military Massage Corps.

Regards,

Alf McM

On 25/07/2020 at 16:38, RogerWill said:

Thanks for the PhD link. I've going through this at the moment.

With regard to Arthur John Brock noted in my first post, has anyone info on how to establish his postings? Specifically when he joined the Craiglockhart staff and left there? The service records of Temporary commissioned officers in the RAMC have not generally survived, which does not help.

Roger,

The attached pdf will give you a lot on A.J. Brock. It also mentions an American Medical Officer at Craiglockhart, Major RUGGLES.

Regards,

Alf McM

HYDRA AJ BROCK.pdf

Not exactly relevant to this thread, but interesting nonetheless.

It had been the custom in Edinburgh to fire a gun at Edinburgh Castle at 1 p.m. every day {not sure about Sunday}. This was known locally as the one o’clock gun, and the noise was heard over most of Edinburgh. In 1918 Councillor McArthy raised a motion requesting the gun be stopped, during the war, as the noise was affecting invalid soldiers. The Council agreed on no change, since they hadn’t received any complaints. Colonel {sic.} Balfour Graham of Craiglockhart War Hospital informed the Council that firing of the gun was detrimental to the health of soldiers or officers suffering from shell shock or nerve affections. With the coming good weather there would be invalids walking down Princes Street, and with the gun going off the scenes would be ‘heart rending’. On hearing this, and reports from other local hospitals it was decided to discontinue the firing of the gun. https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0000540%2f19180404%2f122&stringtohighlight=craiglockhart%20war%20hospital

Regards,

Alf McM

1 hour ago, alf mcm said:

Colonel {sic.} Balfour Graham of Craiglockhart War Hospital informed the Council that firing of the gun was detrimental to the health of soldiers or officers suffering from shell shock or nerve affections. With the coming good weather there would be invalids walking down Princes Street, and with the gun going off the scenes would be ‘heart rending’. On hearing this, and reports from other local hospitals it was decided to discontinue the firing of the gun.

Very interesting to read. Thanks for posting this!

Thanks Alf McM for that on Brock and the other link too.

Major Ruggles was Arthur Hiler Ruggles (1881-1961) and seems to have left the hospital in about January 1918 along with a Captain Hall, both of the US Army, for service in France. Its interesting there thus seem to have been two US Army medics attached to Craiglockhart for a period. Has anyone any ideas on how to access Ruggles WWI service record and how to better identify 'Captain Hall'? He was presumably a medical doctor attached to their medical corps...

I've also come across mention of a Lieutenant MacIntyre who was there in 1917 on the staff, apparently from Glasgow. There are several possibles in the Medical Directory, none of whose entries mention Craiglockhart. Can anyone help pins these men down?

Thanks 

Roger

Edited by RogerWill

The 1910 Census for Butler Hospital Rhode Island has Arthur Hiler Ruggles as a Physician. aged 29, born Vermont. He married 1914 (Cert of marriage available on FMP)  He was president American Psychiatric Association 1942-43.

I note on the same hospital census 1910 there is also a 54 yr old Henry C Hall, Physician but he would be too old to be the other US captain ?

Butler Hospital is (and presumably was ) a Psychiatric Hospital, hence the link ?

Charlie

Edit

I have in the back of my mind that there was a US Military study in 1917 of work done by British and French on shellshock, with a view to recommendations for staffing up US facilities. Might it be connected ? I cannot remember report title but I have it somewhere downloaded.

charlie

Edited by charlie962