Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identity of badges collected in Italy, mostly

dbe

The Norfolk badge is either a blazer badge or the badge for the ‘round forage cap’ pattern 1880-1902 that was worn by commissioned officers, and those WOs & SNCOs on the battalion HQ staff.

The crown could be for a staff sergeant (above 3-stripes), or colour sergeant’s rank badge, an officers crown had no felt backing back then.

The RMC badge I’ve seen before, but not had a positive ID.  Your postulation about a Sandhurst instructor seems entirely feasible, as the cadets themselves had a simple and unadorned bullion RMC on their caps.

NB.  uniformology image shown with permission from copyright holder.

1CC9FB50-15F6-4F46-9F7D-5F0D495B8AA3.jpeg

F9843784-A2BE-4307-B00A-16E91A26A655.jpeg

52F6CE19-F5B1-4004-9984-85C23FD9BA70.jpeg

5B7BCF35-7BFD-4429-9DE3-4258D6425F43.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hi Frogsmile,

Thank you for a swift and helpful reply. I forgot to mention in my post that the suggestion that the RMC badge was a  forage cap badge for instructors came from the National Army Museum. It was their suggestion that led me on to the same webpage you display for forage cap badges with the example from the Norfolk Regiment. We seem to be in agreement that this is a possible solution, though your suggestion that it might be a blazer badge also seems possible. I would need to physically compare my badge with other examples to be sure. Not easy when I live in sweden and the Covid19 restrictions make travel difficult.

In comparing the crown devices with my original, I think the staff sergeant version is the one most likely fit, the crown base is rather more decorative than on the other.

Once again many thanks for your help.

David

8 hours ago, dbe said:

Hi Frogsmile,

Thank you for a swift and helpful reply. I forgot to mention in my post that the suggestion that the RMC badge was a  forage cap badge for instructors came from the National Army Museum. It was their suggestion that led me on to the same webpage you display for forage cap badges with the example from the Norfolk Regiment. We seem to be in agreement that this is a possible solution, though your suggestion that it might be a blazer badge also seems possible. I would need to physically compare my badge with other examples to be sure. Not easy when I live in sweden and the Covid19 restrictions make travel difficult.

In comparing the crown devices with my original, I think the staff sergeant version is the one most likely fit, the crown base is rather more decorative than on the other.

Once again many thanks for your help.

David

I was glad to have been able to help David, and agree with you that the crown was most probably a SNCOs badge.  I’m also thrilled regarding your information from the NAM about the providence of your RMC badge, as I was in collaboration with Bruce Bassett-Powell to create the uniformology series of plates and will hope to include your badge as an addendum for the series.  Were the NAM positive about their information?  The Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst used to have a collection of artefacts at the college (including an ‘Indian Room’) and it might be useful to contact them and see what they say.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hi Frogsmile,

Thank you for your reply and I am pleased the RMC badge is of such interest. The RMC badge was confirmed as Royal Military College by a Research Curator who also pointed out that it did not seem to appear in any of the reference works he had referred to, however, a colleague had stated that it was an instructors forage cap badge. It think it would be useful to cross check with Sandhurst. What is the best way of contacting them?

If you would like to continue this discussion directly rather than over the forum we can do so. Let me know what you think.

/David

Edited by dbe
remove sensitive personal information.

1 hour ago, dbe said:

/David

Hi David, 

it would be a good idea to remove your email address from your last post, unless you are a big fan of spam mail. 

You can send Frogsmile a private message by clicking on his username  

Edited by GWF1967

2 hours ago, dbe said:

Hi Frogsmile,

Thank you for your reply and I am pleased the RMC badge is of such interest. The RMC badge was confirmed as Royal Military College by a Research Curator who also pointed out that it did not seem to appear in any of the reference works he had referred to, however, a colleague had stated that it was an instructors forage cap badge. It think it would be useful to cross check with Sandhurst. What is the best way of contacting them?

If you would like to continue this discussion directly rather than over the forum my email address is: dwbell@telia.com. Let me know what you think.

/David

The collection has a web portal with contact details at the bottom here: https://sandhurstcollection.co.uk/

I don't know how good they will be at responding during the current virus emergency, as such organisations rely almost exclusively upon volunteers apart from a head curator.

I don't think that the badge would have been worn by the Colour Sergeant Instructors, who I believe wore their own regimental uniform, just as they do today.  It would however have been worn by the College warrant officers, QMS, and staff sergeants, etc. on the staff of the college headquarters.  These were a relative few, however, and so the badge would statistically be quite rare.  Today the same staff wear the 'academy' cap badge.

Edited by FROGSMILE