Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 & WW11 Medal Research

Ash955

Yes, blank! Perhaps it’s a replacement medal. All the WW2 medals are also blank making research near on impossible. The family’s preference is new ribbons although I will be keeping all originals together in the original memory box where they’ve lived for a very long while. I plan to make a document detailing the story behind each medal plus any additional information that I’ve (you here) have found relating to their own family member.

Enjoying this project very much so far.

Thank you for everyone’s assistance, it’s been wholeheartedly appreciated.

Hi,

13 hours ago, Ash955 said:

Yes it’s definitely the Silver War Badge but it only has “61629” engraved. We don’t have the certificate for this to cross reference though.

The badge number would appear to have belonged to 8291 John William Cutts, Lincolnshire Regiment.

image.png.50f2d794048f29f85aaa698ff4c6de6f.png

Image sourced from Ancestry

His medal roll records indicate a 14 Star entitlement as well as the pair.

image.png.f1e0c76780dbc47375e2e2f76a10005d.png

image.png.36a3408632aa7c6e1d98f00c637187b4.png

His MIC indicates service with some other units as well. 

image.png.e5931e461730b8f49653f5c664b07396.png

Having been discharged from the ASC, he appears to have been awarded a pension:

image.png.554c2d4a57a26f8bcfb993be2051336b.png

Image sourced from Fold3

Going backwards slightly Findmypast have a hospital admission//discharge record (link) which reads as:

First name(s): J

Last name: Cutts

Service number: 8291

Unit: 'B Details' [Base Details?], Lincolnshire Regiment

Admitted to 2nd General Hospital (Le Havre) suffering from 'Debility' on 10.12.1914, having completed 34 years service. Discharged to Hospital Ship Asturias on 11.12.1914.

He has a reasonable set of service papers, which are interesting to read. They include a May 1880 attestation. They should also be available on Ancestry, but the FMP link is here.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

• 3 weeks later...

In answer to your query regarding two WW2 Defence Medals, the qualifying criteria was thus....…"The Defence Medal is awarded for non-operational service such as those service personnel working in headquarters, on training bases and airfields and members of the Home Guard. The medal is also awarded for non-operational service overseas for example in India or South Africa." So unlikely you be linked to the Stars awards and I have never heard of a serviceman being awarded 2 Defence Medals. My wife’s grandfather had two WW2 Stars, 39-45 Star and France & Germany Star, but only 1 Defence Medal for non operational service in U.K. 

• DavidOwen locked this topic