Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

seaforth highlander uniform

mandig

I agree with you that there was nepotism involved. I also think that those boys who were in the 14+ age bracket were those who possibly continued to re-apply for those coveted positions. The chap I was working on had, 10 years after joining as a band boy, reached the rank of Colour Sergeant at which time, his father was leaving, still as a private after 25 years. The son left after the same period as an RSM. He was given that rank back in August 1914 having worked in the Army Records office, Perth in the interim but he still didn’t stand still. By 1917 he was a Captain and Adjutant of the training camp for the Seaforth Hrs at Ripon. He did get to France in 1918 but was dead within weeks from trench fever. His records also indicate he was enlisted as a regular before he was 18 so must have had parental consent and was in fact under 18 at Tel el Kebir.

It might be a long haul but worth some deep ancestral research by the OP to investigate. It could also have come from the female line if a young lady married a serving man of the Seaforth Hrs who became an army wife and a child of theirs could be a boy entrant.

Great photos by the way. I think I have some Seaforth band boys somewhere.

11 hours ago, seaforths said:

time

So very good to hear from you again, dear Marjorie !  I will always bow to your superior knowledge and all around good taste.  Hielan' Laddie it is.   :thumbsup:

Hey bif! Always good to read your posts. I wish I could read the forum more frequently than I do. Research is even more frustrating. I tried to keep it going so picking it up when I got respite breaks but had to set it aside again after two weeks and then trying to remember from my notes how far I’d got a few months later...it wasn’t working too well.

Mandig, I think you will have your work cut out for you on this one. As I suggested in my previous post, it might be a long haul but if you like a challenge...

Some clues along the way would be a marriage and possibly a birth following if pre-enlistment but disappearance or non appearance from/in census records north & south of the border. If the birth happened post enlistment, while the father was serving, then you may find this useful to read  https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/birth-marriage-death-armed-forces/

As you will see reading the above the birth records for children born of Army parents will either be on the Ancestry site or Find My Past site. You will also be able to access the pre WW1 service records on those sites too. Good luck.

bif - a quick question for you. Do you have the book on the 10th Seaforth Highlanders? 

22 hours ago, seaforths said:

I’m with Steven - Hielan‘ Laddie - sorry bif!

:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, seaforths said:

10th Seaforth Highlanders

The one with all the officer photos ?  I do.

Anything you need ???   🤔

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

:thumbsup:

Trying to get it set up as my GWF notification on my 'phone's ringtones.  Some day you'll have to tell the story of how you became a member of the London Scottish.  

1 hour ago, bif said:

Trying to get it set up as my GWF notification on my 'phone's ringtones.  Some day you'll have to tell the story of how you became a member of the London Scottish.  

I will. In Skindles.

bif - Yes please. I have the book. Am going to try to pick up where we left off with this guy. He’s in the book and named on maybe 2-3 photos. I have a later photo of him (named) from a newspaper and the photo was probably taken around 1917. However, there are some other photos I have but there are no names. These are much earlier in the 1890s. I have the dates of the photographs and know where they were taken. It’s a case of trying to pick him out, identify him using named images we know are him. I have an idea which one is him but another pair of eyes would be useful. I’ve had a back injury for quite a while but was running with it up to about 3 weeks ago when it went altogether. My husband was immediately taken into emergency respite care and I needed an emergency xray. Since then, I’ve been doing physiotherapy so I’m now out of my painkilling induced haze and graduated from a shambling shuffle to walking again. I have another two weeks on my own so if your email is still the same, I’ll try getting them to you later this evening. There’s no rush on my part though for you to do it so you can take your time.

Edited by seaforths

Excellent. I’ll strap myself in for that one!

11 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I will. In Skindles.

Excellent. I’ll strap myself in for that one! 

5 hours ago, seaforths said:

email

Yes, it is the same.  Send over when you can and I 'll do my best.

5 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I will. In Skindles.

Please give warning so I'll have time to pour a wee dram ?