Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

seaforth highlander uniform

mandig

Hello

Can anyone help with attached photo, from the collar badges I think it is Seaforth Highlanders, my great grandfather was in the RAMC 22 field ambulance during WW1 born 1886- Richard Banks Milner 8039 - could this be him?  or is the uniform from pre WW1?

soldier.jpg

2 hours ago, mandig said:

Can anyone help with attached photo, from the collar badges I think it is Seaforth Highlanders, my great grandfather was in the RAMC 22 field ambulance during WW1 born 1886- Richard Banks Milner 8039 - could this be him?  or is the uniform from pre WW1?

The uniform is pre-WW1, but definitely Seaforth Highlanders - the double collar badges in that combination are unique to them, representing the amalgamation in 1881 of the 72nd Regiment, Duke of Albany's Own Highlanders (the "Caber Feidh" badges) with the 78th (Highlanders) Regiment of Foot  (the elephant badges):

Seaforth Highlanders Regiment Collar Badge PAIR

Typical of the period around the 2nd Boer War, the young Seaforth HIghlander shown is wearing an undress frock (loose fitting working jacket) of late 1890s pattern.  It was made of rough serge wool and was one of the earliest patterns issued to soldiers that was fitted with chest pockets.  Although not regulation to do so it appears to be fitted with regimental rather than general service buttons.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you, I will have to do more research on this side of the family tree as it isn't who I was told it was, as he would only be 13yrs old in 1899? The only person I know who was in the Boer war was another Great grandfather who was wounded in ww1 and died from his wounds 2 years later, he was in the 2nd Borderers Walter Alfred Coltman.  

Thank you, I will dig deeper.

19 minutes ago, mandig said:

Thank you, I will have to do more research on this side of the family tree as it isn't who I was told it was, as he would only be 13yrs old in 1899? The only person I know who was in the Boer war was another Great grandfather who was wounded in ww1 and died from his wounds 2 years later, he was in the 2nd Borderers Walter Alfred Coltman.  

Thank you, I will dig deeper.

The minimum age for enlistment as a Boy entrant (maximum of twelve boys in an infantry battalion approximately 1,000 strong) was 12 - the then statutory school leaving age - although the majority tended to be the son's of SNCOs in regiments.  Although 12 was possible most were around 14 when they enlisted, and they required the written permission of parents.  They remained as Boys in separate accommodation until they were 18. As an example I enclose two photos of Boys circa 1913.  It's not impossible that he joined at 13.  Was his father a soldier?

Bob_Sutton243.jpg

6008036.png

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you,  I'm not sure if any of our family have any connection to Scotland, as they all come from Essex, is that something that would be relevent or doesn't that matter? 

7 minutes ago, mandig said:

Thank you,  I'm not sure if any of our family have any connection to Scotland, as they all come from Essex, is that something that would be relevent or doesn't that matter? 

No it's not relevant.  According to some statistics worked out in a published work the regiment with the highest number of soldiers from its allocated recruiting area had only 60% from within it.  There were, e.g. many 'Cockney Highlanders'.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

No it's not relevant.  According to some statistics worked out in a published work the regiment with the highest number of soldiers from its allocated recruiting area had only 60% from within it.  There were, e.g. many 'Cockney Highlanders'.

It would take a heart of stone to resist the lure of a kilt.

38 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Yes indeed, and I'm not quite sure what that says about some men's preferred mode of dress.....

Edited by FROGSMILE

25 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

It wouldn't with legs like mine!!!.   Pete.

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I wore a Kilt to a Pub once - never again!!!!

17 hours ago, Sepoy said:

I wore a Kilt to a Pub once - never again!!!!

Snowflake.

20 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Or the sound of the pipes playing Cock O' the North at sunrise on a cool fall morning ?

Hielan' Laddie is a better tune.

On 02/07/2020 at 15:13, Steven Broomfield said:

Or the sound of the pipes playing Cock O' the North at sunrise on a cool fall morning ?

I agree, but I thinkC o'N is the regimental "waking up" tune ?

Sorry about the double clutch all.  Having a bit of a palaver with Mr "Phone.

On 03/07/2020 at 18:14, bif said:

Hang on bif .... 

... to quote Major Jock Sinclair in Tunes of Glory (1960) regarding "Cock of the North'' ...... "Ah, yon's a cheesy tune. You'll no play that.'

You're not drifting away from the land of Cabar Feidh bif?   

Have a dram and get back on track!

Ian

P.S. 'Johnny Cope' is Reveille (p.7 Seaforth Highlanders Standard Settings of Pipe Music)

Then Jonny C it is.  Who could ever disagree with Jock ?  I think two drams, one each for reveille and retreat, is probably best.

Edited by bif

On 02/07/2020 at 12:51, FROGSMILE said:

regimental

Frogsmile,  Is this what you/we are talking about ?20200704_213457.jpg.ba5290d75b0c89aab53e5bd73870a9e3.jpg

Edited by bif

Yes, the rim around the circumference of the button is visible in the photo despite its poor condition.

734E18B6-B6AB-4732-95F7-CB8A33A106D7.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

rim

Frogsmile,     It's all your good training.  THAT rim is exactly what I picked up on in the photo.  It was the only one that fit from my small but quality group of 72/78/Seaforth buttons.  

It's good to be a contributor !

21 minutes ago, bif said:

Frogsmile,     It's all your good training.  THAT rim is exactly what I picked up on in the photo.  It was the only one that fit from my small but quality group of 72/78/Seaforth buttons.  

It's good to be a contributor !

Always good to have your contributions bif 👍

Sorry I don’t get much time anymore to contribute in a meaningful way. I do try and read the forum when time allows. For what it’s worth, I can contribute the following:

1.   The practice of boys joining up wasn’t confined to the offspring of seniors. The son’s of privates also joined as band boys as did one of my WW1 Seaforth men in India in 1885 while at their permanent base and his father, a private, was on Robert’s march to Kandahar.

2. They did seek permission to recruit where they happened to be serving in England and Ireland, if numbers were dropping and insufficient personnel were coming through from the depot in Scotland.

3. Both 1st & 2nd Battalions served in England - Aldershot, Isle of Wight and Windsor pre WW1.

I’m with Steven - Hielan‘ Laddie - sorry bif!

Edited by seaforths

48 minutes ago, seaforths said:

Sorry I don’t get much time anymore to contribute in a meaningful way. I do try and read the forum when time allows. For what it’s worth, I can contribute the following:

1.   The practice of boys joining up wasn’t confined to the offspring of seniors. The son’s of privates also joined as band boys as did one of my WW1 Seaforth men in India in 1885 while at their permanent base and his father, a private, was on Robert’s march to Kandahar.

2. They did seek permission to recruit where they happened to be serving in England and Ireland, if numbers were dropping and insufficient personnel were coming through from the depot in Scotland.

3. Both 1st & 2nd Battalions served in England - Aldershot, Isle of Wight and Windsor pre WW1.

I’m with Steven - Hielan‘ Laddie - sorry bif!

I totally agree that son’s of private soldiers could also join as Boy entrants and there are numerous cases of that occurring, but as only 12 Boys were permitted on the strength of each infantry battalion, there was some competition, and apparently the son’s of SNCOs were (perhaps understandably) given preference when there was competition for places.  I didn’t make it up, but was paraphrasing information that I’ve read from published works regarding the late Victorian period through to WW1.

Edited by FROGSMILE