Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rare for a British Soldier to Receive a Foreign Medal?

sr97

23 hours ago, Keith_history_buff said:

There is further detail about there being an amended despatch in this post here

Have found them, both mentioned in the 2nd despatch, Marne 16/10/1914. It seems the confusion lay in French's final paragraph of his first despatch, he had not yet been able to complete a list of officers noted for services due to the urgency required in receiving the first despatch and writes that he would include it in a future one instead.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by sr97

Pte Edwin Curtis, no.30356  was a 'runner' in the 123rd Coy MGC. He was awarded for action 7th June 1917 (Messines).  LG 21.8.1917,  ‘Confirmed by X Corps, RO No.7190,  27.6.1917’, presentation of ribbons on 11.7.1917                

However, he was also awarded the French Croix de Guerre - but I don't know when and why - though from the above posts it could be because he had already attested his courage / bravery.

I have a photograph of him but beyond the above I don't know anything else about him (I'd like to know).                                                

Edited by JulianB

54 minutes ago, JulianB said:

Pte Edwin Curtis, no.30356  was a 'runner' in the 123rd Coy MGC. He was awarded [???] for action 7th June 1917 (Messines).  LG 21.8.1917,  ‘Confirmed by X Corps, RO No.7190,  27.6.1917’, presentation of ribbons on 11.7.1917                

What was he awarded?

2 hours ago, JulianB said:

Pte Edwin Curtis, no.30356  was a 'runner' in the 123rd Coy MGC. He was awarded for action 7th June 1917 (Messines).  LG 21.8.1917,  ‘Confirmed by X Corps, RO No.7190,  27.6.1917’, presentation of ribbons on 11.7.1917                

However, he was also awarded the French Croix de Guerre - but I don't know when and why - though from the above posts it could be because he had already attested his courage / bravery.

I have a photograph of him but beyond the above I don't know anything else about him (I'd like to know).                                                

Hi 

His CdG https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31409/supplement/7808

As his MM was June 1917 and this is June 1919 I would not think it was for the same action, but more on a very good job done over a period of time and not an action that would warrant a bar to his MM. You would need to look at the 41st Bn MGC war diary to see if there is any mention of him. Local newspaper for Ingatestone may have some thing.

The MM card is curtesy Ancestry Free download. 

Cheers

Peter

MM.JPG

Many thanks ! Yes, the 123 Coy became B Coy of 41 Bn - they were in Germany (occupation forces) in June.

I have every WD etc for the 123 but I'm not sure that I have the  whole 41 bn data.

(what was that about TNA downloads......?

You can download the MM MIC free of charge from Ancestry, as reproduced two posts above. His name will be in one of the WO 388/7 lists, but I think these are just listings of names, and don't really add much, unless if you are interested to see if others in the same regiment are also listed.