Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Isaac Reece, aboard steam trawler Loch Ryan captured 1916, subsequently POW in Brandenburg camp.

Nicola Reece

This is the text of the reply received from the ICRC regarding the POW list:

I confirm that the list you mention does not refers to any index card. I double checked with some names of it and could not find any card related to those persons.
I guess it is a mistake made during the recording of the lists/names. Indeed, our colleagues in charge to build those lists during the First World War had to deal daily with hundred of lists and they could have missed to create index cards related to this one page list.
I regret not being able to assist you further.

Understandable.

Max

On 31/05/2020 at 14:40, charlie962 said:

FindmyPast has some good records- you must have missed them, perhaps birth 1878 ?- here is Brandenburg transfers from Dulmen 4/10/16  with several Loch Ryan men including Isaac Reece

PS Great photos.

Charlie

38 minutes ago, MaxD said:

This is the text of the reply received from the ICRC regarding the POW list:

I confirm that the list you mention does not refers to any index card. I double checked with some names of it and could not find any card related to those persons.
I guess it is a mistake made during the recording of the lists/names. Indeed, our colleagues in charge to build those lists during the First World War had to deal daily with hundred of lists and they could have missed to create index cards related to this one page list.
I regret not being able to assist you further.

Understandable.

Max

Ah.  Thanks for the sitrep! Understandable indeed, but thanks to you both and all the other helpers for confirming his movement from camp to camp for me, and helping me with my jigsaw. I still can't find any references to how and when he got home, but I'll keep trying. 

I would have thought that the men would all have been repatriated together and that he would have reached home about the same time as Walter Kershaw.  Obviously, and sadly, Kershaw's home coming was newsworthy.  Local newspapers??

Max

4 minutes ago, MaxD said:

I would have thought that the men would all have been repatriated together and that he would have reached home about the same time as Walter Kershaw.  Obviously, and sadly, Kershaw's home coming was newsworthy.  Local newspapers??

Max

I've tried, but nothing so far. Still, it's a long game.