Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

hcb lenthall

lyndaf

14 hours ago, lyndaf said:

hi everyone and hope everyone's ok

i wanted to know what happened to his widow and children? did they have a rough time afterwards? many thanks for your help lyndaf

He married Emma Moore in the September quarter of 1904 in Spalding....having sons Edgar in 1906 and Frank W in late 1911.

I can't see a remarriage for Emma at the moment.

Hi

Looks like Emma was present as a witness at Frank William's wedding on 8.8.1936 @ All Saints ,Norwood, Croydon to Doris Budgen. Signed E. Lenthall. Frank died Nov.2003 and Doris 1977. Emma died 1958,Surrey.

Edgar Harry died 1993, Basingstoke.  he married Eleanor Kathleen Shepherd/Cannon  July 1931.

Regards Barry

Hi All

1939 register Amelia  Abbott (Moore) also with the family is one of Emma's elder sisters, b.18.11.1865..public tree here...https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/22281305/person/18025581041/facts Hilda Mary Abbott  (Amelia's daughter) m Henry Norman Wyles, June 1936, Eton, Bucks.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

• 1 year later...

Hi Lynda

Edgar (HCB's eldest son) was my maternal grandfather. My mother, Edgar's youngest child, knew Emma well in her years as a widower bringing up Edgar & Frank. She never remarried and very likely never properly recovered from the loss of her husband. HCB was a professional solider by all accounts and volunteered to join up again for WW1. We have copies of cards and letters sent by HCB to Emma during the last year or so of his service. I've also photo's.

I'm curious about HCB's South Africa service. I have been to Mendingham to pay my respects at his grave. Frank's son is well although, like my mother, both well into their 80's now. 

I assume you're aware of HCB's ancestral link to Speaker Lenthall? 

so glad to have found your thread. b/w

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @lyndaf hasn’t visited the forum for a couple of years. With luck , my tag will alert her to your post.

Welcome to the forum , Martin! Always good when a descendant picks up a thread.

I provided the link to his service record on Findmypast earlier on. It is also on Ancestry.

He was with 2nd Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment and earned the Queen's South Africa medal with clasps Paardeberg, Cape Colony and Transvaal. King's South Africa medal with bars 1901 and 1902. The medal roll confirming this is on Ancestry. 

His service record shows he was in South Africa 14/1/1900- 23/6/1900 and again 27/11/1900-4/9/1903. 

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

• 3 months later...