Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.N.R. Good Conduct Badges

stuart rowles

Thanks Horatio, when things get back to some sense of normality (maybe?), will certainly have a read of that document.

Best... Bryan

For the naval services they are Sea Service chevrons i.e. service at sea.  

The Secretary of the Admiralty announced their award in May 1918 stating that the individual must have an aggregate of three months qualification service in the year to entitle him to the award for that year.

Thanks Arabis, appreciate yr response, I was never really certain on the award of the WS chevrons,

Best wishes, Bryan

“Stars on naval uniforms are relatively new dating from the late 19th century.  At that time it was decided to use a symbol with a nautical connotation, and the one chosen was the original nautical compass rose used by the Romans.  They used 12-points to 'box their compass'  as we today 'box the compass' using 32-points or higher depending upon the degree of accuracy required. If you study a naval ratings star more carefully,

Thanks Froggie, I knew about the compass bearings relating to the 6 pointed star,

Another item that is not well known is that inside the Ratings wide brimmed straw hats (worn prior to 1WW) there is usually a Compass Rose at the top of the crown.

I am very fortunate to have one of those straw hats & might have a photo of the compass rose, if so I will post it.

May just start another topic on those hats as I dont wish to clog this one up with a lot of (possibly)useless info!

Best...Bryan

PS - just checked, the compass rose on the Raiting's straw hat is on the outside top of the crown, have not looked at it for sometime!

Edited by RNCVR

• 1 year later...

This may be WW2 but I have a picture of a Petty Officer's insignia and need help identifying it.  Chevron is good conduct or three years service? Cannot quite make out badge above - messing around with photoshop might reveal more. Have a look,

2036302150_pettyofficer.jpg.641c3f45ecce5aa72d9c4ce7312a45bc.jpg     

Better quality version,

134055821_petty2.jpg.95caf046c0f5499f642e38de2755dbdd.jpg

Edited by Sean Kennedy

4 hours ago, Sean Kennedy said:

This may be WW2 but I have a picture of a Petty Officer's insignia and need help identifying it.  Chevron is good conduct or three years service? Cannot quite make out badge above - messing around with photoshop might reveal more. Have a look,

2036302150_pettyofficer.jpg.641c3f45ecce5aa72d9c4ce7312a45bc.jpg     

Better quality version,

134055821_petty2.jpg.95caf046c0f5499f642e38de2755dbdd.jpg

It’s one half of crossed anchors with you seeing the bottom of the right hand anchor (hook) swung towards you.  There is a crown above out of sight.  It appears to be a Petty Officers rating badge. 

5E82112E-F6AB-400B-AD0E-C1229E51B1E3.jpeg

168117B6-EFCD-4361-B831-C08B89636D12.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

25 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

It’s one half of crossed anchors with you seeing the bottom of the right hand anchor (hook) swung towards you.  There is a crown above out of sight.  It appears to be a Petty Officers rating badge. 

5E82112E-F6AB-400B-AD0E-C1229E51B1E3.jpeg

168117B6-EFCD-4361-B831-C08B89636D12.jpeg

Thanks so much.

Would the chevron/stripe indicate one year's service? Just found an example stating this online. 

The chevrons, Good Conduct Badges (GCB), were earned after 3, 8 and 13 years' service and 'undetected crime'. So, three years for the example shown unless after 1 July 1946 when the rules changed to 4, 8 and 12 years.