Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

TANK CORPS 50th ANNIVERSARY DINNER: SEPTEMBER 1966

INW

A H CHEW MEDALS AND BADGES

My cousins have scanned the medal areas from the main photograph and produced TIFF flies at 9600 DPI. These are to big to publish on the site so I have cropped them as tight as possible and resorted to JPG files and increased the contrast on the badges image. The upper badge does not seem to match anything in Iain Swinnerton's book.

List from my left to right.

1. 1914 Star

2. British War

3. Victory with Mentioned in Dispatches

4. General Service?

5. WWII War Medal

6.?

7.?

I can 'We Transfer' the TIFF files if anyone has forensic skills with photoshop.

INW

Chew Badges.jpg

Chew Medals.jpg

Old Contemptibles Association.

21 minutes ago, INW said:

OLD COMTEMPTIBLES ASSOCIATION BADGE

Thanks Gareth

REF: Surrey and the Great War

OCA badge.jpg

Most likely - be something he would be proud of. His medals from his entitlements and rolls and worn in correct order.

1. 1914 Star with clasp.

2. British War Medal

3. Victory Medal with Mentioned in Dispatches emblem

4. General Service Medal with Iraq clasp

5. WWII War Medal

6 Army Long Service and Good Conduct Medal (with 21 years service)

7.Croix de Guerre

THE FOURTH MAN

The original tiff file has been worked on in Camera Raw but this does not reveal the name on the lapel badge.

I think 'Border Collie' has got medals 3 and 4 right. Thank you!

INW

Fouthman.jpg

NEWSPAPER ADVERT

This was the advert that lead to my Grandfather being persuaded to go to the dinner by his children and their partners.

Ref: Birmingham Mail 6 August 1966.

INW

Birmingham Mail article 6 Aug 1966.jpg

THE ATTENDEES LIST AND PROGRAMME

50th ANNIVERSARY OF THE FIRST TANK BATTLE ON 15th SEPTEMBER 1916

VETERAN'S DINNER 1916 - 1918

CAXTON HALL

15th SEPTEMBER 1966

Ref: TANK MUSEUM ARCHIVE, BOVINGTON.

As requested.

INW

15Sept1966003.jpg

15Sept1966004.jpg

15Sept1966005.jpg

15Sept1966006.jpg

I sent the full TIFF file to Dai Balch and he worked on it again in Photoshop. Thanks Dai.

I probably have to accept that this is the best we are going to get... two initials and a six letter surname perhaps?

There are about 90 men on the attendance list. I guess there are about 50 with two initials.

INW

Badge2.jpg

Well done to Gareth for identifying the Old Contemptibles badge.

The list of attendees is fascinating and there are quite a few familiar names from D (4th) Bn, Re the fourth man, I wondered about C. E. Kessel which looks similar to the name badge - the medal records show this was Major Cyril Ernest Kessell of G (7th) Bn, but he went overseas in March 1915 so we can rule him out as the man in the photo isn't wearing the 1914-15 Star.

This could be a long job!

John

Thanks John. Badges are not normally my forte.

What I find amazing is that I was actually alive when this event took place. 

You and me both, Gareth. If only we could turn back the clock and head over there with a tape recorder. Mind you, I was pretty young at the time - though already interested in the First World War.

John

@INW I wonder if people on WW2Talk might be able to help you identify the fourth man.  The India GSM 1936-39 might indicate that he was serving in India in September 1939.  The sixth medal in the group appears to be the Africa Star but there is no clasp.  That might help an expert in WW2 orbats to pinpoint the unit in which the man was serving in the early 1940s. Africa Star clasps were awarded to 8th Army, 1st Army and the North Africa 1942-43 clasp for those in 18th Army Group units.  I think there was an RTR squadron that served in Eritrea and they would have qualified for the Africa Star but not for a clasp unless they subsequently moved to a formation qualifying for a clasp.  The WW2 mid might also help narrow down his identity

THE FOURTH MAN'S MEDALS

Border Collie has had another look at the scan of the Medal's and I summarise his cerebral detective work below.

1    WWI British War Medal

2    WWI Victory Medal

3   General Service Medal 1918 - 1962

4   India General Service Medal 1936 -39

5    WWII 1939 - 1945 Star    Note: as worn by Captain Sir Tom

6    WWII Africa Star

7    WWII France and Germany Star 

8    WWII Defence Medal

9    WWII War Medal with oak leaf for 'Mentioned In Dispatches    Note: as worn by Captain Sir Tom (no MID but world wide fame).

10  Long Service and Good Conduct issued 1944 - 1959

INW

Fourthman.jpg

Edited by INW
To comply with today's news

POSSIBLE FOURTH MAN

Whilst having my post breakfast coffee I started going through the list of attendees of the Dinner. I have got from Allden to Cook.

The only likely candidate so far is Gerald Harris Brooks. (note: two initials and a six letter surname).

He does have a army career that extends to the WWII. Died in 1988. This is the medal card downloaded from Ancestry.

I do not understand all the medal references but there seems to be one referenced ''clasp NWF 1935"; could that be North West Frontier?

INW

G H Brooks Medal Card.jpg

Edited by INW
typos

24 minutes ago, INW said:

POSSIBLE FOURTH MAN

I do not understand all the medal references but there seems to be one referenced ''clasp NWF 1935"; could that be North West Frontier?

INW

Yes, it would relate to the Second Mohmand campaign on the North West Frontier of 1935.

”In 1935 the Mohmands, influenced by the Haji of Turangzai and his three sons the Badshah Guls, were marauding in the plains. At the end of July about 2000 tribesmen were disrupting working parties repairing the Mohinand–Gandab road.

The Government decided to send a sizeable punitive force against them, called the Mohmand Force or Mohforce. The force, mobilised by 17 August, included the Nowshera and Peshawar Brigades of the Indian Army, a section of the Royal Tank Corps, the 18th King Edward's Own Cavalry, and the 22nd Derajat Mountain Battery (Frontier Force), with air support from the Indian Wing commanded by Basil Embry.”

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, INW said:

POSSIBLE FOURTH MAN

Whilst having my post breakfast coffee I started going through the list of attendees of the Dinner. I have got from Allden to Cook.

The only likely candidate so far is Gerald Harris Brooks. (note: two initials and a six letter surname).

He does have a army career that extends to the WWII. Died in 1988. This is the medal card downloaded from Ancestry.

INW

G H Brooks Medal Card.jpg

Our man has the LS&GC which I didn't think was awarded to officers. 

1 hour ago, Gareth Davies said:

Our man has the LS&GC which I didn't think was awarded to officers. 

It is to officers commissioned from the ranks providing that they’ve already qualified, and bizarrely they can then claim a bar to it if they continue to serve long enough to qualify, i.e. it remains accumulative.

Isn't there a minimum qualifying period of service as an OR? And did Brooks serve as an OR?

From the MIC it doesn't look as if he was an OR - however there's a photo here to compare: https://www.tankmuseum.org/museum-online/medals/recipient/B395

We need some facial recognition software...

John

I knew Brooks' name was familiar - he commanded F46 Fay in an attack in the Ypres Salient on August 22, 1917. He's the crew commander referred to in the account below (from the War History of F Battalion). This was the same attack where Fray Bentos was trapped in no man's land. Brooks had a distinguished career and the Tank Museum link above includes a list of his medals - however I'm not sure whether they match those worn by the officer in the photo?

image.png.60fc653ace43ca2868ce75202e0550ba.png

1 hour ago, Gareth Davies said:

Isn't there a minimum qualifying period of service as an OR? And did Brooks serve as an OR?

Yes, there is a minimum qualifying period of service as an OR, Gareth, but once that period is reached then the clock of reckonable service continues to tick regardless of the rank reached.  It’s an oddity that still exists today.

If the man with the LSGC did indeed become an officer, which seems quite likely given his apparent length of service that must have extended beyond 22-years for him to serve also in WW2, then it would be appropriate for him to wear the mix of medals seen. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

This is the two side by side for comparison. I would say... I'm not sure.

image.png.7216cdc3fdd43e687ba0f23a99f75e28.png

13 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes, there is a minimum qualifying period of service as an OR, Gareth, but once that period is reached then the clock of reckonable service continues to tick regardless of the rank reached.  It’s an oddity that still exists today.

If the man with the LSGC did indeed become an officer, which seems quite likely given his apparent length of service that must have extended beyond 22-years for him to serve also in WW2, then it would be appropriate for him to wear the mix of medals seen. 

What was that minimum length of service as an OR? Looking at Brooks' MIC I don't see much service as an OR. I don't think it is Brooks.

31 minutes ago, johntaylor said:

We need some facial recognition software.

...and better enhancement of the photo of the name badge.

These guys could do it, but they're a bit pricey:

Link