Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Medal Framing

chids

2 hours ago, kloughnane said:

Bryan,

Your displays are amazing - you have obviously put a lot of time, effort, thought and money into them. I suspect that other forum members will get some inspiration from you and hopefully will be able to commemorate their own ancestors in such a fitting manner.

Regards,

Kev Loughnane

Thanks Kev,

I do very much appreciate your kind comments.  I have always loved medals the love affair started when I was in Sea Cadets way back in late 50's, there were certainly a  lot of medals around in those days to view,  the late 2WW & Korea being very close.

But as a bit of time went on & I began to learn more about medals (I read anything I could get my hands on about medals & history), & in those days there was nowhere near the info available as there is today, I gradually developed an interest in the Victorian Royal Navy, & particular the Ironclad era to the Dreadnought revolution.

So as time went on I gradually developed a pretty decent collection of that period. Certainly I missed a lot of what I would have liked to obtain simply due to the fact that I could not afford really superb groupings, but I did better than passable, & was able to manage a few very nice groups.  When the huge & varied Douglas Morris collection came up for auction in mid 90's I was in a position to obtain some groups I would not normally have been able to obtain.  That collection long dispersed now but occasionally I see a group come up for auction or sale that was ex DM collection.  A couple other very old nice RN collections have come up in the past 15 or so yrs as well.

Also, over time, I was able to purchase from some very old Canadian collections as well for reasonable prices.

Altho I have sold a fair amount in the past two years & continue to sellout gradually, I still have interest & still read a lot, & love looking at medals & medal displays of any period, altho I have to say modern groups do not "do it" for me.

I will try to post some more of my remaining groups in time.  It would be nice to keep this excellent topic current & I am hoping other medal collecting members might join in as well.

There are also some nice medal groupings in Kim's: "The Foreigners in my Medal Collection' (Medals section),

& 'Submarine E-6 & HMS Maidstone' (Sailors, Navies, & War at Sea section) - I have  a very nice CGM group in this topic. 

Best Wishes!

Bryan

my couple of dilemmas 

recently I managed to get my grandfathers threebrothers trio's with two plaques, I have GF's swb , do I mount now or wait until I find the other two brothers groups?

secondly, I have over 120,family named soldiers/sailors/airmen, singles/pairs/trios/swb's and plaques which I add to when they come up, what to do, how to mount

On 08/05/2020 at 09:52, kloughnane said:

Paul,

I used standard cap badges that I had purchased through ebay. I didn't do the framing myself but I don't believe that there were any major issues involved in the framing. But one thing I would suggest that you take into consideration when purchasing, is the crown. If the cap badge is surmounted by a crown then it will most likely be a King's crown for a WW1 soldier, as opposed to a Queen's crown for a more modern one.

Regards,

Kev Loughnane

Thanks Kev that’s a really good point and something that I would not have considered.

He was in the Essex Regiment 

Paul,

I'm not an expert, but I believe that the Essex Regt cap badge was surmounted by a sphinx? That eliminates the worry about an incorrect crown?

Regards,

Kev Loughnane

Thanks Kev, I will make some enquiries with the regiment to find out

• 3 months later...

I have finally got back to this project after a long delay due to various reasons. Have finally decided on layout and style, I won’t give any spoilers, as soon as I have the finished frame I will post a picture, thanks again for everyone that contributed to the thread.

Paul 

Thanks Paul, look forward to your update & photos in future!

Best Wishes,

Bryan

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. There's no need to spend a fortune on frames. I got this box frame in a boot sale for £2 a few years ago:

DSC_0009.JPG

Edited by Ivor Anderson

A very nice framing display Ivor.

Thanks for posting!

Bryan

My grandfather and Father's medal sets, not framed but using display cases.

John.

IMG_20200428_093746.jpg

IMG_20200428_093547.jpg

dad223.jpg

Edited by jwp2007