Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Medal Framing

chids

This really follows on from my previous thread about Medal Ribbons, but apologies for a new thread but this is really about framing options.

I have tried a few places online, but has anybody any recommendations for framing of medals here in the UK? 

Has anybody had their medals framed, I would love to see the different layouts and ideas that people have. I sadly have no picture to go with the medals, but would love to see the different ideas of how you have displayed your own medal collections, before I decide how to display my own collection.

I should add it's the Death penny and the 1914-15 Star; the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

Thanks

Paul

Try Googling Honours and Awards -  lots of photographs on their website - Tony Kirk who runs the company  is a member of the GWF.

Thanks appreciate that, these look exactly what I was looking for, lots of different examples, layouts and designs, really helpful, thanks

I did ours myself.  Not perfect but it works ok for me, and I think that they would have been quite chuffed that I appreciate them so much!  Got the frames in Hobbycraft, but I'm not sure that they do them now.

Top left my Grandad and his son (my Dad) on the right.  Bottom, my other Grandad.

002.jpg.e9e05408b209b1cf2bd47deb2f16518a.jpg

To be fair you've made a great job with yours! Im not so sure if I'm as clever or artifice enough for something that good

32 minutes ago, chids said:

To be fair you've made a great job with yours! Im not so sure if I'm as clever or artifice enough for something that good

Thank you.  It wasn't really that difficult.  I thought about it a lot first and took my time when I did it.  I like to think that by taking the trouble to do it myself it made it more personal, if you see what I mean. 

As an aside (and I know that I'm straying out of Great War territory)  My Dad was put off applying for his WW2 Defence and War medals by a Sergeant Major with a chest full of ribbons because he belittled the two that my Dad was entitled to.  Not too long before Dad died, I applied and received them on his behalf.  He was very pleased that I had.  

An HMS Black Prince Jutland casualty I framed a few yrs back.... over the many yrs I have been collecting medals I have framed up several groups that I particularly liked.   I try to use older frames if I can obtain them, the best sources would be Flea Market (as they are called in Canada) stalls. 

I could show more if of interest....

Thanks,

Bryan

Urso frame.JPG

Urso Blk Prince Jutland.JPG

3 hours ago, lucycutler said:

Thank you.  It wasn't really that difficult.  I thought about it a lot first and took my time when I did it.  I like to think that by taking the trouble to do it myself it made it more personal, if you see what I mean. 

As an aside (and I know that I'm straying out of Great War territory)  My Dad was put off applying for his WW2 Defence and War medals by a Sergeant Major with a chest full of ribbons because he belittled the two that my Dad was entitled to.  Not too long before Dad died, I applied and received them on his behalf.  He was very pleased that I had.  

I fully fully understand what you mean about making it more personal because it was something that you made yourself. Maybe once this lockdown is over I can look at what framing materials are available.

how awful to be undermined by a serving officer, also really pleased that you ordered Dads medals on his behalf for him. I’m sure he was absolutely delighted that you did 

3 hours ago, RNCVR said:

An HMS Black Prince Jutland casualty I framed a few yrs back.... over the many yrs I have been collecting medals I have framed up several groups that I particularly liked.   I try to use older frames if I can obtain them, the best sources would be Flea Market (as they are called in Canada) stalls. 

I could show more if of interest....

Thanks,

Bryan

Urso frame.JPG

Urso Blk Prince Jutland.JPG

Wow what a great job you have done there Bryan really impressed with that display and the inclusion of the pictures, really impressed.

i would love to see some more please Bryan, thank you 

I appreciate your kind words Bob, much appreciated!

I had to take the Bandmaster display out of the frame to get a decent shot, too much glare from the glass, but he is in an older frame.

Many of my medal groups I had framed I have sold now & have not retained some of the photos I had taken of them, but here is one of my favourites.  For many yrs I specialized in the Egypt\Soudan(1882-88) campaigns, primarily trying to acquire groups to the Naval Brigades that served & saw action ashore during that lengthy campaign.

This is a nice group to an Admiral's Coxswain who saw action during the Ashantee\Coomassie campaign of 1873, then during the Egypt campaigns of 1882-84.   Frame not that visible, but photo will give you an idea of how I laid out my medal displays.

Thanks,

Bryan

Cook frame.JPG

Continuing my Egypt theme - this frame shows the medal group, photo, & rank badge of Admiral's Coxswain Henry Winsor, He was Admiral Beauchamp Seymour's Cox'n for several years including this Flagship HMS Alexandra at the Bombardment of the Egyptian Forts at Alexandria.  After Winsor retired he continued to be employed as Adm Beauchamp's valet until the Admiral passed away.

Not too long after I had obtained Winsor's medal group I was able to find an original CDV of Admiral Seymour on ebay, so snapped it up to include in the display. Both photos are originals as is Winsor's CPO rank insignia.

Thanks,

Bryan

Winsor.group.frame.JPG

I have used Award Medals this year. They were first-class and would strongly recommend them.

The wife's grandfather's medals: They are copies, supplied and swing mounted by Worcestershire Medals. The cap badge came from ebay and the photo is from the family collection (not the original - I scanned and printed this copy). The frame is bespoke and was done by the Warwick Leadlay Gallery in Greenwich (SE London). The framing has been done so that the medals can be removed for wearing, should the wife wish to do so at Remembrance times, and then replaced in the frame. Not the cheapest option available, but they do a superb job. 20200503_180438.jpg.f7fa77c9c5a2dfa5a332f92120b814c7.jpg

Regards,

Kev Loughnane

Thanks Bryan, Hedley and Kev, these displays and frames look amazing and have given me some real food for thought of what I want to achieve and what I want the finished frame to look like. Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures, I really appreciate your help. I really like the idea of adding a cap badge Kev, that really adds to the whole thing. All the additional items that you have added Bryan make these a real display item, just wish I had more items in my collection. Thanks again for your help.

Paul,

These are (again) copies of my Great Grandfather's trio. At the time that I had these done I didn't have a photo of him so was unable to include it. I did think afterwards that a brass shoulder title would have looked nice underneath the medals. However, even with those items missing, I am still happy with the result. The brass plaque on the bottom of the frame is inscribed with his details (number, rank, name, battalion and regiment). 

Trio.jpg.647282d8ed57f93ccd3cd1893e5a20a6.jpg

Regards,

Kev Loughnane

Morning,

In commemoration of my two grandfathers.

Framer stated they were the largest he had ever done !

Regards,

Graeme

PS Included my Police medals.

IMG_20200504_092054.jpg

IMG_20200504_130802.jpg

Edited by GraemeClarke

1448334511_GrandfathersandDadsminiatures.jpg.0062c5be69d374a07e45035fb324ab41.jpgAitken_small.jpg.e43312076d5b2d27707e56c9bf65227a.jpg2035669721_SirE.Durand_small.jpg.e065889e5a2f49dfb45a13dc94e5b7ca.jpgLacey_small.jpg.5dfc76b35c5b28e944eadca58109eafb.jpgDockrell_small.jpg.4025e11b37cbadfe98886b1a221cf656.jpg1328803974_WalkerLadyCrichton-Stuart_small.jpg.03e43900b4602cb0aabb0561659e8820.jpgDear All,

I had Dad's and grandfather's MC miniature groups mounted by a well-known and ancient firm of medallists.

However, the medal groups from my own Collection were fashioned by myself, using the simplest of methods, as one can see. I utilized Images of the recipients in some cases...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

I really love this thread showing what descendents have done to honour their own family veterans (and others as well).  Be nice if it could keep running !

Dear lucycutler,

How nice of you to say that!

Here are a few more...

Kindest regards,

Kim.Hunter_Crown_small.jpg.c1dd2450801d8d0f2aa0fba23fc39ba3.jpgCorbett_small.jpg.0548577f567b90c8b835146e6f861ad0.jpg2122613436_FeskAldis_small.jpg.8e436f784289c8a3646efebcce61f87d.jpgSwift_KPM_small.jpg.941e5d8617ded7b08b8e218c10a61db7.jpgHauser_small.jpg.1aba735d0d8ec6a18795e0543e7bf45e.jpg

You have some very nice medal groups & photos accompanying them Kim,

many thanks for posting these wonderful groupings!

I do have one enquiry tho - in photo 2 (wedding photo) the Cavalry Officer is wearing a War & Victory medal plus what appears to be an IGS medal.  but the medals you show with his frame are BWM, IGS(Afghan), & GSM(Iraq).  Are they the same Officer?

Best Wishes!

Bryan

Afternoon,

I have attached a few from my walls at home. All are family members.

First is my father-in-laws WW2 beret, pay book, photo and blazer badge ( I know its out of topic rules but wanted to include it)

DSC_3226.JPG.1f843aee5c7a97bdb9cc8f03a7c08845.JPG

second is his medals, shoulder title and stripesDSC_3229.JPG.99b2ffe2e8e7b613fcd37af22dc15646.JPG

next is both of my great grandads.....

DSC_3232.JPG.894d657ee53b934d2b5081585738d2e5.JPG

Lastly my wifes grandad (photo) and great uncle. All frames and case are home made.DSC_3233.JPG.e4613c61e4c6c8556a8c416db0dc3630.JPG

I prefer my framed groups to be as near original as possible. Here is one mounted in a solid piece of carved oak. The man was a forester before serving in the 1/8th Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders. He was killed 9/4/17 at Roclincourt, 1st Battle of the Scarpe, Arras.

IMG_2901.JPG