Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HTSCF Fareham

Would I be correct in saying they had left 93 Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery May 1918?

I have just looked towards the end of 93 Brigade War Diary, after the last entry for 31/05/18.

There is a note to D.A.G. 3rd Echelon, GHQ that reads "Reference your number: 140/452 of 30/10/18, I regret to say that while moving Brigade HQ on the evening of the 31st, a lorry containing practically the whole of the correspondence of this Office was totally destroyed by a direct hit from an enemy shell G.21.d.1.1.). Two other lorries belonging to the ammunition Column of a Battery of the Brigade were also destroyed at the same time. I am, therefore, not in a position to supply the War Diary for the period referred to in your minute". This is signed by the Major commanding 93 Brigade, RGA and dated 03/11/18.

Will there be any other Diary or resource that might assist in my query? Perhaps there's someone out there with knowledge?

• 2 years later...
On 26/05/2020 at 16:09, Andrew Cockburn said:

Here's a picture of C Sub Section in case someone cant spot a relative …. mine is bottom right.

C SUB ARLARM Winners.jpg

Wow, I wonder if that's my great-grandfather William Berry Munro in uniform sitting directly behind your relative. It's hard to tell with old photographs, but he seems to have the long thin face! 

Munro served with the 26th Heavy Battery from January 1916 til demobilization in 1919. His service record says he was appointed acting bombardier in March 1917 and in April the London Gazette records a Military Medal for bravery in the field. He was also wounded at duty on April 29, 1918. Any advice on how to research what the 26th was doing in March/April 1917 and April 1918? I found their war dairies from 1914-1915 at the National Archives but not any later ones, and let me tell you, these impenetrably scrawled faded pencil with heavy use of abbreviations make for a steep learning curve! Any advice welcome.

William Berry Munro.png

Edited by NJJM

4 hours ago, NJJM said:

Wow, I wonder if that's my great-grandfather William Berry Munro in uniform sitting directly behind your relative. It's hard to tell with old photographs, but he seems to have the long thin face! 

Munro served with the 26th Heavy Battery from January 1916 til demobilization in 1919. His service record says he was appointed acting bombardier in March 1917 and in April the London Gazette records a Military Medal for bravery in the field. He was also wounded at duty on April 29, 1918. Any advice on how to research what the 26th was doing in March/April 1917 and April 1918? I found their war dairies from 1914-1915 at the National Archives but not any later ones, and let me tell you, these impenetrably scrawled faded pencil with heavy use of abbreviations make for a steep learning curve! Any advice welcome.

William Berry Munro.png

I have to be honest and say that I'm not so sure.

I'd done a bit of Photoshop tidying to the photo.

26-Heavy-Battery-Royal-Garrison-Artillery.jpg

A small observation - this photo is men of the 26th Heavy Brigade not 26th Battery?

Mark

7 hours ago, HTSCF Fareham said:

I'd done a bit of Photoshop tidying to the photo.

26-Heavy-Battery-Royal-Garrison-Artillery.jpg

Given the civilian \ man in civvies present, has it been possible to identify if this is a pre-war or post-war picture? As William Berry Munro didn't join them until 1916, and made acting bombardier in March 1917, a pre-war picture would rule him out. And in a post-war picture if it was him he'd be wearing his MM ribbon.

Or is there a scenario in which someone in civvies might be with them in 1916/17, (pre-MM award) and they'd be in what looks to be a relatively pristine camp?

Cheers,
Peter

Given that the gent in civvies is in the centre, I'd suspect him of being an officer

• 7 months later...

I am researching an officer who was attached to 26th Heavy Battery between July and November 1915 and am attempting to trace the unit's movements between September and November, as the unit's own war diary stops at end-August. I would therefore like to ask if anyone could inform me as to which higher formation the battery was attached from September onwards. Judging by the 26th's position at end-August, I suspect that they were involved in the Battle of Loos?

I would also be grateful if anyone could forward me the relevant pages (pp. 52-56) from the History of the 77th Brigade, R.G.A., which as per the first page of this thread contains information pertaining to the battery. I have been unable to trace a copy.

Many thanks for any and all help!

11 hours ago, GCMalta said:

26th Heavy Battery between July and November 1915 and am attempting to trace the unit's movements between September and November, as the unit's own war diary stops at end-August

Ogilby Muster has diary for Sep1915 onward here. Scroll down to near bottom of page 8 after 26 Hvy Bde you will find it.

https://www.theogilbymuster.com/search/results#/?query="26th heavy"&page=8&type=flex&sort=Regimental_Collection asc&filterBy=&spellCheck=true&recordView=3922394

Edited by charlie962