Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aussie and Kiwi Dunnicliff

Russellwoodward

Russell,

The WW2 Nominal Roll only records their postings at discharge so the RAAF boys may have served overseas. In any case for much of WW2 Australia pretty well was the front!!!

Rgds

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
Ernest Albert Francis DUNNICLIFF, (1309) who was born in Normanville, Sth Aust in c1881 - was married to Mabel Blanche DUNNICLIFF (maiden name unknown at this stage)

And they were the parents of Albert Francis James DUNNICLIFF, (3753) who was born in Adelaide on the 24th September 1901!!!!!!

Anyway, incase your interested - he had at least 3 younger brothers: Charles William George (who collected their dad's Memorial Plaque in 1923); Alfred Allen (of Wesbourne Park, S.A. who applied for their father's Gallipoli Medallion in July 1967); and Robert William.

Their mother Mabel, remarried to become Mrs Mackay (sometime before Aug 1921).

I can try for more detail from the Births, Deaths & Marriage registers (if you're interested) next time I'm at the library. But as I said earlier - what we have for the other States - here in Victoria - is a little limited.

Hi again Russell,

I'm afraid I haven't got much more for you except:

The parents of Ernest Albert Francis DUNNICLIFF were

William DUNNICLIFF & Harriet Elizabeth LITTLE

The first mention of them in the South Australian registers is for the birth & death of Ernest's older sister Edith Rose Emily, who was born 15/6/1879 & died 5/10/1879.

This is then followed by the birth of Ernest 21/8/1881

and his brother Arthur Henry born 2/7/1883

So William & Harriet may have emigrated to Australia not long before 1879 - (or of course they may have come from inter-state, I didn't have time to check all the other states)

Harriet's death is registered between 1926-30 (that's as specific as that index will give without you buying a certificate)

Arthur Henry died 9/11/1960. I couldn't find anything for William.

Ernest & Mabel (maiden name JAMES) only seem to have had the children already mentioned:

Albert of course (WW1)

and the 3 boys that were in the 2nd WW (their birth dates are noted in the Nominal Roll that Tim gave you links to) - one correction - where I've typed Robert William - it is Robert Wilton.

I'll put the bit on the NSW family separate.

Cheers, Frev

Thomas & Lily DUNNICLIFF, together with their son Thomas William (and probably other children) would have come to Australia sometime between 1883 & 1893. As Thomas William was born in London c1883 & his younger brother Robert Duff was born in Wentworth, NSW, Aust c1893.

Russell,

Thomas & Lily's children born in NSW, Australia:

George Cliff - b.1884, registered Campbelltown

Mary L - b.1887, reg. Hamilton

John A - b.1889, reg. Waratah

Lily - b. & d. 1892, reg. Newcastle

Robert Duff - b.1893, reg. Waratah

Mabel E. b.1895, reg. Waratah

Lily I. DUNNICLIFF died 1910, Waratah - daughter of George C & Elizabeth J. [no surnames given]

Thomas DUNNICLIFF died 1938, Mayfield - son of William & Charlotte.

So - it almost looks like Lily must have been pregnant with George on the boat over - this narrows your search a great deal.

Anyway, I hope this helps a little.

Good luck with the rest of your research.

Cheers, Frev

Dear Frev

Thanks for your reply

Apologies for not replying sooner but i have been away for a few days

The stories i have uncovered have been facinating and would not have been possible without all your help and the rest of the Forum

Thanks again for your help

I will try to let you know what i have unearthered shortlty

Many thanks again

Russell