Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Motor Machine Gun Batteries on the North West Frontier and India

pjwmacro

7 minutes ago, Dodram said:

David, Thank you so much. I have much of that information including his officer record. But I don't have the depth of information to make sense of it. Especially the bit from going abroad until his death. 

It may be of interest that Dean was capped three times at goalie for Scotland's Hockey team pre war. He also seems to have had a bit of a reputation as a quick draw/cartoon artist at society and charty events

He attested at Edinburgh 10th May1915 and was quickly promoted to acting Bmdr then Battery SM of 17th battery as you state. He was at school at Queens Park, I'm not sure if they would have had an OTC.

Again, much thanks for sharing your knowledge

Dod

By the enlistment date and location it's likely he enlisted due to a travelling MMGS recruitment team who were moving around the country. They advertised in local and national newspapers.  If you have electronic copy of his officer's record I'd be very happy to add to my file for him. I can probably decipher more of the information on it. He would attest at the recruiting office they used in Leith  and then given a rail warrant and sent down to Bisley. He would receive his number there I'm saying on 13th by the numbers around his. There is a surviving record for the man next to him (from Dundee).

I see in the newspaper archives his cartoonist  shows get several mentions. He must have continued with this as the last one I see dates to March 1919 in Peshawar. 

Hi David

Yes, I have the electronic version. What is the best way to send it to you?

Dod

4 minutes ago, Dodram said:

Hi David

Yes, I have the electronic version. What is the best way to send it to you?

Dod

I just sent you a message through the Forum, but I've sent my email if it exceeds the file size limit.