Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching John Charles Parker 33467

Spannerz

The 'family record' in post #8 gives quite a tale of a severe wound. Not one that one would normally associate with sufficient recovery to be re-joining unit at a later date and discharged Class Z.

What  I meant was that a wound of that nature would normally be associated with a discharge due to the injury and the award of a Silver War Badge. Wasn't suggesting he did have one.

TEW

The pension award in the service record is for his "GSW back" (presumably the October 1918 wound since the description matches). His disability was classified as 20%. He was awarded a weekly pension of 12s 8d for 28 weeks from 3 Sep 1919 to be reviewed at the end of that period.

If we are trying to fit this to the family history then we could interpret "back" to cover the hip as well at a push. I don't know medically where the back stops and the leg starts!

Steve.

He has a pension card on the Fold3 sub-site of Ancestry - this may have further information:

Ancestry link to Fold3 record

Steve.

17 hours ago, Stebie9173 said:

The pension award in the service record is for his "GSW back" (presumably the October 1918 wound since the description matches). His disability was classified as 20%. He was awarded a weekly pension of 12s 8d for 28 weeks from 3 Sep 1919 to be reviewed at the end of that period.

If we are trying to fit this to the family history then we could interpret "back" to cover the hip as well at a push. I don't know medically where the back stops and the leg starts!

Steve.

I believe the information given by everybody on here fits in to the letter I have and makes it clearer. The mists of time had muddied the waters somewhat and the letter was valuable to use, this additional information helps me rewrite the letter and family history more accurately. I really do appreciate all you help. If any digs anything else up it would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...