Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boomerang Bomb

RussT

• Admin

Came across this curiosity in a war diary for Special Companies RE.

Anyone know much about it?

Not sure I would be keen on a bomb designed to come back at me once thrown !

Russ

Boomerang Bomb.JPG

Maybe it was designed for Australian troops with the same attitude as the No. 15 "cricket ball" grenade. All British lads will know how to throw a cricket ball so all Aussies will know how to throw boomerang. 

Seriously though, thanks for posting and hopefully someone can enlighten us. 

To quote a song: "my boomerang won't come back." 

Reply: "thank god for that!" 

According to the South Highland News APRIL 9 2015

https://www.southernhighlandnews.com.au/story/2992498/boomerang-grenades-struth-with-david-ellis/

Dave

DON'T return to sender? The bizarre Russell Boomerang Grenade proposed for the Australian Army in World War I. Photo: Roderick Eime

r0_0_3648_2432_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg.8acd2a88b188ee417efddb2270910839.jpg

I think with the weight of it they were hoping it would have run out of aerodynamic lift over the enemy before deciding to come back.

What next an exploding digiridoo?

Dave

The metal boomerang bomb was invented by Mr G V Russell a Melbourne engineer. 

Tested in 1915 and due to inconsistent results tests extended into 1916. It contained 3 ozs of basting gelignite and was set off by a length of Bickford fuze and a detonator.

It was rejected by Lt Colonel R Law, who ran the Australian Grenade Training School as being to 'erratic and uncertain in flight for military purposes'.

A page is devoted to it in Rick Landers book 'Grenade'.

Edited by Gunner Bailey

• Admin

Thank for the feedback and background information.

For future reference and just in case anyone wants to follow this line up, the War Diary with the sketch I posted is given below:

The sketch appears as an Appendix to the May 1917 section of the diary. Looking through the diary for that month and beyond provides these references to this bomb, which I've transcribed below:

Heily, 13/04/1917: Major Woodgate, RTO Amiens, who has designed new bomb, visited these Headquarters under instructions from Headquarters Fourth Army and discussed the matter with Major Sanders and Lieut. N K Thomson MC, Workshop Officer.

Heily, 14/04/1917: Major Sanders visited Bombing School with RTO Amiens in connection with his new bomb.

Heily, 04/05/1917: Major Sanders, Major Woodgate (RTO Amiens) and Lt W Burt visited Fourth Army Headquarters re demonstration with new bombs designed by Major Woodgate. Sketch of bomb attached (A).

Heily, 09/05/1917: Major Sanders & Lt Thomson MC visited XV Corps school to witness demonstration in the uses of new boomerang bomb invented by Major Woodgate, RTO Amiens. The bomb was considered to be very satisfactory and several dummies were retained by Commandant XV Corp School for further tests. Range obtained was 100 yards.

Heily, 24/05/1917: Major Sanders and Major Woodgate, RTO Amiens, proceeded to XV Corps Headquarters to give demonstration with boomerang bombs to GOC Fourth Army & GOC XV Corps.

Heily, 08/06/1917: Lt W Burt proceeded to Fourth Army Workshop with Major Woodgate, RTO, to arrange for the making of practice boomerang bombs.

So, "interesting" that it mentions it was invented by Major Woodgate !

Regards

Russ

Boomerang Bomb - Ref.JPG

It looks like Major Woodgate had the idea in parallel with Mr Russell and Woodgate's boomerang was wooden as opposed to the all metal Russell version.

Normally ideas from the field were tested by the Royal Engineers Experimental Section at St Omer, but I can't see evidence of them testing a boomerang grenade but they may have.

Interestingly although Lt Col Law rejected the Russell Grenade, it does appear in the Australian Imperial Forces training booklet "Grenades and their Uses" written by Lt Col Law, It is described by Law as being invented by Russel-Sutton (note one l in Russell).

Copy of the diagram in the booklet below,

SSCN4322.JPG.95679d6d2c75dc4fcb485d25746977b9.JPG

Edited by Gunner Bailey

• 6 months later...

I'm a boomerang enthusiast and stumbled by accident on this forum. I'm doing research on the early boomerang history and I'm writting a book about it. One chapter will go about boomerang inspired inventions and the Russell boomerang grenade is one of them.

I have no access to the pamphlet from Law or Richard Landers book. Can anyone provide me with a copy of the pages on this grenade? Illustrations in not too low resolution would also be appreciated.

I was not aware on a wooden boomerang bomb by Woodgate. I would also like to add this in my book. Where can I find the above drawing in higher resolution?

Garrett Victor Russell according a newspaper, was sent to America and seemed to have been offered a sum of 150.000 dollars by the Grenade Co. of America. He had to return the money because there was no patent applied. At Sandy Hook he acted as a instructor in grenade throwing. He was the only foreigner to be allowed without a pass. According Law trials were made in 1916, but the first trial were made in 1915 in the presence of Colonel Dangar. 

Here is more information and better illustrations; https://www.aucklandmuseum.com/collections-research/collections/record/am_humanhistory-object-787617

In 1889 there was another invention based on the boomerang principle, called the boomerang bullet. Maybe interesting to the people here.

Anyone who wishes to contact me: arvorealt@gmail.com

Thank you!

Harold

43 minutes ago, hightree said:

I have no access to the pamphlet from Law or Richard Landers book. Can anyone provide me with a copy of the pages on this grenade? Illustrations in not too low resolution would also be appreciated.

I was not aware on a wooden boomerang bomb by Woodgate. I would also like to add this in my book. Where can I find the above drawing in higher resolution?

Thank you!

Harold

Hi Harold

I photographed a page of an Australian Training manual I have. I will send you a better copy by email.

John

Hightree -  herewith a couple of pages from the file in the Melbourne Archives. Is this stuff of any interest?

RSB_3.jpg

RSB_4.jpg

Edited by 14276265

I found the diary papers on Woodgate with the info Russ provided, thanks for this detailed info!

Can anybody tell what H.E. means in "cavity for H.E. & fragments"? E must stand for explosives but I don't know where the "H" stands for.

I'm curious on Australian Trainings Manual from John.

It seems that Mr. Russell had a lot of misfortune with his invention. I'm trying to figure how it went on in the USA, maybe there are some archives there. 

Edited by hightree

12 minutes ago, hightree said:

Can anybody tell what H.E. means in "cavity for H.E. & fragments"? E must stand for explosives but I don't know where the "H" stands for.

I would presume "H" = "High" as in High Explosives [HE] i.e. those that detonate rapidly

:-) M

H.E. is usually HIGH EXPLOSIVE

Which I believe has to do with the relative speed with which it detonates?

Chris

Ha Snap!

Edited by 4thGordons

Thank you, yes probably high explosives. Any idea to how it would detonate? I see 2 chambers, no fuse like with the Russell grenade, which was really an extra besides the detonator.  I wonder if there's a patent paper in the UK, but maybe it did not pass the experimental phase and there isn't none.

Boomerang diagram and notes posted as promised (by PM).

Thanks John! I can understand Law's reaction. Boomerang shaped grenades probably were more suitable for dexterous throwers. One of the first trial on July 1915, Colonel Dangar was very impressed but they had help from Harvey Sutton who was an expert boomerang thrower. I can imagine half year later when soldiers tried with the dummies without a proper instruction it would proof rather difficult as Law said. It's not only aerodynamics which are applied to boomerangs but gyroscopic precession is a second mayor factor. With a heavy and rather small object you would need to give it a lot spin which would be difficult. These boomerang grenades were thrown low and vertical, towards the end of the inward journey it would gain height, it would make a tendacy to curve like a normal boomerang, but losing a lot spin and because of the weight it drops down quickly. Just like in the illustration from the patent paper below. Nevertheless quite ingenious to make it land in a trench from 100 yards distance or more. 

russel grenade.jpg

Edited by hightree

3 hours ago, hightree said:

Can anybody tell what H.E. means in "cavity for H.E. & fragments"? 

Fragments

There was a school of thought that you could add fragments inside a grenade mixed in with the explosives.

William Mills experimented with grenades that had either resin pellets, aluminium pellets or 'steel slugs' inside them. I take steel slugs to be metal rod cut into short pieces, but am happy to be corrected on that. In a couple of cases he made the grenade bodies of aluminium which reduced the weight by 50% allowing for a heavier filling.

It's quite possible the boomerang grenade had similar experiments conducted.

John

Edited by Gunner Bailey

1 hour ago, Gunner Bailey said:

Fragments

There was a school of thought that you could add fragments inside a grenade mixed in with the explosives.

William Mills experimented with grenades that had either resin pellets, aluminium pellets or 'steel slugs' inside them. I take steel slugs to be metal rod cut into short pieces, but am happy to be corrected on that. In a couple of cases he made the grenade bodies of aluminium which reduced the weight by 50% allowing for a heavier filling.

It's quite possible the boomerang grenade had similar experiments conducted.

John

Yes exactly, when you read the patent paper above it says that pellets of lead or hard metal can be put inside the Russell grenade.

Herewith copy of blueprint of the grenade and more from Russell-Sutton Co. (courtesy Melbourne Archives) - fragments to create a "shrapnel" effect are shown:

RSB_1.jpg

RSB_2_1.jpg

Edited by 14276265

Amazing stuff Tom! What strikes me is that the flight path on the blue print is altered from the original blueprint/patent paper, to show how the shrapnel could be effective at a greater height. Russell pulling everything out of the closet to convince how versatile his grenade could be.

Of course this can only be done with the fuse and would require perfect timing. The problem with the Russell-Sutton grenade is that there is too much weight in the center. More weight in the center with boomerangs would make it layover sooner. Laying over sooner means that the grenade would mount up in the sky  earlier and shortening the range. Therefore like said in the patent paper, it needs a quite vertical throw, so that a bigger range is garanteed and that after it loses spin, it would slowly layover and then go into a horizontal plane and rise in the sky. Being really heavy with relative short arms the boomerang grenade would curve a bit and then drop how is shown in the blueprint/patent paper. There also lies the problem. If soldiers would all throw a bit differently, the flightpath would be much different and the place were it would land less predictable. This is what Law realized I guess. 

I found yet another patent paper that Russell filed on 24th February 1916 with the Canadian Patent Office. This is a month after the dismissal of Russel's appeal. I could not find anything on his American adventure but will look further.

Here's the link to the paper:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924062416783&view=1up&seq=881

Edited by hightree

• 2 years later...

Hello. 
Traying to make 3D printed replica. 

What do you think?
MODEL is finished  

Regards

Jaroslav

IMG_3626.png

IMG_3627.png