Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Isolation Showcase!

Cymro

I live in Vienna so we're locked down tighter than a welder's rivet. Cattle-prodding the teenagers into at least pretending to do some school work is obviously a fab way to get through the day, but it also means that for the forseeable I'm locked in in close proximity to my collection. Suspect some members here will be self-isolating before too long so thought I'd start a thread putting up some pieces I've had buried in boxes for too long. Perhaps others could do the same as we all go slowly out of our minds.

Here's a rather lovely Wolseley helmet worn by a Pte Vickery of the RE Wireless Section in Dar es Salaam. 

Cheers!

J

Dar5.jpg

Dar4.jpg

Dar3.jpg

Dar1.jpg

Dar2.jpg

Very nice Mr S! Some history attached to that...

ps I've got a publisher for my bio of Henry Coombe-Tennant - Y Lolfa, 100,000 words, 2021 publication. DEEE-LIGHTED! 

Bernard

Wow what a stunning helmet -

I will be doing the same with my medal collection, collating all the research I have done on individuals and actually writing it down!

I have to admit, after the bushfire season I could do with 2 weeks at home whilst this madness goes on. 

Cheers

1 hour ago, Grovetown said:

Nice one Jon - great object.

Bet that flash is as rare as anything and worth a Wolseley in its own right.

Cheers,

GT.

Hi GT,

Thanks yes, a rare bit of cloth I would think. I’ve not seen another. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am just adding to Jon's post having spent first full weekend in lock down. As we are all thinking of our front line medical staff a few medical related items from the front line 102 years ago.

The last picture shows three items all related to an unidentified Infantry Stretcher Bearer

Enjoy (I hope) and all keep safe 

Mark

IMG_1675.JPG

IMG_1676.JPG

IMG_1677.JPG

IMG_1678.JPG

IMG_1679.JPG

IMG_1680.JPG

IMG_1681.JPG

IMG_1682.JPG

IMG_1683.JPG

IMG_1684.JPG

IMG_1685.JPG

IMG_1686.JPG

Superb! What a wonderful collection! 

Thank you for sharing mark.

Chris

7 hours ago, mark holden said:

I am just adding to Jon's post having spent first full weekend in lock down. As we are all thinking of our front line medical staff a few medical related items from the front line 102 years ago.

The last picture shows three items all related to an unidentified Infantry Stretcher Bearer

Enjoy (I hope) and all keep safe 

Mark

IMG_1675.JPG

IMG_1676.JPG

Lovely group Mark - and not a dreaded John Bell & Croydon Feb 1916 in sight!

Cheers,

GT.

Great displays, Thanks all....hope to see more as the lockdown continues.

Dave.

Tunic worn by a Lance-Corporal in the 18th Kings Liverpool Regiment, 66th Division. This battalion started out as the 2nd Liverpool Pals but in 1917 was renamed the Lancashire Hussars dismounted yeomanry battalion. It's not clear whether they kept this title after being reduced to cadre and reformed in summer 1918, when they joined the reorganised 66th Division. The new 18th battalion comprised its own cadre, that of the 19th or third Pals battalion, and the entire 14th battalion.

The 18th Kings Liverpool was engaged at Cambrai on 8-9 October 1918, in the pursuit to the Selle, the battle of the Selle, and Le Cateau. Their final action was at Marbaix on 8 November 1918, where they lost 13 men and 1 officer killed. 3 men subsequently died of wounds. The men who were killed in this action are buried at Dourlers Communal Cemetery Extension.

20190827_102534.jpg

20190827_102601.jpg

What a superb jacket. It ticks all the collector boxes. Very nice to see the 66th Div sign in place. 

thanks WF

Mark

Now I am getting collector envy! Superb WF.

Wonderful collection of Field Dressings Mark. I was lucky enough to get a SB Armband with done 38th Div pieces many moons ago. I’ll post it up with some other pieces tomorrow.

WF - the jacket is a stormer. The boots too. Lovely to see both of them.

Isolation means plenty of time for sorting Shoulder Titles; and framing.

shoulder titles X (2).jpg

Samuel Parker Little. Pte. 26558. 16th Notts + Derby.

Enlisted 28/5/15 - Discharged 14/12/17.  Aged 47.  SWB. No. 284414.

little S.P.  N+Derby.jpg

Little N+Derby.jpg

Edited by GWF1967

Funnily enough, I've been doing exactly the same over the last few days. Luckily I had bought all the material I needed before the lock down and just needed the time. So I've done it!  An old gent in my local market in South Wales giving me a T/RHA/GLAMORGAN 40 years ago arguably started me in this hobby and last year I got the last for my collection. Still some additions, corrections and substitutions to do before framing, but here's what's there so far...

Badge1.jpg

Badge2.jpg

Badge3.jpg

Badge4.jpg

Badge5.jpg

Badge7.jpg

Badge10.jpg

Edited by Cymro

40 minutes ago, Cymro said:

Funnily enough, I've been doing exactly the same over the last few days. Luckily I had bought all the material I needed before the lock down and just needed the time. So I've done it!  -  Still some additions, corrections and substitutions to do before framing, but here's what's there so far...

Wow.  A very impressive collection of brassware  Cymro. 

Edited by GWF1967

I will add to the plaudits very impressive indeed.  I wish I was as organised as Cymro in displaying my items. Congratulations on a very impressive display.

Regards

Mark

10 hours ago, Cymro said:

but here's what's there so far...

Absolutely superb collection!

And wonderfully displayed, thank you for sharing.

What badges do you need for completion?

Chris

Hi Chris, the territorial shoulder title collection is complete. That was the gratifying thing that happened last year. T/RFA/ Flintshire is missing but that unit disappeared before the First World War so whilst I'd love to have one it doesn't really fall within scope.

Its the cloth collection that needs to be expanded, and in many ways its how long is a piece of string, as so many examples existed, and some remain un-recorded. The only thing one could hope for in that regard is to try and pic up pieces when they do appear, whether they're on uniform or not!  Here are some of the other Welsh cloth pieces in my collection.

Best Wishes

Jon

Welsh WW1 Cloth.jpg

good morning,

very nice presentation.
Congratulations.

Kind regards

Michel

Jon,

Lovely cloth items the Yeomanry slip ons are particularly hard to find. Are the white on red SWB and MONMOUTHSHIRE Pre WW1?

Regards

Mark