Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Replica Death Plaques

Derek Robertson

Faith in your fellow human beings-----you are so wrong Harry.

Sorry to stick my nose in here, but yes I agree Nigel that people can be dishonest. I tend to believe what a person says is true until proven otherwise. How else do we begin to develop trust? or make friends? or find a partner? It's worth the risk even though one does feel rather hurt when one's initial impressions don't stand up.

Robbie :rolleyes::unsure:

Thank you for your PM Nigel,though quite why you cannot see the reasoning behind my post I dont know,I dont doubt that some bright Spark has the wherewithall to produce Plaques Medals or whatever,It is in my opinion,wether it would be worth their while{unless they were considering producing in Bulk as I suggested},how many people they could hope to fool,you yourself state you have no expertise in these items yet decry me for stating mine,as for suggesting in your PM that I might be Bedfellows with the Fakers we are entering the realms of wildest fantasy,or is it just my turn???,As I stated RIGHT @ the beginning of this thread & on numerous other Posts of similar vein,I abhor ALL Copies,Replicas,Fakes,Call them what you will,[My personal opinion is that one might as well have a selection of Milk Bottle Tops in place of them,for what they are worth}In my opinion,& I reiterate it is just MY opinion,they have no place in any Collection or indeed in circulation,I consider it a very sad day that they were ever allowed to be produced,a recent occurrence,it used to be illegal to produce such items,something on which I have incurred the Wrath of Others previously for being so opinionated,but something that I believe.

We are I believe singing from the same Hymn Sheet ,Nigel,the Rhetoric is beginning to Cloud,lets just agree to differ

as for suggesting in your PM that I might be Bedfellows with the Fakers we are entering the realms of wildest fantasy,

Harry that was an obvious joke, thats what the ;) was for after it, strange that you want to make a point of that and make it public, Why?????????

Nigel,Oh Nigel,

"Kamerad~Kamerad~Nich Schisshen"

I despair mate,I have no axes to grind, I come on here to escape the vagaries of a Hum Drum Daily Existence,to enjoy the Contributions of my Fellow Forum playmates,to discuss ,offer opinions & advice where I can,based on my own life long {so far} experience of Medal & Militaria Collecting, & Research which I have enjoyed without so far without any intrusions by Megalomaniac Fakers,I dont expect to receive,or reciprocate in implication of Forum Members ethics,however lighthearted they may feel it be,I didnt ask you to PM me ,my reply on forum was polite & factual,if you didnt want feedback on it you should perhaps count to ten before sending such messages in future,I made it public because I have nothing to hide,I just want a quiet life I dont in any of my postings say you are wrong,I dont do that,All I do is give my opinion,the readers are quite capable of drawing their own ,they do not need to be told who is right & who is wrong,everyone is entitled to an opinion,God it would be a dull old place if we all nodded in agreement all the time .God Bless :rolleyes:

In respect of my fellow members I will not be further responding on this thread,I have said all I want to on this subject.

Harry/Nigel

Sitting on the sidelines here, I seems to me that you are both saying roughly the same thing.

Derek originally posted a warning that some dodgy material might be about to hit the market place.

You've both agreed that fakers (who set out to deceive) are scumbags. You've both said something along the lines that experienced, knowledgable people won't be fooled, but others might be. You've both said that there's nothing wrong with an up-front repro (that doesnt pretend it's anything other than that).

At least I think you're agreeing :(

Can't we just hope that the info that came Derek's way is wrong.

John

I wasnt argueing John, all i did was point something out, perhaps i know more but cant print. Ah well why should i care i dont even collect stuff.

Still dont understand about the pm though, there was nothing wrong in it, and if someone wanted to make a point of receiving a pm, i dont understand why they didnt print the whole sentance instead of a small piece which gave a completely wrong impression, i'm off to bed, lifes too short.

post-23-1108506888.gif

I imagine that there are enough oldtimers here on the forum who can remember years ago when some enterprising lads created quite a stir by cranking out Light Brigade medals with a machine they had invented to do a good job of naming Crimea medals. They were apprehended eventually I think, although I can't recall their punishment.

The two plaques I bought on E-Bay arrived today. The first thing I did was compare them to an original in my collection, this is what I noticed:

1. They are the same diameter.

2. They are the same thickness.

3. They are much lighter than the original.

I will post a picture of an original and a copy so you can judge for yourselves in the next few days.

I will post a picture of an original and a copy so you can judge for yourselves in the next few days.

OK, a few days later than expected but judge for yourselves.

First picture, a side-by-side comparison (real one on the right, obviously!)

If you hold one plaque in either hand then you can tell the difference, the original is much lighter (as Will can confirm).

Also, the original one shown has been polished (not by me) which shows when compared to the replica. However, I have also compared it with an unpolished example and it matches that quite well for tone etc.

All in all, I am very pleased with both plaques I bought :)

If you hold one plaque in either hand then you can tell the difference, the original is much lighter (as Will can confirm).

Lee tells the truth.............He was kind enough to show me when I was around his house at the beginning of the week