Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Found last week walking in France think a belt buckle morphine etc

arantxa

I have walked fields in France and Flanders though rarely across the centre of a field, I tend to stick to the edges of fields regardless of crops or not. After all it is not my land and whilst my ancestors may have fought in these fields I don't equate that with the rite to trample all over somebody elses livelihood  . It isn't surprising to me that some farmers won't allow visitors to access features (bunkers etc) that are on their farm, they are probably heartily sick of inconsiderate battlefield tourists.

End of rant !

Simon

15 hours ago, arantxa said:

Petwes having had a house on the battlefields for over 20 years i can assure you whats live and whats not  and with that sort of language you certainly would not be a Lt Col more like a havildar

I assume from your statement above that you are explosive ordnance disposal trained.

Edited by mark holden

I don’t just walk across the middle of fields that would be very un civilized what I would recommend to any one is to find who owns the land and go and see them ...my French is not great but I make the effort and I’ve never had any one say I couldn’t walk on there fields and I’ve made a lot of friends ......as in life fortune favors the brave .....take them some biscuits or beer..... people love being asked questions etc the amount of bunkers etc I’ve been  shown by land owners is many and has resulted in me taking bbc tv crews over there  

I would recommend the above in all walks of life ....if you read a lot then you want to visit these places whether it’s ww1 battles or monuments in Central America 

To Marco

as you may have seen from my other links I do a lot of talks at school and show items for youngsters to get an interest history should be alive and to learn from ; not just the preserve of people who sit in chairs and do nothing about it 

And to Marc Holden yes I was in the forces what regiment were you in  

Me I just sit in my armchair :)

Too bad you do not teach the kids "irony". You should know what a posting like yours turns into. As member #8 I have seen hundreds come by. What will happen next is that somone will call you insensitive because his great great grandfather died in pain because they ran out of morphine.

Edited by Marco

• DavidOwen locked this topic