Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Found last week walking in France think a belt buckle morphine etc

arantxa

And hundreds of rounds I’d be interested to know any ones guesses on the shaped piece of metal 

thanks 

8401A0C3-A91F-4081-B372-805F08E7B0B4.jpeg

740B0537-6F57-4301-88B9-DA2B9F25BE24.jpeg

04808A16-2AE7-4326-8AFB-6A1329CD49E0.jpeg

9C0D8AF8-DB7C-4A8F-AB3A-8C351E5276C2.jpeg

I like the little hammer style "Friction tubes".
Obviously, you were in an area where larger calibre Artillery pieces were positioned and fired.

Sepoy

53 minutes ago, Sepoy said:

I like the little hammer style "Friction tubes".
Obviously, you were in an area where larger calibre Artillery pieces were positioned and fired.

Sepoy

Excuse my ignorance but what were Friction tubes for?

Yes left the water bottles for some one else to see

The GWF cannot permit, host or  give advice on the safety  of munitions. Any such posts will be removed. If anyone is in doubt about whether a potentially explosive item is safe they should seek advice from the appropriate authorities.

As we're mentioning explosives and the obvious safety issues, I'd also point out the above from the forum rules.

Craig

Petwes having had a house on the battlefields for over 20 years i can assure you whats live and whats not  and with that sort of language you certainly would not be a Lt Col more like a havildar

No  he  wasnt he made a statement  about blowing your fingers off...when an item wasnt live we are not talking about  Craig  which i agree with but Petwes..who ever that is 

And i dont think where you live is immaterial..for example if you live in Dublin I would presume you would know a lot more about the Dublin fusilers than i do living in the South of the England..so it therfore follows if you see a lot of ordnance every year and speak to the  B

Bomb disposal teams you will have a better idea on these things than some one who lives in Milton Keynes....its just common sense 

7 minutes ago, arantxa said:

No  he  wasnt he made a statement  about blowing your fingers off...when an item wasnt live we are not talking about  Craig  which i agree with but Petwes..who ever that is 

My mistake.

5 minutes ago, arantxa said:

And i dont think where you live is immaterial..for example if you live in Dublin I would presume you would know a lot more about the Dublin fusilers than i do living in the South of the England..so it therfore follows if you see a lot of ordnance every year and speak to the  B

Bomb disposal teams you will have a better idea on these things than some one who lives in Milton Keynes....its just common sense 

I wouldn't presume. I learn a lot from this forum.

• Admin
3 hours ago, stripeyman said:

Where were you when finding these items ? France is big place.....

Looks like the Portuguese cemetery at La Bombe in the background 

Craig

I wasn't giving advice about the status of the safety of this device in particular. I was simply stating that picking things up, regardless of your level of experience, whether you think you do or don't know what they are, is not a good idea. From a personal point of view I have an idea of what a T-Tube was intended to do, and would leave well alone.. Unfortunately they are a pretty looking thing.

I apologise for breaking forum rules and the forceful way I expressed myself.

I would rather do that than have someone be injured following other's examples. 

I would also like to apologise to arantaxa if the deleted comment was taken personally.

If I was a Havildar and a Lt Col walked up to me holding a piece of UXO I might well forget myself and call him an idiot (Sir)!

Peter

A google of "friction tubes" would give a more direct answer to the original question.

Thank you for your replys and i appreciate what you said Craig....yes i have a house up at Neuve Chapelle ....I have an awful lot of what my wife calls junk in the garden......and luckily I know all the farmers very well..so they ring me when they have found things  

Just for clarification - My comment was not aimed at anyone in particular. it's just a standard comment made to any posts that mention handling of explosives.

Craig

My family are from Chippenham Michelle Young..I have a lot of chippenham medals and bits ww1 and a rare 1914 war service Nestle badge ..i interviewed many years ago a lot of Chippenham vets

To every one I did not mean to sound Gruff...put it down to my boarding days at Winchester my wife tells me it pre-pared me for the Colonial service in 1870

Bonsoir......no one seems to have mentioned that there is evidence of growing crops in some of the images shown. Field walking on sown fields is interdit. A clear indication of a marked lack of respect for the landowner/ farmer don't you agree?. This sort of behaviour sadly is on the increase  by a minority but has an impact on the greater majority who show respect and restraint and confine their yomping to unsown fields. 

agreed

Simon