Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Skipman

I have a number of questions regarding the log book of H.M.S. Stephen Furness some of which may be general to all log books. My first question is regarding an entry, and hope to find out what it means.

This entry is from the log book of the Armed Boarding Crusier H.M.S. Stephen Furness, 20th of June, 1916  "3.47 p.m. Soyatoi ??? ?? the south = 3' dist"

The term "Soyatoi"? under Course and Distance made good. What is this?

Mike

Stephen Furness log question 1.PNG

Stephen Furness log question 2.PNG

14 minutes ago, Skipman said:

"3.47 p.m. Soyatoi ??? ?? the south = 3' dist"

I think this is the name of a lighthouse ("Lt Hse") followed by 3 miles distant  ("3' dist.")

Under Course and Distance made good = "Various [courses - ship was manoeuvring] 174 1/2 [nautical miles]"

Under True Bearing and Distance = "Same lighthouse [Lt Hse] bearing south 64 West at 21 nautical miles distant"

I have no idea what the name of the lighthouse is - what part of the world are we in 20 Jun 1916?

Edited by horatio2

Just now, KizmeRD said:

It's the name of the lighthouse.

Ah, excellent thank you. I thought it was perhaps another ship in the squadron but that didn't make much sense. That's great

Mike

1 minute ago, horatio2 said:

I think this is the name of a lighthouse ("Lt Hse") followed by 3 miles distant  ("3' dist.")

Under Course and Distance made good = "Various [courses - ship was manoeuvring] 174 1/2 [nautical miles]"

Under True Bearing and Distance = "Same lighthouse [Lt Hse] bearing south 64 West at 21 nautical miles distant"

I have no idea what the name of the lighthouse is - what part of the world are we in 20/ un 1916?

Thank you horatio2

Sorry, will post the whole page that's maybe a better plan.

Mike

This entry from the same date. The left column is hours 1 am, 2 am etc. Re the entries on the right (in this case "Rounds correct"  and "Exercised Gun crews") The column on the left is hours (in this example 1 am 2 am and 3 am. As the entry "Exercised guns crew" does this mean they 'exercised guns crew at 3 am?

Also what does "Rounds correct" mean?

Mike

Stephen Furness log question 3.PNG

1 minute ago, horatio2 said:

It is Svyatoy Nos light SE of Murmansk.

"Rounds" = inspections of parts of ship and messdecks by an officer.

Many thanks. I'm a complete beginner regarding naval matters and much appreciate all expert help.

Mike

Just now, horatio2 said:

Yes.  Probably at dawn in that latitude in mid-summer.

Many thanks again. I was unsure if the entry corresponded exactly with the time suggested.

Mike

If I may bother you for one more at the moment. What do the abbreviations in the "Weather" column mean, and could anyone point me to a complete list of such.

Mike

Stephen Furness log question 4 weather.PNG

Only a suggestion...

bc - broken cloud

oc - overcast

o.cu - obscured cumulus (over 50 percent cloud coverage)

Edited by KizmeRD

Thanks for the link - I had it in the back of my mind that 'weather' in this case related more to cloud cover, but it's good to see proper confirmation.

1 hour ago, Skipman said:

What do the abbreviations in the "Weather" column mean, and could anyone point me to a complete list of such.

Code is laid down in the front of the ship's log. See here for an example:-  "Letters to denote the State of the Weather"

0004_0.jpg

Thanks again horatio2 I put off researching this sailor as I knew so little about it and to be honest it (forgive expression) 'didn't float my boat' but now am really finf=ding it all exremely interesting.

Mike

What is this entry at 9.30 It looks like "Divisions and prayers"? 

Hands working coal from hold to bunkers.

Mike

Forum Q  1.PNG

Edited by Skipman

Correct "Divisions and prayers": hands musted by divisions [parts of ship] on the upper deck for inspection and a short service conducted by the captain or chaplain. Usually on a Sunday forenoon.

6 hours ago, horatio2 said:

Correct "Divisions and prayers": hands musted by divisions [parts of ship] on the upper deck for inspection and a short service conducted by the captain or chaplain. Usually on a Sunday forenoon.

Excellent, thanks as ever horatio2

Mike

I cannot make out the entry for the Stephen Furness 9-11 April 1917  "From Liverpool to  Swalald ????" I think they went to this place for coaling. Possibly Norway but not sure. Any ideas?

Mike

temp Forum Q 1.PNG

Svalbard? (Spitsbergen).

Edit - no, scrub that. It's Swa-...

Edited by seaJane