Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial trees WW1

armypal

There is nothing on the tree about the circumstances of his death or wether he was kia, dow, died of illness etc.

These villages were hit hard I know, many from our local regiment were killed at the Battle of the Boars Head in June 1916.

Travers

Just to pick up on the good work by Travers...and equally applicable to the stuff I posted, several sites are suggesting that Harling Hero was identified as early as 1914, if it was actually named Harling Hero at that time it would 'probably' pre-date both Burkett and Pattinson's service abroad...on the other hand it could have course been identified in 1914 but named at a later date.

Thanks Travers61

I'm going to look in the local paper to see if I can find out anymore information about him.Sometimes unfortunately the Ancestry website doesn't always give us the information we hope for!

Thanks sadbrewer

It's confusing about the naming of the apple. All I could find was that the variety was sold commercially by Daniel's Brothers nursery in Norwich. I don't think their records exist  unfortunately. 

It is possible that the variety wasn't named until later, as you said, is a possibility. There is a local organisation which, I'll contact. They have a large orchard where they grow local varieties to stop them go out of existence. With it being Armistice Day this week I'd like to link the  "Harling  Hero" with C.S.M.Pattinson.

Regards 

Armypal 

Hi Travers 61 and sadbrewer

Just had a quick look in the local paper and found that both Henry and his brother Gus, also on the 4th Norfolk's were reported as 'missing' in the May 18th edition. Other Harling men were also reported 'missing '.

Regards

Armypal