Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial trees WW1

armypal

Earlier there was a post about a type of Apple tree called ' Harling Hero'.

Is there more information  about this please

12 minutes ago, armypal said:

Earlier there was a post about a type of Apple tree called ' Harling Hero'.

Is there more information  about this please

Here's the earlier thread. 

The apple Harling Hero was raised or found by a Frank Claxton at East Harling near 

Attleborough, in 1914 later marketed by Daniel Bros nurserymen in 1920, I can’t find any reference to it being named after a local soldier.

info from fruitid.

Den

Edited by TTracer44

Thankyou Tracer for your very  prompt reply and the information. 

I first read about the subject in a post from 20th Division of December 2018, where he mentioned the Apple variety and the fact that it was possibly named by the grower who discovered it for his son in law whose name was on the local War Memorial in East Harling. 

I have carried out a considerable amount of research into local soldier's and am hoping to include their stories in my forthcoming book.It is always good to be able to link them to something tangible. 

As a slightly different thread ....appologies if I am pushing in..but this made me wonder if there are any trees still growing in Gt. Britain that were planted in memory of fallen soldiers. 

The War Memorial Park in Coventry is full of them, commemorating soldiers from WW1 onwards, and also includes the names of  civilians killed in air raids. Most are purple  and green beeches and there is plaque at the foot of each tree giving details.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Thanks Terry_Reeves and Steviebullsatatter

Your reply was  very interesting. 

It would be good if all the 'sites where there are ' Memorial trees' could be mapped and displayed as s photo.

Wonder if the Woodland  trust would be interested? 

Edited by armypal
Missed a receipient and spelling

• 2 weeks later...

Some years ago I wrote War Memorial Park and at some point since that I was contacted by various people who had a tree that was grown from an oak from Verdun, I thought Coventry was the only one I was wrong. After the City's War memorial had been unveiled by the late Field Marshall Earl Haig on the 8th October 1927, the Cenotaph placed in Spencer Park was removed.  For eight years it served as symbol of the remembrance and regard of the ex-service men for their comrades, and it was the goal of many pilgrimages and tributes. It was thought appropriate by the Council to mark the spot it occupied by the planting of a memorial tree. The tree selected was an oak, grown from an acorn gathered at Verdun after the repulse by the French of the great German attack in 1916. 

Thankyou for telling me more about Coventry, the original memorial and the Oak tree.

I've just remembered that on the way to my son and daughter in laws there is a Memorial Avenue as you approach a village near Chinnor in Oxfordshire. 

On 22/01/2020 at 06:25, Steviebullsatatter said:

As a slightly different thread ....appologies if I am pushing in..but this made me wonder if there are any trees still growing in Gt. Britain that were planted in memory of fallen soldiers. 

There has been a real stink in Sheffield over a Council decision to cut down an avenue of trees planted to honour the memory of boys from a particular school...Google it, there's plenty of info.

On 22/01/2020 at 09:08, armypal said:

It would be good if all the 'sites where there are ' Memorial trees' could be mapped and displayed as s photo.

That's a good idea, feel like taking it up?

-

Near Nottingham: An avenue of 184 Lombardy poplar trees was planted by the father of Jesse Hind at the now derelict Vimy Ridge Farm, near Kinoulton, in memory of his son and the officers and men of the 9th Battalion Sherwood Foresters who were killed at the Battle of the Somme.

https://secure.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/RollOfHonour/People/Details/22191

I've not been in a while, and am not sure if the trees were replaced.

On 06/02/2020 at 11:02, sadbrewer said:

There has been a real stink in Sheffield over a Council decision to cut down an avenue of trees planted to honour the memory of boys from a particular school...Google it, there's plenty of info.

Hello.

So sad to read about Sheffield council.

It might be good to remind them that as the trees constitute a " War Memorial " they are protected like any other War Memorial. 

Have the War Memorials trust been contacted.

Thanks Terry.

We need far more public awareness of the importance of protecting War Memorials and getting them recorded and listed.

• 1 year later...

Hello all.

Sometime ago I asked about the origins of an apple variety called 'Harling Hero' which was reputably named after his son in law by a Mr.Frank Claxton of East Harling Norfolk. 

Does anyone please have more data out who the son in law was?

Many thanks 

Armypal

9 hours ago, armypal said:

Hello all.

Sometime ago I asked about the origins of an apple variety called 'Harling Hero' which was reputably named after his son in law by a Mr.Frank Claxton of East Harling Norfolk. 

Many thanks 

Armypal

As a possible...Frank Wix Claxton, farmer of East Harling had three daughters...Edith Lilian, Lucy Garrard and Emily Mary.

Edit...Lucy dies in 1914, Edith marries Hubert Smalls b1902 after the War, Emily marries Edmund Burkett b1893 in 1926.

Both Edith and Emily are spinsters at the time of marriage...so  no husband killed in the war. Perhaps Edmund Burkett is the 'hero'....or possibly a fiance, which would be almost impossible to find.

Edited by sadbrewer

There is the beautiful Whipsnade Tree Cathedral to commemorate the fallen of the great war within spitting distance of Whipsnade Zoo.

23 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

As a possible...Frank Wix Claxton, farmer of East Harling had three daughters...Edith Lilian, Lucy Garrard and Emily Mary.

Edit...Lucy dies in 1914, Edith marries Hubert Smalls b1902 after the War, Emily marries Edmund Burkett b1893 in 1926.

Both Edith and Emily are spinsters at the time of marriage...so  no husband killed in the war. Perhaps Edmund Burkett is the 'hero'....or possibly a fiance, which would be almost impossible to find.

Hello all.

Many thanks 

Armypal

21 hours ago, maxi said:

There is the beautiful Whipsnade Tree Cathedral to commemorate the fallen of the great war within spitting distance of Whipsnade Zoo.

Hello Maxi.

Thank you for your reply.

What a lovely memorial.

Armypal

3 minutes ago, armypal said:

Hello all.

Many thanks 

Armypal

5 minutes ago, armypal said:

Hello all.

Many thanks 

Armypal

23 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

Thanks for  all the information sadbrewer. It was very kind of to research it for me and send such a quick reply. I'll have to look up the families and see if I  can find Edmund Burkett by some good chance or a reference to the tree and family in the local newspaper.

Regards Armypal

Here is another option with a connection to the East Harling War Memorial.  One of the websites that talk about the origins of Harling Hero gave Frank Claxton's occupation as Game Dealer.

Leading to this family on an ancestry public tree (usual caveat applies).

Ernest Frank CLAXTON (1863 - 1950) On the 1911 census he is a game dealer living at White Hart Street, East Harling & gives his name just as Frank.

Children:

Ida Kate Whitta Claxton (1888 - 1945) married 1909 at East Harling to Henry Robinson PATTINSON. Died 19th April 1917 Palestine, while serving as a C.S.M with the 4th Norfolks. He is listed on the East Harling War Memorial.

http://www.breckland-rollofhonour.org.uk/e_harling.html

Alice Maud Claxton (1890 - 1982) married Christopher William BOOTMAN (1890 - 1958) No war service mentioned for him.

Constance Mabel Claxton (born 1894 - died in Canada 1971) married Clarence Harold Pethick (born 1902 Canada) No war service mentioned for him.

Victor Frank Hubbard CLAXTON (1899 - 1981) Also a game dealer when called up to the R.G.A October 1916 as 120406 Gunner. In Nov 1916 father wrote to the army asking for his release. Served till Jan 1919 when address is Water Mill Farm, East Harling. Looks like home service only. 

Jack Whitta Claxton (1903 - 1991) No war service mentioned.

Travers

Edited by travers61

Thanks Travers for all the information that you've so kindly found and sent me. The wonders of 'Ancestry ' and the internet!

The whole "Gallipoli"  campaign in which the 4th Norfolk Regiment was involved, including many men from the East Harling and Diss area,was  seen as a tragic disaster. Those who survived the initial battles where so many of their comrades died, plus those lost through illness and went on to serve in Palestine were regarded as heroes. Even in the 1950's I can remember the talk about the "Dardenelles" and the losses among people in my village,   not that I understood as much as I do now.

So it is more than possible that the "Harling Hero" was C.S.M.Henry Robinson Pattinson.

I will have a look in the 'War Diaries' for the 4th Norfolks on the day he was killed. Given his rank he would have been in the thick of things and may well have been killed rescuing soldiers under his command.

I have papers for a local R A.M.C. soldier who managed to survive the campaign and who went in to serve on the Somme. He came home.

Thanks again. 

Armypal