Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualty Clearing Station 1st and 11th Lanc Fusiliers

EvanEvansLancs

On 18/01/2020 at 19:20, EvanEvansLancs said:

My grandfather Evan Thomas Evans 7658 of the 11th battalion and 1st battalion Lancashire Fusiliers, wrote down the following sequence of numbers; 16-17-13, and 10-1-14 (see attached photograph). I believe they refer to the casualty clearing stations/hospital numbers that my grandfather attended after being wounded firstly at Vimy Ridge (May 1916) with the 11th battalion, and secondly at Ypres or Passchendaele (January 1918) with the 1st battalion. He went to Edinburgh hospital on 29 May 1916, and was at Llandaff hospital, Cardiff between January and April 1918 before being discharged through disability in April 1918, due to his injuries.  Until recently I didn't realise what the numbers meant !  Please can someone help me with this. If anyone thinks I've misinterpreted the clearing station numbers here, and have got this all wrong then please let me know.

First wound

16 Le Trefort general hospital (or is it Treport ?)

17 Remy Sidings Clearing Station

13 Boulogne 

Second wound 

10 Remy Sidings Clearing Station   

1 Choques

14 Wimereaux general hospital (between Boulogne and Calais).  

Many thanks  

Dat - WW1 numbers.jpg

It is then likely he was transported on an Ambulance Train (perhaps the 31st) which ran between Remy and Boulogne although I cannot find him in the British Army Medical records on Find My Past

• 7 months later...
On 09/06/2023 at 10:32, ianshuter said:

It is then likely he was transported on an Ambulance Train (perhaps the 31st) which ran between Remy and Boulogne although I cannot find him in the British Army Medical records on Find My Past

Thanks