Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

91 Field Ambulance

Fergusa

91 Field Ambulance

Would value any diaries or information regarding the 91 Field Ambulance around 24 July 1915.

Are there any documents to uncover what their activities were and in particular what wounded they collected and where they took them to.

Alasdsir

• Admin

91st FA deployed to France in November 1915 as part of 32nd Division.

They were not an active FA before that date, so I'm not sure why you have a query relating to the wounded for July 1915 - can you expand a little on the background to your question and we shall try to help.

Regards

Russ

Judging by the attached casualty form, don't you mean July 24th 1917 not 1915? Your man doesn't appear to have enlisted until November 1916..

Edited by KernelPanic

Correct my mistake! I meant 24 July 1917 (Wounded in the Field) and Died 26 July 1917

Edited by Fergusa
My mistake wrong dates!

John,

Thanks! been to visit the grave with my father 100 years to the day he died
I have his and his Attestation Papers signed 14 Nov 1915

in just filling in the bits I do not have, such as

Troop ship used on 12 May 1917 to Harve (Le Harve I assume) disembarking 13 May 1917.

How they were transported to the front and where exactly they were deployed etc

no Diaries exist as far as I’m aware of that era for the 325th SB

Alasdair

also found 91st Field Ambulance was part of the 32 Division Royal Medical Corps

but where exactly did they take him on 24 July 1917 

and did he die on 26 July 1917 in the same place they took him?

90FA 91fa and 92FA were all in 32 Division. If you can find war diaries for any of them they may give info on each other and maybe maps.Troopship  can sometimes be found on Service Records. Another line might be finding the composition of 32 Div and seeing if any Infantry diaries are available. These may show locations of Aid Posts and FA's. 

Hi,

3 hours ago, Fergusa said:

also found 91st Field Ambulance was part of the 32 Division Royal Medical Corps

but where exactly did they take him on 24 July 1917 

and did he die on 26 July 1917 in the same place they took him?

From the ADMS 32 Division diary (ancestry link)...

image.png.ab302bd21addaf4096000c4bda1eba5a.png

91 FA diary for July 1917 starts here

Regards

Chris

I don't have the FA or ADMS diaries but I do have XV corps DDMS & 4th Army DMS. These offer something of an overview but as far as I can see 91FA was at De Groote Kwint Farm 20/7/17. Nothing suggests they moved by the 24th.

Lots of gas cases during month and on 24th British release gas. 1400 gas cases admitted 24th.

The only CCS open at the time was 1 Canadian CCS based in Oosthoek.

They have their own diary available on line for free.

TEW

Hi,

On 22/12/2019 at 15:34, TEW said:

...as far as I can see 91FA was at De Groote Kwint Farm

I'd agree with TEW.  Operation Order 60 (17.7.1917) referred to on the image above says...

...in the FA diary it gives a more precise location of...

Images sourced from Ancestry - diaries previously linked

On 22/12/2019 at 07:57, Fergusa said:

where exactly they were deployed etc

no Diaries exist as far as I’m aware of that era for the 325th SB

Did you look at the 1 Brigade RGA diary Max suggested in your other topic?

Regards

Chris

image.png

image.png

Chris,

So 91FA was at De Groote Kwint Farm on the 20 July 1917 and you also provide me with a cutting of a diary below.

The date showIng  24 July 1917.

Would you say with any certainty that Gunner, Fergus, AE 325th SB RGA was taken there as the remainder of this page is missing.

My guess is yes, but are there any names on the others side of the page? And where can I get a copy of the page if I’m correct in my assumption.

Is De Groote Kwint Farm marked on the map as Advanced Dressing Station M34a74? It would be interesting to locate De Groote Kwint Farm on an up to date map! 
Thank You very much

Alasdair

image.png

The casualty form says he was taken there so I think that's certain. I doubt the diary gives any names. Diary available from Ancestry or National Archives for £3.50.

91FA were at the corps main dressing station sheet 11  X.25.b.3.7. There are various trench map converters out there but sheet 11 may prove awkward.

http://rdf.muninn-project.org/TrenchCoordinates.html

The Canadian CCS diary may have more detail.

TEW

I think you must assume he was taken to 91FA and died there. I suppose he could have died while on his way there but it seems he was under the care of 91FA

Thanks!
you have all been very helpful and I can piece together both my Gr Uncles life history and the 325th SB RGB scant history.

Alasdair

Edited by Fergusa

Medical Services General History Vol 3 has the following for the relevant period;

Groote1.jpg.90aae20a176a3cd10e28efae7986c2e9.jpg

The diamond shaped markers to the west of De Groote are the CCSs but only No. 1 Canadian CCS was open 24/7/17.I'm not so certain they were involved with Fergus now. As his resting place is not far from the farm he may well have died at the farm. 1 Canadian CCS admitted 604 24/7/17, not sure where their dead were buried but possibly in Coxyde as well.

I'm not sure you can resolve the question of whether he died at the farm or the CCS. (see text below). I'd say all this points at him succumbing to gas rather than another type of injury.

groote2.jpg.67685946a6d9cd8b27a19e4ee99ae42c.jpg

Present location of De Groote Kwint Farm seems to lie under an airfield somewhere around the area of Petit Paris on this map.

TEW

TEW,

Thank you for this invaluable information. On studding the map and the some existing features on both maps mainly the railway I think I have located where De Groote Kwint Ferme is and I believe it still exists, please see below. There is a Farm that still exists in that vicinity, Address - Sint-Idesbaldusstraat 36 8630 Veurne, Belgium

Kind Regards

Alasdair

Coxyde Military Cemetery and De Groote Kwint Ferme is on today’s maps 2019.

404EBDE9-6AE9-4B28-A666-DAAAD42E0E33.png.c5cd6c6d70be84ad9819431bbc1be497.pngSatellite Image - De Groote Kwint Ferme and Coxyde Military Cemetery (marked with red dots)

12802901-4AF3-4A7D-ACBF-827478E05373.jpeg

His service recors shows the return of personal items. Hopefullt someone on here will be able to give a trench map sheet number

I found 1 map, you can see the railway and the town of Furnes, near where De Groote Kwint Ferme is.

There is a trench map in the Scottish Archives around the Niewpoort Area and one south but not East where I was hoping for,

there may not be any in that area at all?? 

Map of Front line June July 1917

FB9A13AF-23D6-4543-8AF4-51E0C3F06158.jpeg

To get the axact location you need the trench map. Does the Scottish site give a sheet number {first 2 numbers and poss a letter?