Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

91 Field Ambulance

Fergusa

I looked on Macmaster and NLS without luck. Sheet 11. The farm is just off the map edge on NLS.

Maybe a better map in a unit diary, perhaps the other field ambulances of 32 division or ADMS of the other 15 corps divisions and their FAs. 49 & 66 divs. spring to mind.

TEW 

Thanks TEW I think the sheet number should be two numbers and a letter?

Can you give the link to the one you have found?

Edited by johnboy

Post 12 has the diary extract showing the map ref. I tried last night using map ref converters but the Munnin one didn't like sheet 11.

TEW

The other sheets I can see for Nieuport area are sheets 12 & 5, no suffix letter.

TEW

There is a composite map for parts of sheets 11 & 12 at 1:40,000 showing the cmds at  Dr Groote Kwint Farm.

It's part of appendix 11 for ADMS 49 Division which is medical arrangements 4th Army July 1917. In WO95/2778/1. Page 170 of the download. Sorry, can't provide ancestry link at present.

TEW

Hi,

1 hour ago, TEW said:

There is a composite map for parts of sheets 11 & 12 at 1:40,000 showing the cmds at  Dr Groote Kwint Farm.

It's part of appendix 11 for ADMS 49 Division which is medical arrangements 4th Army July 1917. In WO95/2778/1. Page 170 of the download. Sorry, can't provide ancestry link at present.

Nice find !

On Ancestry it's here.

Regards

Chris

Thank you for spending the time finding it My grandfather was taken POW at Nieport {KRRC}

I can't quite tell from all the other related threads you have on this whether you have this already but just in case not:

While no diary for 325 Siege Battery exists, they joined 1 Brigade RGA on 23 May 17 (just after arrival in France), transferring on 6 Dec 1917 to 66 Brigade RGA  The diaries for 1 Brigade RGA covering the period are the first two here:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=garrison WO 95%2F209&_ep=1 brigade&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv  

These may help with locations and perhaps other detail.

Max

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/12/2019 at 17:14, clk said:

Hi,

I'd agree with TEW.  Operation Order 60 (17.7.1917) referred to on the image above says...

image.png.1cf59aa690a812a42bc6e94ed60b6e7e.png

...in the FA diary it gives a more precise location of...

image.png.b5843dc8626ae34555eee5a4324dfebc.png

Images sourced from Ancestry - diaries previously linked

Did you look at the 1 Brigade RGA diary Max suggested in your other topic?

Regards

Chris

Chris,

Where did you get these wee snippets??

also take it De Groote Kwint Farm was the Corps main dressing station?

this would be great to get a hold of

thanks after a re-read

Alasdair

4E051E21-AFD3-4015-8F74-C315C2AACECF.jpeg

Hi Alasdair,

On 24/12/2019 at 18:13, Fergusa said:

I’m not. Member of Ancestry! 

I think that you are trying to work with an arm behind your back.

The first image is cropped from the war diary of the ADMS 32 Division - Ancestry link. The second is cropped from the diary of 91 FA - Ancestry link. Ancestry do offer a free trial, and short term subs. Alternatively the diaries are available for a fee from the National Archives - search page.

1 hour ago, Fergusa said:

also take it De Groote Kwint Farm was the Corps main dressing station?

It would seem that way. The map that TEW pointed you towards (albeit from a different Division) shows the Corps Main Dressing Station in map square X.25, near/as per the fuller map reference from the image from the 91 FA diary.

1618486272_91FA.jpg.c433e7bd1dfe7db9c8e187a8a50d6ad5.jpg

Image sourced from Ancestry

It's quite difficult for a third party to follow you when you are cross posting on different threads. It might be worth contacting the Mods using. the " Report post" (top right hand side of a post), to see if they can tidy things up for us.

Regards

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Pte. George John Walker. 2nd Royal Munster Fusiliers 

died 10 July 1917 Age 38.

buried: - Coxyde Military Cemetery

reported in the Ripley and Heanor News Friday August 10th 1917

324C362D-2D0E-419C-9C91-A13E77D06E81.png

18324234-5AC7-4C09-AF26-8C11494B5FEE.jpeg

A2A056FE-522E-41C7-9898-E1E874D521B6.jpeg

• 4 months later...

Kew National Archives are allowing free access to WW1 war diaries during this pandemic. Register and a search is easy. I have all 3 FA diaries covering Sept 1918 for a friends grandfathers wounding. Interesting reading. You can plot where they were on period military maps available on line too. I have also plotted locations of Casualty Clearing Stations (from their diaries) nearby to the Main and Advanced Dressing Stations (both the latter operated by a Field Ambulance unit) and hope to narrow 3 candidates down to the right one. The CCS diaries also mention which Ambulance Train evacuated casualties from the CCS, every other day in my case. ! haven't yet found which train my friends casualty was evacuated on, but am hopeful!

As a key worker I will be denied access to this free access period, can this be extended to include key workers after the lock down is finished?

Hi Fergusa,

23 minutes ago, Fergusa said:

As a key worker I will be denied access to this free access period, can this be extended to include key workers after the lock down is finished?

It's very straight forward for anyone to register - the form is here. All they've said is that free access to the digital records is currently being given whilst the building is closed to the public.

Regards

Chris