Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Malins Battle of the Somme and the Battle of the Ancre

Robuk88

Hello Troops,

I've just finished the films malins produced Battle of the Somme and the Battle of the Ancre. Does anyone know if he did more? or maybe if there's a film from the german side at all?Filming our trenches etc. Thanks in advance :-)

Rob

Malins' first film was, as far as I know, his film of the Battle for the St Eloi Craters in March 1916, showing the 3rd Division. (It was misty and Malins was able to film British shells exploding on German lines.) There is a thread on it HERE. The film used to be viewable online, but I am having no luck viewing at the moment. (Perhaps the IWM have stopped their films online, or perhaps just a problem with this one. Have a google - it may be available elsewhere).

William

Edited by WilliamRev

On 04/12/2019 at 08:05, Robuk88 said:

Hello Troops,

I've just finished the films malins produced Battle of the Somme and the Battle of the Ancre. Does anyone know if he did more? or maybe if there's a film from the german side at all?Filming our trenches etc. Thanks in advance :-)

Rob

On this IWM database you will get a list of over 30 First World War films where he is credited: https://film.iwmcollections.org.uk/search/results#/?query=malins&page=1&type=list&sort=Relevance&filterBy=&spellCheck=true

17 hours ago, WilliamRev said:

Malins' first film was, as far as I know, his film of the Battle for the St Eloi Craters in March 1916, showing the 3rd Division. (It was misty and Malins was able to film British shells exploding on German lines.) There is a thread on it HERE. The film used to be viewable online, but I am having no luck viewing at the moment. (Perhaps the IWM have stopped their films online, or perhaps just a problem with this one. Have a google - it may be available elsewhere).

William

Here is a streamable copy of The Fight at St Eloi: https://film.iwmcollections.org.uk/record/4204

This was not the first film shot by Malins, some of the earliest footage shot by Malins (in an official capacity) and Tong was from November/December 1915. With The Indian Troops at the Front is believed to be one of the first films they shot, it was certainly the earliest released in cinemas, in Jan 1916. However, accoriing to Malins in "How I filmed the War" there was material he shot in 1914/15 as a freelancer as well...

Edited by 9.5mm

Hi 9.5mm

Many thanks for correcting me on on the Malins details, and especially for the link to The Fight at St Eloi which actually works!

William

The IWM team is currently working on ‘The German Retreat and The Battle of Arras’ to follow in the footsteps of their Somme and Ancre releases.

Oh, that is good news Simon!

2 minutes ago, John(txic) said:

Oh, that is good news Simon!

Don’t hold your breath though, it took years for the Ancre film to be released to the public! 

On 04/12/2019 at 08:05, Robuk88 said:

Hello Troops,

Rob

Apologies, I missed this. Yes, there was a German film of the Somme campaign: Bei unseren Helden an der Somme (1917)

Edited by 9.5mm