Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

St. Eloi attack on 27.3.1916 - video

egbert

Egbert

Can this be played online, I'm only getting a link to the catalogue item. I would like to see if the quality is better than the one I paid £27 for some years ago. My gandfather 9234 CSM George Thorneycroft is in the final frames of the film

Peter

Peter, I am afraid you must exercise patience since the IWM has massive problems with ALL their WW1 films since yesterday. I am confident that they will repair whatever is wrong with their project/contribution to the European Film Gateway institute......

Just been watching the St Eloi video (film) streaming from the IWM ok no prob's

regards

Tom

Egbert - all these links to archive film clips that you are posting are fantastic! Keep them coming.... :w00t:

William

• 4 weeks later...

I have just been watching the St. Eloi clip - brilliant for such an old film (couldn't recognise grandfather) - my only problem was the sound and that is not the film, it is my computer. Fantastic to have these online.

Sue

• 1 month later...

This month's "Britain at War" magazine (Dec 2013 issue 80) has an article about the battle of the St Eloi Craters 27th March 1916, and in particular this bit of film by Geoffrey Malins, who was to become famous three months later with his footage of the first day of the Somme.

About his film of the St Eloi attack, Lt. Geoffrey Malins wrote: "What a "scoop" this was. It was the first film that had actually been taken of a British attack. What a record."

My own interest lies in the fact that 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers (including my grandfather, then 2nd Lieut S. Revels) were in support of 1st Northumberland Fusiliers, and moved into the ground that the latter had taken. My brother and I went there this summer, and it is amazing just how tiny this battlefield is.

I strongly urge everyone to see this bit of film, knowing that it is footage of genuine WW1 combat and not staged, using Egbert's link above

William