Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alias-reasons for use of another name.

Guest D729LEE

Here is another ALIAS. The difficulty with this one is that NEITHER name appears to be on CWGC. Surely I must be mistaken.

Robbie

post-4246-1115481453.jpg

Robbie

CWGC have him as G. Elsom.

His Australian papers say he was aged 45 years when he died and born in Canning Town, Essex. Next of Kin is his sister Mrs M A Hadley of Culloden Street, Poplar. He went to Australia when aged 35 years. He had previously served in the Royal Navy.

The Australian typed index has Elson but the handwriting on the card looks like Elsom. Which is why I tried Elsom on CWGC.

Presumably the CWGC believe it is Elson (otherwise why inscribe the grave as such) but a mistake was made when scanning the register for the web database!!!

Pam

Robbie

CWGC have him as G. Elsom.

His Australian papers say he was aged 45 years when he died and born in Canning Town, Essex.  Next of Kin is his sister Mrs M A Hadley of Culloden Street, Poplar.  He went to Australia when aged 35 years.  He had previously served in the Royal Navy.

The Australian typed index has Elson but the handwriting on the card looks like Elsom.  Which is why I tried Elsom on CWGC.

Presumably the CWGC believe it is Elson (otherwise why inscribe the grave as such) but a mistake was made when scanning the register for the web database!!!

Pam

THis is fantastic thanks Pam. This is the second error spotted in a couple of days on CWGC.

Robbie

Robbie

I did some more searching after I made the initial post I think the family name probably is ELSOM.

In the September Quarter of 1892 in West Ham Matilda Anne ELSOM was married and one of the other entries on the page and therefore I belive her husband was George John Hadley. This is probably George Elsom's next of kin and sister (Mrs M A Hadley).

Matilda Anne Elsom was born in 1860 in Bethnal Green. 1871 Census has her living at 35, Rathbone Street, West Ham with her parents James and Mathilda Ann and brothers James, Henry, Richard, Elijah and Joseph again looks like ELSOM to me.

1881 Census has the family at 56, Peter Street, West Ham here we also have George aged 9 years and Elizabeth aged 7 years both born in Canning Town. The family name is written as ELSAM. Although checking with Free BMD George ELSOM birth appears to be registered in the Dec Qtr of 1871 in West Ham District (which includes Canning Town) other references to the family in BMD appear to be as ELSOM.

So it would appear that the ELSOM in the register is correct and the ELSON on the grave is incorrect.

Maybe the reason for the use of WALLACE as an alias was that there was less change of the name being misspelt/misinterpreted!!!!

Pam

Here is a headstone i saw on the recent Pals tour that shows it was not always the rank and file who got involved. Not sure of the reason though!

regards

Arm.

post-741-1115534433.jpg

Attached is a photo taken in Bailleul Communal Cemetery (Nord)  last weekend of the headstone of Septimus Armstrong who served under the name of F Douglas in the AUstralian Field Artillery 12th Brigade (147, Driver).

Here is the listing from CWGC: (Served as DOUGLAS). Son of Francis and Elizabeth Armstrong, of 100, Constitution Rd., Dulwich Hill, New South Wales. Native of Sydney, New South Wales.

Why would this man use an alias? It is obviously not a matter of being underage as he was 33 when he died on 25.6.1916.

ANy ideas gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Robbie

Hi Robbie. Would you like your mates to know you were called Septimus? Can't you just hear the Aussie pee-taking? Regards, John.

Robbie

I did some more searching after I made the initial post I think the family name probably is ELSOM.

In the September Quarter of 1892 in West Ham Matilda Anne ELSOM was married and one of the other entries on the page and therefore I belive her husband was George John Hadley.  This is probably George Elsom's next of kin and sister (Mrs M A Hadley).

Matilda Anne Elsom was born in 1860 in Bethnal Green.  1871 Census has her living at 35, Rathbone Street, West Ham with her parents James and Mathilda Ann and brothers James, Henry, Richard, Elijah and Joseph again looks like ELSOM to me.

1881 Census has the family at 56, Peter Street, West Ham here we also have George aged 9 years and Elizabeth aged 7 years both born in Canning Town.  The family name is written as ELSAM.  Although checking with Free BMD George ELSOM birth appears to be registered in the Dec Qtr  of 1871 in West Ham District (which includes Canning Town) other references to the family in BMD appear to be as ELSOM.

So it would appear that the ELSOM in the register is correct and the ELSON on the grave is incorrect.

Maybe the reason for the use of WALLACE as an alias was that there was less change of the name being misspelt/misinterpreted!!!!

Pam

Really appreciate your help with this Pam. Perhaps I should notify CWGC re the error.

Robbie

Hi Robbie. Would you like your mates to know you were called Septimus? Can't you just hear the Aussie pee-taking? Regards, John.

Indeed, John. :lol: