Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Paul Gerard OReilly

WWI Service Record for Patrick Byrne

Paul Gerard OReilly

Hello,

my grandfather, named Patrick Byrne (also known as "O'Byrne" later in life)  fought 

in the British Army during World War One.

He was born in Co. Wicklow, Ireland around 1889 (+/- 2 year).

He was injured in battle and received a Disability Pension for the rest of his life.

He lived at Harold's Cross, Dublin for most of his remaining life.  He died in the mid 1970's in

Dublin.

Accordingl to family focklore he was the victim of a mine explosion.  His shoulder was injured

but there were other injuries too.  A colleague of his died in the same explosion.

He was take off the battlefield, post battle, by the army medical team.

I dont know the battle and I have no documented evidence to support the above claims

The family would be extremely grateful for any assistance in gaining hard evidence here

Thanks

Mr Paul O'Reilly

charlie962

Paul, a needle in a haystack ?  There are in excess of 80 'P Byrne's in the Daily Casualty Lists as wounded 1914/18 and those lists are in no way complete.

Did Patrick marry during the war or have children during the war ? Certificates might give a clue to his unit ?

Charlie

ss002d6252
16 hours ago, Paul Gerard OReilly said:

Hello,

my grandfather, named Patrick Byrne (also known as "O'Byrne" later in life)  fought 

in the British Army during World War One.

He was born in Co. Wicklow, Ireland around 1889 (+/- 2 year).

He was injured in battle and received a Disability Pension for the rest of his life.

He lived at Harold's Cross, Dublin for most of his remaining life.  He died in the mid 1970's in

Dublin.

Accordingl to family focklore he was the victim of a mine explosion.  His shoulder was injured

but there were other injuries too.  A colleague of his died in the same explosion.

He was take off the battlefield, post battle, by the army medical team.

I dont know the battle and I have no documented evidence to support the above claims

The family would be extremely grateful for any assistance in gaining hard evidence here

Thanks

Mr Paul O'Reilly

Any idea on the regiment ?

Craig

Jervis

Additional info. would definitely help, but pension records might identify him. i.e. a record for P Byrne with an address of Harold’s cross Dublin would go a long way. I don’t have fold3 or WFA access to view. 

Edited by Jervis

ss002d6252
5 minutes ago, Jervis said:

Additional info. would definely help, but pension records might identify him. i.e. a record for P Byrne with an address of Harold’s cross Dublin would go a long way. I don’t have fold3 or WFA access to view. 

Nothing obvious in the records, going to need more to narrow it.

Craig

Mark1959

There are dozens of Patrick Burns living in Dublin with pension cards. As Craig has just said more info required to narrow it down