Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Possible discovery of burial place of missing airman?

Perth Digger

The 'Other' (died) was reported 1/10/18. Cited as:

British Officer Prisoners of War, August 1914 - November 1918, Published By Messrs Cox & Co.

24/8/18 seems likely for the 12/9/18 list.

TEW

Thanks TEW. The Casualty departments at the WO, C2 and C3, only accepted as official returns from the CO of a unit that came through GHQ or 3rd Echelon. Every other report of a fatality, whatever the source of the report, was unofficial. 

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Close, but no cigar, unfortunately.

I have remarkably managed to find a book containing all burials made by the Sanitäts Kompagnie of the 52nd Reserve Division. The unit had its Hauptverbandplatz in Lendelede at least from 1 to 3 October 1918 and had some burials there (among the burials was a Belgian soldier DOW). Unfortunately no mention of any airmen. There were undoubtedly other medical units in the area though, so I have to keep searching.

Jan

• 2 years later...

I was searching for Thomas Beck on googled and came across this old thread. Just wanted to say it is fascinating the different sources of information that are out there. 

Thomas was mentioned in my Grandfather's diary when he was in 48 Squadron. 

"'B' Flight had a scrap with Fokkers, 2 or 3 E.A. destroyed. Capt. Buckingham 'B' Flight Commander & Lt Beck m/c missing believed shot down in flames m/c no. 2531 (C.O.s m/c)."

Reginald White, Diary, 01/10/1918

We visited the Arras Flying Services Memorial in about 2014 and I took a photo of Thomas's name there. 

BeckTMC.JPG

HI Matthew

Thanks for posting your g/father's diary note. Yes, the variety of information is fascinating, but also very frustrating. Nothing ever matches! Still, it keeps the brain ticking over, if only slowly. 

Have you posted elsewhere on the contents of the diary? 

Best wishes

Mike

Matt

Thanks very much. It looks like a really useful website which I will certainly explore in detail.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I found several documents in the archives from the commune of Lendelede wich confirm that the date of death at CWGC is wrong.
The extract below says "Engelsche vlieger onbekend 2.10.18" (Unknown British Aviator)
Second entry is "id 1.10.18" (ditto 1.10.18)

image.jpeg.c62d7866e59e5b21f82ce21d2a4ba657.jpeg

image.png.ee0c47de64d03e03192fded0025fb0f4.png

A report has been submitted.

Luc.

That's really good news, Luc. Thanks for following it up. I hope that the CWGC is convinced. 

Mike