Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

UncleBourbon

I'm very interested in small engagements and encounters between American Expeditionary Forces and Austro-Hungarian Army soldiers due to the obscurity.

The only major battle of the Western front I'm aware of where American and Austro-Hungarian troops faced each other was the Battle of Saint-Mihiel. However I have two photos of Americans with Austro-Hungarian prisoners in Souilly, France, and I don't doubt there were small skirmishes and engagements.

I'll be posting the photos bellow. Any information on the topic is appreciated.

565095065_Austro-Hungarianprisonersonthewesternfront(theywereintheFrench-Americansector).jpg.2ca4fd7e7908c78c8c2e9ce78f40d1a5.jpg1628091776_InSouillyFranceanAmericansoldierissearchedanAustroHungariansoldiercapturedintheOrnesSectorNofVerdunduringthefightingtherebetween8and11October1918.jpg.ae4249bab59a94b687b7ce9bb2f5ce54.jpg

4thGordons

The 33rd Division astride the Meuse (crossed at Consenvoye) were opposed by well led strong Austro Hungarian units during the Meuse-Argonne offensive.

I have all sorts of details on this - what sort of thing are you interested in?

The ILNG museum in Springfield IL with whom I work a fair bit, hold a number of artifacts related to a Medal of Honor won in this engagement - which includes a Mannlicher M95 bayonet etc.

Chris

UncleBourbon
19 minutes ago, 4thGordons said:

The 33rd Division astride the Meuse (crossed at Consenvoye) were opposed by well led strong Austro Hungarian units during the Meuse-Argonne offensive.

I have all sorts of details on this - what sort of thing are you interested in?

The ILNG museum in Springfield IL with whom I work a fair bit, hold a number of artifacts related to a Medal of Honor won in this engagement - which includes a Mannlicher M95 bayonet etc.

Chris

Thank you for your reply!

Frankly the whole engagement interests me, but if I were to ask only a few questions,

Who was the Medal of Honor recipient in this engagement?

Do you have an image of the Mannlicher M95 bayonet?
Who was the commander of the Austro-Hungarians and what happened to him?
Where can I read more on this engagement in detail?

Also, I went on a cross country roadtrip last June, and while I stopped at the National WWI Museum in Kansas City, I didn't think to stop by the ILNG Museum. That will need to be a stop for another time.

4thGordons

The Medal of Honor recipient was Johannes Anderson.

I do have a picture of the bayonet but I will need to dig it out from a file somewhere. The ILNG Museum at Camp Lincoln (Springfield IL) holds Anderson's medal and a nice collection of items related to him donated by his family. They also have a diorama in the museum showing a similar action.

There are a number of accounts of the engagement - probably the best overview is in Huidekoper's multi volume Official history of the 33rd Div I have written several short summaries and presentations covering the action which I think I could send on to you when I get back to my home computer. I have quite a few maps and photos also.

Some were posted here

I am not sure what happened to the commander (he was well regarded by the American officers and I believe highly decorated by the Germans...the precise details escape me now but I should be able to supply more tomorrow)

One reference that might help:

Glaise von Horstenau,Edmund: Österreich-Ungarns letzter Krieg, 1914 - 1918 Vol. 7. Das Kriegsjahr 1918

Chris

Edit - just found a note - the Commander of the AH forces may have been : Oberstleutnant Rudolph Popelka of Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 5  and I believe he was awarded the Pour le Merit.

Edited by 4thGordons

UncleBourbon
14 minutes ago, 4thGordons said:

The Medal of Honor recipient was Johannes Anderson.

I do have a picture of the bayonet but I will need to dig it out from a file somewhere. The ILNG Museum at Camp Lincoln (Springfield IL) holds Anderson's medal and a nice collection of items related to him donated by his family. They also have a diorama in the museum showing a similar action.

There are a number of accounts of the engagement - probably the best overview is in Huidekoper's multi volume Official history of the 33rd Div I have written several short summaries and presentations covering the action which I think I could send on to you when I get back to my home computer. I have quite a few maps and photos also.

Some were posted here

I am not sure what happened to the commander (he was well regarded by the American officers and I believe highly decorated by the Germans...the precise details escape me now but I should be able to supply more tomorrow)

One reference that might help:

Glaise von Horstenau,Edmund: Österreich-Ungarns letzter Krieg, 1914 - 1918 Vol. 7. Das Kriegsjahr 1918

Chris

Edit - just found a note - the Commander of the AH forces may have been : Oberstleutnant Rudolph Popelka of Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 5  and I believe he was awarded the Pour le Merit.

Thank you again!

Very interesting information, much appreciated.

I would definitely appreciate a summary/presentation tomorrow when you have the time, if it's not too much. I'll also read the History of the 33rd Division when I have the opportunity. Right now I have several history books backlogged.
Popelka definitely seems to fit the bill. Apparently he's the only foreign born non-General to receive the Pour le Merit!

James A Pratt III

Note Austria-Hungary's last War 1914-1918 is online in both English and German and the 1918 volume does deal with the KUK Armee fighting with the US Army. Note its not that much.