Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

UncleBourbon

I'm very interested in small engagements and encounters between American Expeditionary Forces and Austro-Hungarian Army soldiers due to the obscurity.

The only major battle of the Western front I'm aware of where American and Austro-Hungarian troops faced each other was the Battle of Saint-Mihiel. However I have two photos of Americans with Austro-Hungarian prisoners in Souilly, France, and I don't doubt there were small skirmishes and engagements.

I'll be posting the photos bellow. Any information on the topic is appreciated.

565095065_Austro-Hungarianprisonersonthewesternfront(theywereintheFrench-Americansector).jpg.2ca4fd7e7908c78c8c2e9ce78f40d1a5.jpg1628091776_InSouillyFranceanAmericansoldierissearchedanAustroHungariansoldiercapturedintheOrnesSectorNofVerdunduringthefightingtherebetween8and11October1918.jpg.ae4249bab59a94b687b7ce9bb2f5ce54.jpg

The 33rd Division astride the Meuse (crossed at Consenvoye) were opposed by well led strong Austro Hungarian units during the Meuse-Argonne offensive.

I have all sorts of details on this - what sort of thing are you interested in?

The ILNG museum in Springfield IL with whom I work a fair bit, hold a number of artifacts related to a Medal of Honor won in this engagement - which includes a Mannlicher M95 bayonet etc.

Chris

19 minutes ago, 4thGordons said:

The 33rd Division astride the Meuse (crossed at Consenvoye) were opposed by well led strong Austro Hungarian units during the Meuse-Argonne offensive.

I have all sorts of details on this - what sort of thing are you interested in?

The ILNG museum in Springfield IL with whom I work a fair bit, hold a number of artifacts related to a Medal of Honor won in this engagement - which includes a Mannlicher M95 bayonet etc.

Chris

Thank you for your reply!

Frankly the whole engagement interests me, but if I were to ask only a few questions,

Who was the Medal of Honor recipient in this engagement?

Do you have an image of the Mannlicher M95 bayonet?
Who was the commander of the Austro-Hungarians and what happened to him?
Where can I read more on this engagement in detail?

Also, I went on a cross country roadtrip last June, and while I stopped at the National WWI Museum in Kansas City, I didn't think to stop by the ILNG Museum. That will need to be a stop for another time.

The Medal of Honor recipient was Johannes Anderson.

I do have a picture of the bayonet but I will need to dig it out from a file somewhere. The ILNG Museum at Camp Lincoln (Springfield IL) holds Anderson's medal and a nice collection of items related to him donated by his family. They also have a diorama in the museum showing a similar action.

There are a number of accounts of the engagement - probably the best overview is in Huidekoper's multi volume Official history of the 33rd Div I have written several short summaries and presentations covering the action which I think I could send on to you when I get back to my home computer. I have quite a few maps and photos also.

Some were posted here

I am not sure what happened to the commander (he was well regarded by the American officers and I believe highly decorated by the Germans...the precise details escape me now but I should be able to supply more tomorrow)

One reference that might help:

Glaise von Horstenau,Edmund: Österreich-Ungarns letzter Krieg, 1914 - 1918 Vol. 7. Das Kriegsjahr 1918

Chris

Edit - just found a note - the Commander of the AH forces may have been : Oberstleutnant Rudolph Popelka of Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 5  and I believe he was awarded the Pour le Merit.

Edited by 4thGordons

14 minutes ago, 4thGordons said:

The Medal of Honor recipient was Johannes Anderson.

I do have a picture of the bayonet but I will need to dig it out from a file somewhere. The ILNG Museum at Camp Lincoln (Springfield IL) holds Anderson's medal and a nice collection of items related to him donated by his family. They also have a diorama in the museum showing a similar action.

There are a number of accounts of the engagement - probably the best overview is in Huidekoper's multi volume Official history of the 33rd Div I have written several short summaries and presentations covering the action which I think I could send on to you when I get back to my home computer. I have quite a few maps and photos also.

Some were posted here

I am not sure what happened to the commander (he was well regarded by the American officers and I believe highly decorated by the Germans...the precise details escape me now but I should be able to supply more tomorrow)

One reference that might help:

Glaise von Horstenau,Edmund: Österreich-Ungarns letzter Krieg, 1914 - 1918 Vol. 7. Das Kriegsjahr 1918

Chris

Edit - just found a note - the Commander of the AH forces may have been : Oberstleutnant Rudolph Popelka of Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 5  and I believe he was awarded the Pour le Merit.

Thank you again!

Very interesting information, much appreciated.

I would definitely appreciate a summary/presentation tomorrow when you have the time, if it's not too much. I'll also read the History of the 33rd Division when I have the opportunity. Right now I have several history books backlogged.
Popelka definitely seems to fit the bill. Apparently he's the only foreign born non-General to receive the Pour le Merit!

Note Austria-Hungary's last War 1914-1918 is online in both English and German and the 1918 volume does deal with the KUK Armee fighting with the US Army. Note its not that much.

• 3 months later...

Hopefully I’m not shamed for brining up an older post- but just recently I was reading about the 316th infantry division from 1917-1919 from their official book, printed sometime in the 1930s I believe. I do recall reading about an encounter they had with A-H soldiers.  The author says they were sleeping in a basement in which I believe was Nantillois. ( can check later) The door opened, in which someone shouted “ the Germans are coming!” A few grenades were tossed in, and when the 316th made their way out of the basement, it was found that it was infact A-H troops that did the shouting and grenade throwing, with a few of their dead nearby. 

Edited by Sturmmann1918

• 1 month later...

The US 29th Division engaged  Austro-Hungarians  during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive. The 115th & 116th Infantry Regiments encountered them at Samogneux on October 8th, I beleive.

The 29th Division was operating alongside the 33rd Division.

• 4 years later...

I'd recommend you this article, "The Austro-Hungarian Divisions on the Western Front, 1918" by Ian Jones: The Austro-Hungarian Divisions on the Western Front, 1918 (osu.edu)

According to the source, the US 33rd Division along with the 29th Division did encounter the Austro-Hungarian 1st Infantry Division during the Meuse–Argonne offensive, while the one in the St. Mihiel sector is the 35th Infantry Division. They both joined the Western Front in July 1918. The sources also provide more info about the other units as well, including the artillery units that did participate in the front much earlier.