Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification of cap badge

If that is the BWM on the right then that shouldn't be a VM in the middle (wrong order) nor a 14 or 14/15 Star (if he had star then he would have received VM ribbon at same time as BWM ribbon ) ? So what would that middle ribbon be ?

9 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

VM was not authorised until after BWM, 1 September 1919

5 weeks difference in timing! So availability of correct ribbons could surely be the only factor ?

My afterthought about the BWM was that it would be inconsistent with the Army Ordnance Department cap badge. By the time he put up the BWM ribbon he should surely have been wearing the RAOC cap badge, unless of course there was a supply chain problem with the new cap badge and he carried on wearing the old Army Ordnance Department cap badge well in to 1919.

Edited by Bordercollie

Would it not be good for us, over 100 years from the event, if everyone obeyed all the rules and regulations regarding uniform, medals, weapons and the rest,

The fact is that they were people much like us, some punctilious, some idle, some lucky, some even wearing other people's uniform ........

It would be good to know this man's name though.

Three possible candidates that I can see in the October 1917 Army List.

G R Playfair

John Henry Keyes

E C Marfleet 

All were appointed Temporary Commissary of Ordnance and Hon Major and were awarded both the MC and the 1914 Star.

I have discounted G J Gay who earned a Mention in Dispatches in 1916 but was also a Temporary Commissary of Ordnance and Hon Major with an MC and 1914 Star