Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Stanley Lockwood

blackburnian

3 hours ago, helpjpl said:

1.  What is George Stanley Lockwood's 'Occupation' on the 1918 marriage certificate ? (Civil Registration Marriage Index from ancestry)

Emily.jpg.aa24d80ee3b619e65fc34445d65e916f.jpg

2.  Are these the other 2 marriages ? (Civil Registration Marriage Indexes from ancestry):

Esther.jpg.255394fb050913dbee9b4ef7bf45e26b.jpg

Sarah.jpg.e0abdce8d4962d182152f6107d0dc149.jpg

3.  Did he die 14 September 1985 ? (Civil Registration Death Index, ancestry):

George.jpg.f476efe47f00c8c54ee1f85788a125ea.jpg

JP

His occupation is given as soldier on his first marriage certificate. You have correctly identified the other two marriages and his death registration.

Hello Coldashian

Apologies but I have only today, via an email picked up your message. Please forgive but I have not yet read the thread. Uncle George was my Great Uncle, who was married to one of my Granddad Cumpstey’s sisters, Emily. Uncle George was fondly remembered in the Cumpstey family even following Auntie Emily’s death and him re-marrying on two further occasions. He was always invited and always attended any family weddings, funerals etc. I don’t know whether you are aware that he was a Bernardo’s Boy and had a very sad, harrowing and, in some, ways tragic childhood. As a BB he was s3nt over to Canada at one point but returned to England. The furthest I got was that he was in the London Rifles? This knowledge gained through correspondence I have if his. My search began when I saw a photograph of him in uniform with Auntie Emily.

I will read your thread and come back to you.

Kind Regards

Blackburnian. He 

11 minutes ago, blackburnian said:

Hello Coldashian

Apologies but I have only today, via an email picked up your message. Please forgive but I have not yet read the thread. Uncle George was my Great Uncle, who was married to one of my Granddad Cumpstey’s sisters, Emily. Uncle George was fondly remembered in the Cumpstey family even following Auntie Emily’s death and him re-marrying on two further occasions. He was always invited and always attended any family weddings, funerals etc. I don’t know whether you are aware that he was a Bernardo’s Boy and had a very sad, harrowing and, in some, ways tragic childhood. As a BB he was s3nt over to Canada at one point but returned to England. The furthest I got was that he was in the London Rifles? This knowledge gained through correspondence I have if his. My search began when I saw a photograph of him in uniform with Auntie Emily.

I will read your thread and come back to you.

Kind Regards

Blackburnian. He 

So very good to hear from you. We did know of his very difficult start in life and have received information about this from Barnadoes. I think some of the helpful people on this forum have begun to fill in a few gaps for us, as he did not talk about his early life very much. We were very happy to see your photo of him in uniform. We have a service number for the London Rifles but have not found out any further details than this of his UK service. My inlaws found a few personal items from his Barnadoes days when clearing the house following Sallie's death, which might be of interest to you. We would be interested in any further information you could share with us.

With my very best wishes.

Coldashian

Coldashian

Many thanks for responding. The contributors to the GWF are superb and their knowledge and ability to search and identify information is outstanding. I know when I was researching my Granddad’s Great War Service I was able to get an almost blow by blow account which enabled me to write my Granddad’s War story. Reading through the responses to you trying to identify Uncle George was similar to my experience. The Derbyshire/Nottingham connection was prominent but it was a little frustrating when you knew the information you held was contrary to that. 

I do have some information on Uncle George’s Barnardos experiences but if you have more that would be of interest to me. I think the outcome as far as I was aware was that Uncle George didn’t appear to serve abroad. I will re-visit what I have and come back to you. I have a few photos of uncle George taken over the years. He was a great character, very friendly and personable with a dry sense of humour. I used to see him many a time with Sallie in Town and he was always interested to see how I was going on.

Best Wishes

Blackburnian

Dear Blackburnian

It is good to be in touch with you and I look forward to hearing from you again with any further information you might have on George.

Very best wishes,

@blackburnian and @Coldashian great to see you are now in touch.

The mention of a photo of George LOCKWOOD in uniform is interesting and I wonder if it could perhaps be shared here on GWF ?? - who knows what might be deduced?

M

1.  1911 Census of Canada (transcription from ancestry) - George Lockwood lived with farmer Andrew Stewart and his wife Christina Ann Stewart nee Henry. Andrew was born 03 December 1872 and Christina 29 August 1875:

1911.jpg.23f06e82185c671b171e59bfea5020ef.jpg

2.  Andrew (1872-1961) and Christina (1875-1938) -  Mount Forest Cemetery, Southgate Township, Grey County, Ontario:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/199352655/andrew-s-stewart

JP

23 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

@blackburnian and @Coldashian great to see you are now in touch.

The mention of a photo of George LOCKWOOD in uniform is interesting and I wonder if it could perhaps be shared here on GWF ?? - who knows what might be deduced?

M

Blackburnian shared the photo in the original GWF thread from 2019. Not sure if we can still see that - still trying to find how everything works! The uniform didn't have any badges/markings on at all, so not sure that helps - unless that means something in itself??

24 minutes ago, Coldashian said:

Blackburnian shared the photo in the original GWF thread from 2019. Not sure if we can still see that - still trying to find how everything works! The uniform didn't have any badges/markings on at all, so not sure that helps - unless that means something in itself??

This must be that thread/post with photo - good to get a face to a name.

M

6 minutes ago, helpjpl said:

Here is the 2019 thread. The photo of George was posted 24 November - on page 2:

See above :thumbsup: [unfortunately my link didn't go straight to the photo :-(]

Thanks for rotating the photo - I was getting a crick in the neck!

M

Edited by Matlock1418