Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform identification

Lizz

Hello Lizz,  George's enlistment papers don't state a home address,  or a next of kin.    I don't know if you are aware,  but the record office where the vast majority the great war soldiers records were stored took a direct hit during the blitz in the second war.  Many records were burnt to a crisp, and others badly damaged.  Georges enlistment papers are accidently included in Franks file. I expect someone scooped up a a pile  and grouped them together either immediately in the aftermath,  or the team that digititised them didn't notice the change of first name. 

Edited by Gunner Hall
edited for clarity!

9 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

Hello Lizz,  George's enlistment papers don't state a home address,  or a next of kin.    I don't know if you are aware,  but the record office where the vast majority the great war soldiers records were stored took a direct hit during the blitz in the second war.  Many records were burnt to a crisp, and others badly damaged.  Georges enlistment papers are accidently included in Franks file. I expect someone scooped up a a pile  and grouped them together either immediately in the aftermath,  or the team that digititised them didn't notice the change of first name. 

Those records were stored at Percy  House school along with other WW1 stuff, the school was hit by incendiray bombs. thousand of records had been removed for assesment with a view to destroying them, those are refered to on Ancestry as Pension Records which is wrong. There were also many many sets of  records still use in pension offices the length and breadth of the country, they were destroyed when pension ofices were amalgamated or closed.

When I was reseaching my patch on Ancestry, I found many mistakes in their indexing and papers in wrong files, I actually recieved over  150 thank you's from Ancestry for corrections.

Edited by Retlaw

Thanks Retlaw,  I didn't know that the records from non-effective soldiers (those who were discharged as a result of wounds etc)  - went to Percy House,    Arnside House was bombed,  (creating the burnt records)   but it seems that Goering  had it in for record repositories generally if Percy House was blitzed too.