Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal engineer arm band - what is it for ?

A first world war photo in a family album. Royal engineers cap badge. An arm band of white and probably blue stripe. I have found a very similar one on the internet and it is blue and white. The photo is 

cut off so no triangle would be visible. I don't know his identity. any information gratefully received. What does the arm band signify?

• ss002d6252 changed the title to Royal engineer arm band - what is it ?
12 minutes ago, Allibags said:

A first world war photo in a family album. Royal engineers cap badge. An arm band of white and probably blue stripe. I have found a very similar one on the internet and it is blue and white. The photo is 

cut off so no triangle would be visible. I don't know his identity. any information gratefully received. What does the arm band signify?

Can you post the picture ?

Craig

• ss002d6252 changed the title to Royal engineer arm band - what is it for ?

I agree that it seems to be the arm band signifying a member of the Signal Service of the Corps of Royal Engineers.

49ADF87C-5178-4AEC-9F77-1A0FDF215C34.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hi Allibags and welcome to the forum.

My grandfather, a Signal Engineer, had this photo taken by the London Portrait Company and it shows the armband we suspect you are referring to.

Cheers,

Bill

1266040260_ESFLondonPortraitCompanywithSignalBrassard.jpg.8c3452028696a97a7b56b04ec15b9534.jpg