Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Why did soldiers wear armbands?

neesie

Since seeing several photographs of my grandfather in WW1 uniform (Royal Engineers I think)I have managed to find out what most of the insignia etc on his uniform meant, i.e. he has good conduct and wound stripes on his left arm and his corporal stripes are obvious. However I am puzzled by the armbands he is wearing on one or both arms in some of the photos. Can anyone tell me the significance of the wearing of armbands?

Thanks

Denise

What do they look like? I'm presuming that they're white on top and dark underneath - they're white and blue armbands, worn to show they're part of the Signals section

Since seeing several photographs of my grandfather in WW1 uniform (Royal Engineers I think)I have managed to find out what most of the insignia etc on his uniform meant, i.e. he has good conduct and wound stripes on his left arm and his corporal stripes are obvious. However I am puzzled by the armbands he is wearing on one or both arms in some of the photos. Can anyone tell me the significance of the wearing of armbands?

Thanks

Denise

Denise - Armbands / Brassards have been discussed quite a lot previously including THIS EXCELLENT THREAD which you might find helpful.

You should remember that the photographic process most often in use in 14-18 (orthographic film) renders colours differently than you might expect (reds and yellows often dark as the film responds to the opposite end of the light spectrum) from modern B/W film. But perhaps you can identify the ambands from the information in this thread?

Alternatively put the pictures up here and let the experts have a look!

Chris

Denise,

The royal Signals was not formed until 1922. During WW1, signals was provided by the Royal Engineers. Signallers wore a Blue and White armband, usually on the right arm, the White uppermost.

Tony P

Remember also that armbands were issued for special operations

From Battalion Orders dated 12th November 1916

Specially detailed runners for each Company will wear the letter "R"(already issued) on the left sleeve above the elbow.This will enable these men to use any trench in any direction they may require without being held up by the Trench Traffic Control Posts.

George

Also some prisoners of war wore armbands. If in kit, I would go for Signaller, however...

Steve.

As well as the very comprehensive list in the link on Chris's posting, armbands were sometimes produced for ad hoc situations such as training exercises (so as to show who was on which side).

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I think from all the information you have given the armbands are probably those of a signaller. Here is one of the photos, don't know why I didn't include one the first time, must have been too late at night for my brain to function properly.

Denise

post-45858-1241543022.jpg

looks like signals - so it would (roughly) have looked like this:

post-14525-1241545917.jpg

Chris

In Verdun, German assault troops wore a white brassard on the left arm to distinguish them from the French

By early 1916 most of the Germans were wearing Pickelhauben with the spike removed, which made the helmets look a lot like the French Adrian. If men were covered with mud and the battlefield was swathed in smoke and/or fog, it would be easy to mistake your friend for your enemy, and vice versa.

Here's a German attack on Haumont, February 21, 1916, at 5:00 P.M. All the troops wear bright, white armbands.

post-7020-1241566931.jpg